Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  25    27    29  ..  37
Author: Subject: HURRICANE WARNING FOR BAJA - ODILE - AFTERMATH
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 02:31 PM

Any photos EcoMujeres? Or does she have them on her Facebook page?

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 02:34 PM

New from the Associated Press:

http://news.msn.com/world/mexico-to-airlift-tourists-after-h...

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

vjfamily
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 02:39 PM

Where on the web is the info about the Cabo airport? Can you post the link?
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 02:42 PM

The link I just posted mentions the condition of the Cabo airport, and the current state of reparations. Read the story.

86 - 45*

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
i'm getting very worried for our friends.

The cell tower is probably out as none of our local friends have been on facebook, including some of the kids there who are on facebook 24/7.

The same seems to be true for Abreojos.

Hopefully word will get out soon.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha

A little heads-up nugget near the end of that article - especially the last sentence:

"Farther south in the Pacific, Tropical Storm Polo formed off southern Mexico early Tuesday. It was centered 275 miles (440 kilometers) south of Acapulco with maximum sustained winds of 40 mph (65 kph), and was moving northwest parallel to the coast at 12 mph (19 kph). The hurricane center predicted that Polo could become a hurricane later in the week."

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by StuckSucks
Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha

A little heads-up nugget near the end of that article - especially the last sentence:

"Farther south in the Pacific, Tropical Storm Polo formed off southern Mexico early Tuesday. It was centered 275 miles (440 kilometers) south of Acapulco with maximum sustained winds of 40 mph (65 kph), and was moving northwest parallel to the coast at 12 mph (19 kph). The hurricane center predicted that Polo could become a hurricane later in the week."

Too true; there's already a thread on BN about TS Polo and its' potential; again, anyone thinking of heading south PLEASE keep posted on Polo's status; could be a repeat performance.... or shall we say, a re-re-re-repeat performance!

86 - 45*

Johannes
Nomad

Mood: I love it in Loreto

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 03:14 PM

The problem that we don't hear or see any thing from BCS is that the fiberoptic cables have been damaged.
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 03:18 PM

Looks like we're just going to have to be patient; weird because usually by now we would have had a few bits of information about Mulege town, homes on the river, etc; must be that they really are cut off from communication due to the fiberoptic cables plus lack of power. I know a lot of us are just waiting to hear anything so to the extent anybody speaks to someone in Mulege & gets info please post it ASAP.
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 03:20 PM

Bush Pilots International reports that all airspace in mid and south Baja is closed to civilian traffic, the airports are all closed. BPI expects the military will ask the Mexican Red Cross to help with relief. In the past they have called upon the Bush Pilots International group (Baja Bush Pilots) to assist with relief flights into Serenidad. They hired a bulldozer to clear the airstrip last time. They will travel to Santa Rosalia and Mulege by ferry from Guymas to asses the situation for relief flights. The military has a big job to do now.
Vince
Nomad

Bush Pilots International reports that all airspace in mid and south Baja is closed to civilian traffic, the airports are all closed. BPI expects the military will ask the Mexican Red Cross to help with relief. In the past they have called upon the Bush Pilots International group (Baja Bush Pilots) to assist with relief flights into Serenidad. They hired a bulldozer to clear the airstrip last time. They will travel to Santa Rosalia and Mulege by ferry from Guymas to asses the situation for relief flights. The military has a big job to do now.
Vince
Nomad

Vince
Nomad

Vince
Nomad

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 03:24 PM

More info from Latitude 38, mainly about boats, boaters, etc.

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=...
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 03:25 PM

Just received a live report from someone on the scene before their cell phone went dead. All the windows in my condominium on the beach on the Corridor have been blown out. I can't imagine what the damage is to the interior and furnishings. There is no electricity, no telephone, no Internet, no groceries (looted and/or stores closed) and the roads are impassable in Los Cabos.

We are feeling the effects of Odile in SoCal this afternoon - huge thunderheads, windy, and very humid. No rain yet but threatening.

Not a good day.
fishnbaja1

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 03:27 PM
Mulege photo - by La Hielera

Here's a picture I just received from Mulege. It appears I don't know how to add attachments. The photo is from Carlos Milon and is being shared in FB.

[Edited on 9-16-2014 by fishnbaja1]
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 03:27 PM
From Baja Bush Pilots, current status

Hurricane Odile
All airspace and airports in mid to south Baja are closed.

BBP is in continual contact with SENAM regarding the status of airports in Baja. All airspace in the affected area of the hurricane as well as the following airports are closed to civilian traffic via a Presidential mandated International NOTAM through September 22. This closure may be extended without notice.
-Los Cabos (San Jose del Cabo) -Cabo San Lucas -La Paz -Loreto

Mexico’s Military has taken control of the above airports and only Mexican military aircraft will be allowed to land/depart from those airports. Any aircraft violating the airspace or attempting to land at any of the above airports will be grounded at that airport until the national emergency is over.
This emergency is so extreme that the military has taken control of all phases of the situation and at this time, has not called in any of its resources including the Mexican Red Cross. Claudia and I are in the process of ramping up in anticipation of a call from the Mexican Red Cross. At that time we will be asking for medical support, relief items, as well as aircraft/helicopters and pilots.

With the Cabo, LaPaz, and Guerrero Negro having airports, we anticipate that our needs will be in mid Baja where there is little transportation. We anticipate that we will be requested to obtain and deliver supplies as well as do search & rescue from the Mulege area. Last year the BBP had to hire a loader, grader, and a dump truck to get the strip at Mulege usable. I have to assume it will be the same this year. Punta Chivato and Palo Verde should be open however, the roads to both will be impassable.

Once our help is requested, I plan to drive to Guaymas where I will take the ferry to Santa Rosalia. There I will assess the damage and either drive (questionable) or hitch a ride in a military aircraft to Mulege where I will start the process of determining where a landing area should be set up. At that point, I will put out a call for people to bring down relief items.
This will be another long and complicated mission however it is something that we just have to do.
We believe our needs will be for:
*Pilots w/aircraft to solicit relief goods and supplies and to bring these goods to either Loreto or the landing area at Mulege when called for
*Pilots w/helicopters to work the back areas
Regarding money, in the past I was able to get Mexico to pay for some fuel and landing fees however, that happened about three weeks into the operation. At this point, all will have to pay their own expenses.

That being said, anticipating another national emergency, we set up the Bush Pilot Foundation two years ago. It is a tax deductible 501 (c) (3) corporation and is dedicated to, among other things, general aviation including search and rescue, evacuation, and disaster relief through the transport and distribution of food and supplies in the United States and countries in the western hemisphere to provide humanitarian services in time of need. At this time it has a little over $5,000
We are looking for donations for this cause. The BBP has contributed over $10,000 for relief efforts in the past. The BBP does not have that kind of money now. Your help in funding our efforts is critical. Please send an email to the BBP office if you can help out regarding our aircraft/relief needs.
If you can help out with money, our attorney indicates that you can use your credit card to contribute and we will move that deposit into the Foundation account.
Our hearts go out to the people of Baja and how they must be suffering. The BBP is stepping up to the plate and hopeful that all who enjoy the pleasure, people, and friendship that we gain in Mexico will also step up and donate to this critical cause.
Jack
www.bajabushpilots.com

For those looking to donate, Baja Bush Pilots has many years of this type of service under their belts and are a bona-fide agent of humanitarian aid. They will be there as quickly as it is possible and doing long hours of heavy lifting delivering medivac, food pack delivery, and other critical services, particularly in hard to reach areas that have no other source of assistance. I bunked w/Jack one night shortly after H.John, and they had picked up a guy w/a broken femur, hours west of town, who was being hauled into town on a burro. He was happy for the lift. Burro was happy too.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Johannes
Nomad

Mood: I love it in Loreto

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 03:38 PM

Now the airport in Cabo shows off again:o
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 03:52 PM
Re: Any photos?

Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed
Any photos EcoMujeres? Or does she have them on her Facebook page?

No, there arenŽt any new photos since there is no phone service or electricity there. Will likely be many days for that. Only photos come from a few hours before the power went down on Monday.

Perhaps Bob and Sue or other nomads off the power grid and using satelite link for email will be going into town some time in the next few days and can post.

IŽll pass on any news I get through FB via friends/family who make contact and share the news.

http://www.lasecomujeres.org (Bilingual environmental education about Baja California)

Check out: http://www.meloncoyote.org (project of Journalism to Raise Environmental Awareness; a quarterly news bulletin for the Gulf of California Region).
 Pages:  1  ..  25    27    29  ..  37

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.