Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  26    28    30  ..  37
Author: Subject: HURRICANE WARNING FOR BAJA - ODILE - AFTERMATH
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 03:56 PM

Fishnbaja1, can you check your U2U please?
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 04:12 PM

Here´s the photo that Carlos Milon sent via Facebook that fishnbaja didn´t post:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ecomujeres/15075934477/in/set-...

http://www.lasecomujeres.org (Bilingual environmental education about Baja California)

Check out: http://www.meloncoyote.org (project of Journalism to Raise Environmental Awareness; a quarterly news bulletin for the Gulf of California Region).
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 04:18 PM

Any word from Bahia de los Angeles? It looks like the t-storm went right over the top of them.

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
pacside
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 04:21 PM
Cerritos, Pescadero, Todos

Caretaker texted me the following re my casa on cerritos beach in Pescadero south of Todos Santos:

"Lost 6 big sliders, 4 solar panels. A good amount of fence (palo de arco) and lots of sand in the house. All gas stations and stores are badly damaged. There are electrical posts down everywhere (Todos and Pescadero). No major permanent damage to casa, just plenty of cleanup. There is a shell of a trailer in front and lots of junk".

He also said the mayan huts on cerritos beach next door...www.cerritossurfcolony.com..are damaged bad, lost some walls, windows and sliders and their pool must have at least a truck full of sand in it. Said they lost the big hut. Said beach is unusable...too much junk..metal, wood, plastic everywhere.

He said he'll take pictures when he can get his phone charged.
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 04:22 PM

Lots of rain at BOLA.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 04:26 PM

Good point to be made about what your caretaker said about his phone, Pacside.

Even if cell service is restored in towers with backup generators and batteries, if there is no power in towns like Mulege and others, people's cell phones may not last long if there is no way to charge them.

Time for a deep breath and to realize it's time to wait and see...

http://www.lasecomujeres.org (Bilingual environmental education about Baja California)

Check out: http://www.meloncoyote.org (project of Journalism to Raise Environmental Awareness; a quarterly news bulletin for the Gulf of California Region).
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 04:35 PM

For a few photos from Bob and Sue and a brief report on Mulege, visit the forum topic titled:

Anything from Mulege

I agree with the person who started the new topic that it's probably a good idea to break up the topics by community to help keep up with all the posts as they will hopefully start to come in in the next few days for each of the communities affected...

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 05:03 PM

I know that many folks on this forum have a certain disdain for Cabo.

However, My first arrival there was in 1983. It was still quite the sleepy fishing town. I certainly have not been happy with the incredible growth in the area since, including the huge resorts and the big box stores. But I do recognize that love it or hate it, Cabo is a major economic engine for BCS. Be it foreign tourists or the Hollywood crowd, a ton of money pours into the area yearly. I'm hoping for a quick recovery, if only for those whose incomes will be affected by the many closures of businesses.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 05:09 PM

Cant argue that...

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 05:26 PM
RAIN NORTH OF PUERTECITOS

On the South Campos Facebook page, from Campo Los Pulpos, km. 48.5...

Reply from Nuevo Mazatlan (Km. 32) has it not there yet...

That was about 3:30pm PDT

'Baja's South Campos Amigos' on Facebook

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 05:38 PM

This just in from long time Mulege resident Suzie Robison:
Cliff just called me on a satellite phone, and the flooding was very
bad. In our house it went over the loft area, or about 6-7 feet. There
is no electricity or cell phone service. You can not drive into the
Oasis. He says not to come at this time because of no infrastructure
and mosquitos we talked a very short time .
Susie

That means likely into my attic a ways at #56 Oasis (Cliff's loft is closer to 8ft than 6). gotta be a lot of glass damage at that water level, not to mention the mud & etc. Crap.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 05:57 PM

For those thinking they might want to head down right now, DON'T.

This posted on Facebook earlier today:

"Civil Protection, Division of Municipal Roads and Transportation states that San Pablo Arroyo, near Vizcaino is running and there is still no passage for trucks and buses, let alone passenger cars...likewise, they state that there are landslides on the Tres Virgenes and Infierno grades near Santa Rosalia and these will have to be removed in order to allow transit. We are waiting on a report from Mulege...

Proteccion civil, pfp división caminos y tránsito mpal. Informan que el arroyo de San Pablo, a la altura de vizcaíno esta crecido y todavía no hay paso ni para camiones,ni autobuses y mucho menos para carros chicos...de igual manera informan de deslaves el la cuesta de las vírgenes y el infierno que están siendo o tienen que ser removidas para que haya paso a la altura de santa Rosalía ...estamos esperando reporte de Mulege

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
While searching for updates, I found this:

Spellcheck, conquered.

Hurricane Hunters
Resume regular broadcast.

wtf

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 06:38 PM
Cabo Pulmo - seeking info

We were planning to drive to Pulmo the first week of October. Obviously, will now be watching posts re road conditions, etc., and needed supplies. We haven't heard any news from our friends there. I noticed that a number of threads re specific cities/areas were moved to the forum for "Questions re Baja" and I'm concerned that people with info may not be checking that forum, so am re-posting inquiry here for anyone with additional news. We've heard that the arroyo between La Ribera and Pulmo is currently impassable.
Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 07:30 PM

San Juanico/Punta Pequeña

I have word that the town was hit by strong winds and heavy rains, but so far as I know nothing catastrophic. There are impassable arroyos 8 miles south of town, and so the town is unreachable from the south and must also be unreachable from the north roads. I know that my own home there suffered minor water damage, and that the people I know there are safe and sound. I have a photo of a running arroyo but have no idea how to post it on this site.

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by Zola]

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr. Seuss

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
Ford
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:12 PM

No word at all from zacatitos or playa tortuga just south of San Jose. For those of you that know Lou Quaccia, you know how diligent he is about keeping all of us informed of weather conditions. I have not heard a word from him since 8:30AM Sunday morning. He said he would report at 2:00pm if possible. I am really nervous about them, our caregivers (who live next door) and all the people in baja. We are so accustomed to instant info, days of no info is horrible!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:31 PM

I just got off the land line phone at the police station in Bahia Asuncion. Well amigos, once again Asuncion has proved an amazing place to live. Yes there were stong winds but very little rain so no flooding! Whew...did you all hear that huge sigh of relief.

There is no cell service or internet but land lines seem to work on and off. The cell tower in Sta.Rosalia was knocked down and there is no paso to Vizcaino. The buses from the north stop at Guerrro Negro as the big arroyo between GN & Vizcaino is running as they received lots of rain. I will call again tomorrow to see if the road is open. Might be my last day in the big city...Ensenada. There is no place like home.

my heart goes out to all who suffered losses and are dealing with all the damage...aid is on the way on several levels.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Jaybo
Nomad

Mood: Praying for Baja!

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 09:16 PM

This was posted on Trip Advisor a bit ago. He does encourage tourists in Cabo to do their best to get to the airport.
Travelers, and worried family and friends
4 of us just made it back into the US from Cabo over the last couple of hours. Our trip took us to Tijuana via military plane, then to the border via military uncovered van, a short walk across the border, a cab and rental car to go to the airport and our next flight.
Please let anyone stranded know to try and get to the San Jose del Cabo airport when they can as that is how we were able to get out. The Mexican military had planes to Tijuana, Mexico City and Masatlan running all day today from roughly 8:30am and will run until 9pm. If not able to get out, The Best Western Aeropuerto is just down the road and hotel manager Ivonne Gutierrez were great in taking care of us and giving us information as were other atranded travelers.
We won't be home until tomorrow but I want to try and post some information for others who are stranded or for worried family and/or friends. I'll try to post more information and answer what I can and hopefully others can jump in with answers
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 06:52 AM

Good to know that the gov is flying people out to functioning airports. I've read there are 30,000 stranded tourists in Los Cabos.

Move the tourists out, move the construction, cleaning, and repair workers in. Get ready for the winter tourists.
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 07:06 AM

From The US Consulate

Quote:
Hurricane Odile in Baja California Sur

U.S. officials are closely monitoring Hurricane Odile and its effects on Mexico. The safety and security of U.S. citizens overseas is a top priority of the Department of State. Though Baja California Sur is a popular destination for U.S. tourists, the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana has received no reports of reports of U.S. citizens killed or injured in Baja California Sur.

Information on Evacuation Flights

The Mexican government has begun military evacuation flights from San Jose de los Cabos International Airport, Los Cabos Airport, and La Paz Airport. U.S. citizen travelers and residents in the area should assess the safest route to the nearest airport and move there expeditiously during daylight hours. For additional information on these evacuation flights, please contact local authorities. Flights have been arriving in Tijuana, Mazatlan, Guadalajara and Mexico City. U.S. government personnel are at airports providing assistance to U.S. citizens.

For U.S. Citizens Affected by Hurricane Odile, or their Relatives:

The State Department has established a crisis hotline to respond to inquiries about current conditions and loved ones in the impacted area. If you require assistance personally, or wish to inquire on behalf of a friend or family member, please use the following contact information:

From the U.S. & Canada: 1-888-407-4747
From Overseas: 1 202-501-4444
Email: OdileEmergencyUSC@state.gov

You can also alert us to U.S. citizens affected by the storm, including yourself, by visiting https://tfa.state.gov/ccd, selecting “2014 Hurricane Odile,” and providing as much information as possible.

We can confirm that, because of damage the storm caused, the airport in Los Cabos is temporarily closed to commercial flights. Commercial flights will be available once the airport reopens. If you have flight tickets, you should confirm your flight status with your airline before departing for the airport.

Please see the Emergency Message on the homepage of the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana (http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/service.html) for links to various websites that provide further information about the progress of the storm, as well as contact information for the Consulate and the U.S. Department of State.

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion
 Pages:  1  ..  26    28    30  ..  37

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.