Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  28    30    32  ..  37
Author: Subject: HURRICANE WARNING FOR BAJA - ODILE - AFTERMATH
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 01:14 PM

Getting through to Loreto now on land lines.. power and internet back on.. so magicjack lines should be working..
Still no water service in town.. Town faired OK, based on the size of this storm.. Road South to La Paz is open, about 5 five hours to get through..

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 01:21 PM

Thanks Kris! Stay safe amigo!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 01:36 PM

I contacted the incoming president of Mulege Rotary, they will stand ready to coordinate relief efforts for the Mulege area to the extent out-of-area efforts can serve that goal. He is hitting 3 area Rotary clubs for donational assistance starting today.

I encourage other Baja area Rotarians to set up donation collection north of Mexico & figure out distribution in your area. Mulege has some experience with that due to prior floods. Bomberos set up distribution for in-kind donations and we send most stuff that direction. The Padre at the Catholic church is another trusted distributor. Saul Davis & his family have assembled food packets for the needy based on our funding, and that has worked brilliantly. The key in distribution is the trust factor that distributions will be equitable. Your points of distribution may vary; it takes local knowledge.

This just in by email from Baja Bush Pilots:
They are not set up to take PayPal donations, but you can contribute to their 501(c)3 relief fund by calling their office w/a credit card billing for the donation- Office phone: 480.730-3250
or you can mail in a check marked Baja Relief:
Bush Pilots Intl.
149 W Boston St
Chandler, AZ 85225
These guys will cut a wide swath and will be an additional drop off point for material donations that will go to the outback residents of Baja affected by the flood.

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by EngineerMike]

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
fishnbaja1

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 01:53 PM

Here are some photos from the Orchard in Mulege.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1....
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 02:01 PM

Landline phone is on in Mulege as of an hour ago. Just spoke w/a buddy there.
Saul's store had 1/2meter of floodwater, about 2ft lower than Jimena.
No electricity, no water. City water needs electricity for the pump & they'll need to put the pump back on the well first (they remove it for floods).
Confirmed only two stores operating, Pinguino & Ayleth, on generators.
My friends haven't been very far off the hill where they live above Saul's store due to impassible road conditions, mostly downed poles & debris tho some ruined roads as well. So they didn't have specific info on other folks & properties.

From the loss of roof tile on the house on left of that last Orchard photo link, I'd guess 12ft floodwater in the Orchard, couple of feet less than Jimena again. That seems to be the common denominator on flood level.

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by EngineerMike]

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Jonno_aus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 02:14 PM

"Good to know that the gov is flying people out to functioning airports. I've read there are 30,000 stranded tourists in Los Cabos.
Move the tourists out, move the construction, cleaning, and repair workers in. Get ready for the winter tourists."

Hey that's new one on me. Sounds made up from the government. Hundreds or even thousands coming to La Paz to try and fly out. Maybe thousand already here. It's chaos at the airport here. No info. No officials giving info. No supposed military flights. No word on how people with no money, and up until this afternoon, phone service, no food of water can fly home.

Was getting a little restless waiting with friends at airport today. As usual, very little organisation. So few were prepared for this which I find not that hard to believe. Not a real forward thinking culture. No offense to any mexican posters, but if you're banging on a Oxxo the day after for food and water, you're not prepared.

In fact, if you don't have at least 3-4 days minimum food and water, and 7 days is minimum for me, you havn't prepared.
pacside
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 02:22 PM

Also posted on Todos Santos thread:

Re Casa on Cerritos beach

Guests decided to stay in casa Sunday night against my instructions to evacuate. Fortunately they are fine. They said 2 waves made it into casa.

Cell service on and off.
rufflife
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 02:34 PM

It is a little early to tell... Hopefully Polo will keep shifting to the west.

http://eebmike.com/
jakethedog
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 02:47 PM

La Paz update: Just talked via cell to friend and he states power is up in some places. He has gotten gas and just pulled up to bank that is open and getting money to people.
Over all states it is super bad, not that we didn't know.
Most boats at Costa Baja did fine...phone broke up and no more.

Wal mart also open

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by jakethedog]
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 02:51 PM

There is only ONE photo that is connected to the link you provided.

Quote:
Originally posted by fishnbaja1
Here are some photos from the Orchard in Mulege.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1....

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 02:57 PM

Udo, they are posted on the Mulege thread (top of page 3)
Jaybo
Nomad

Mood: Praying for Baja!

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 03:45 PM

This is very disturbing. I was reading this Facebook Group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/727074667339978/

They are reporting that massive looting is going on as well as violence. Military there is supposedly not doing anything about it. Society there is breaking down and this is very very bad news if it is true.
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 03:46 PM

Centenario- I just got an email from my contractor with a photo of my house and the doors and windows survived, and held out against the storm. Others close by were not so lucky. The generator is off or out of fuel, and we lost lots of beautiful fish , shrimp, and lobsters in the freezer. Both car's back windows were blown out, and we'll take it as it's better than 99% of others in La Paz/ Centenario. WE head back on Thursday to see what we can do to help out.

Life is too short to drink bad wine
bazinga
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 04:10 PM

Power, internet back on, water is to be back on shortly. Hardly any standing water in the street, all stores open. Not much flooding from what I have seen so far.

City trash truck was just here, they are picking up all the debris from peoples yards. All in all, not nearly as bad as it could have been.

I wish everybody the best on luck.

I forgot to mention that this post is from Loreto.
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 04:35 PM

News announcement from Radio Kashana in Sta. Rosalia today (also posted on Mulege thread).

Please excuse any typos I might have made...You can read the original in Spanish here:

http://www.radiokashana.org/noticias/2-desaparecidos-1-herid... br />
Two missing, one injured, damage incalculable in wake of Odile in Mulege.

Hurricane Odile passed through Santa Rosalia, BCS the night of Sept. 15th as a Category 1 storm. The majority of the population was left without internet service at about 6 pm, when there was a complete blackout as well as cell service in town.

Radio stations that have their repeater stationed in Sta. Rosalia also stopped functioning at that time, leaving the population without communication (as of this edition, the signal still has not been reestablished), with the only means of communication being spotty land line connections.

On Sept. 16 at midday electricity was restored and on Sept. 17 both internet and cell service was back up. In the town of Mulege they are still without electricity as of 3 pm Sept. 17.

The meeting of the Municipal Board for Civil Protection that took place at 1 pm Wednesday Sept. 17 in the regional offices of SEP in Sta. Rosalia resulted in a number of agreements between the diverse agencies that make up the board. The board is calling on the residents of Santa Rosalia and all of the municipality of Mulege to spread this message however possible.

- There will not be potable water service for 10 days between Palo Verde and Santa Rosalia.
- There will be no classes throughout the municipality until further notice
- Food vending on the street is strictly prohibited
- Travel from Santa Rosalia south to La Paz has been restored, from Sta. Rosalia north is still pending where there are 6 cuts in the road before Vizcaino.

In San Ignacio there is report of one injury which occured after Gilberto Villa Romero crashed his car. He suffered a head head injury and a perforated lung, both of which are life-threatening.
When they found themselves without communication, the local board made the decision to place the injured man at the top of the list to be transported when the helicopter, requested from the Fed. govt., arrived.

In Sta. Rosalia Kyoung Jin Park, general manager of the Boleo mine, as well a another representative of the mine, have been reported missing. Park has not been seen since Sept. 15 when the hurricane passed through town, and the car that he used was found the next day at the port, with the lights on and floating within the tons of debris the arroyo carried to the port.

These are the casualties that have been reported up to this time in the aftermath of Hurricane Odile. Property damage has not been calculated, but they have not been extraordinary considering the extent of the storm. Water, food, mattresses, blankets and other supplies will be delivered shortly by air to those communities that are still incommunicado.

http://www.lasecomujeres.org (Bilingual environmental education about Baja California)

Check out: http://www.meloncoyote.org (project of Journalism to Raise Environmental Awareness; a quarterly news bulletin for the Gulf of California Region).
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
From their website: http://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory...

(I replied to their Twitter account and suggested, if they are flying planes south empty, to bring emergency relief supplies for people since the roads are washed out, and getting food, water etc. will be difficult for a long time.)

Southwest Airlines and AirTran Airways have scheduled rescue flights to Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos (SJD) for today, September 17. The first Southwest Airlines / AirTran Airways flight should arrive in Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos (SJD) by mid-afternoon to accommodate Customers from both airlines. Southwest Airlines and AirTran Airways personnel will be available for Customer flight processing upon arrival of the aircraft. Each Customer should remember to bring your passport and other identification documents, travel itineraries, and baggage with you to the airport. The rescue flights will return to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) where Southwest Airlines / AirTran Airways personnel can help each Customer with the details of continuing on to their final destination.

We will continue to work closely with the appropriate authorities to evaluate the need for additional rescue flights.

Customers holding a reservation for travel to/from Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos (SJD) beginning Sunday, September 14 thru Tuesday, September 30 are eligible to reschedule their flights in accordance with our accommodation procedures.

Please call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Service Representative to make changes to your itinerary.

For specific flight information, please check Flight Status Information.

Customers holding reservations for a flight that is cancelled may request a refund for an unused ticket/travel itinerary.

Updated: 9/17 12:30PM CST
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 04:55 PM

Commercial aviation cannot fly to SJD. The facilities are not functioning. Nice try by Southwest. but as of today, military forces will be evacuating the stranded tourists.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Johannes
Now the airport in Cabo shows off again:o

Noi funny!:P
ignatz

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 05:47 PM

Just got a call from United saying my flight down from SFO that was supposed to go down on September 22 has been moved to September 23 and that is also when SJD is opening back up.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 05:54 PM

after trying to get through to a variety of numbers for road info, I just got off the phone with none other than Antonio of Baja Cactus who was in transit. He told me that the El Rosario Pemex has lots of gas and that the road crews are working very hard and hope to have the highway passable by tomorrow morning....great news indeed. PHones down again in Asuncion so I dont know if the Pemex has gas but I bet it does.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
 Pages:  1  ..  28    30    32  ..  37

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.