Author: Subject: HURRICANE WARNING FOR BAJA - ODILE - AFTERMATH
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 05:55 PM

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by gallesram
Udo, they are posted on the Mulege thread (top of page 3)

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 06:43 PM

Does anyone have news about the roads from Mexicali to San Felipe and onward to Gonzaga? And also from Gonzaga to Highway 1? Thanks.
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 06:55 PM

Power and cell service appear to have returned in La Paz
here's a facebook update from a friend there:

We have just had electricity returned to some buildings and after a few days the internet has now returned but very limited. Cellphone network seems to be coming back but still spotty.

We are all in great health and working through everything.

The city is in a complete mess with millions of dollars of damage, however things are starting to work again.

We still have no gasoline as it is currently restricted to official vehicles to speed repairs however we hope that it will be back soon as our car is running low.

Lots of photos of the destruction, I will post once I have dealt with my 200 emails.

Take care and talk soon

apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 06:57 PM

And here is a report from a cruiser:

To cruisers familiar with La Paz over the years, the news comes that local fixture and long-time" Friday Net host" and Christmas Story reader Gunther Trebbow was lost in the storm when his boat "Princess" was blown from the Magote anchorage about 2AM. Gunther's health had been failing for the last year or so and after trying to save his holed vessel he was too weak to make it to shore. He will be missed.

apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 07:02 PM

Facebook updates from owner of Tailhunter Jonathon Roldan https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.roldan.7?fref=ts

Quote:

To all our Facebook friends and all the tons of your writing. I'm sorry for not posting. This is the first time we've had internet in 4 days. Things getting kind bad here. No water...electricity...cell phone (they are saying maybe 1 month down)...and now gasoline. Long lines everywhere. We are told there's 30,000 people stuck in Cabo as the airport is closed with serious damage. Almost 3000 people tried to get on 3 planes this morning at La Paz Airport and there are some reported fight breaking out.

La Paz is a mess. Trees gone. Power lines draped over everything. Windows shattered. Telphone poles and palm trees snapped in half.

We were fortunately able to evacuate almost all our clients here and send them home or get them to the airport or ferry boat . There's looting that has started too. So, we're a bit under seige now. Trying to clean up but hard to do with no power or water...cell phone or internet (only have it for a few minutes). But, everyone is fine. I'm fine. Jill is fine. We need a shower...and an ICY BEER!!! But, we'll make it through.

We're telling everyone who has reservations to check their flights because you'll probably find out it's canceled. We'll postpone or re-schedule your vacations or adjust money! We want everyone safe! Losing signal now. Gotta run!

Quote:
Late news...34 boats sunk in the marina here. Several folks missing. Looting has started

Quote:
Now we're hearing that there has been an accident at the La Paz Airport and a collision between one or two planes and destruction at the airport. Will update as we have signal.

Dianamo
Nomad

Mood: ...still in Baja

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 08:26 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/weakened-odile...

:no::no::no:

Minds are like parachutes...they only function when open!

\"The price of apathy is to be ruled by evil men.\" - Plato
CasaChristie

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 09:02 PM

Latest news received from Mulege at 4:00 pm today.

Town is still a mess but improving very slowly. Still no power or water or phone or internet, maybe within 36-48 hours. Roads North and South at least as far as Loreto and Santa Rosalia are somewhat open, but very little traffic. Flooding in Mulege was worse than first saw. Saul had about 6 foot of water. Problems at Albas, the Johnson's house and gift shop, SAPA and new clinic. Lots of mucking out going on, destroyed furniture in muddy piles in the street and lots of discouraged people hard at it trying to put their lives back together. Firehouse is okay. Ayleth and Pinguino were open using generators. Shelves are getting bare.

Rumor is that Santa Rosalia has phone and power restored and that a large power plant is being shipped from Guaymas bound for Mulege. Jorge had been able to get to Santa Rosalia and back - two hours each way, and was able to get lots of Pemex which is badly needed for all who use generators. Pemex on the highway had Pemex Red available..

Nothing much new on the bay. Things are slowly drying out, and lots of hope that the last report of Hurricane Polo missing the Baja are true. Water is running out at the beaches and at Posada on the Hill and with no pumps in town, that will be the situation for awhile.

Looks like it will take about a week to get most things back to normal. Many of the residents in Oasis, Orchard and East have had mud and water at least 5' deep.

Be sure to check road conditions before deciding to head down. There is little that can be done in the next week or two as opposed to the next few days. There are no support facilities to help at this moment.

Still don't know much about the people beyond the Mission as a large part of the road to the Mission is gone. The river cut itself a new channel where the road used to be.

That's it for now. I will keep everyone informed as I hear more.

Jean & John
Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 09:39 PM

The Mexican government advises that it is NOT POSSIBLE to drive to southern Baja. Highway 1 is clear from Ensenada only to Catavina, where there is an impassable arroyo, followed by another just down the road to the south. Hightway 1 is therefore CLOSED at Catavina and at further points south. The article also indicates that there are completely unpassable stretches just after El Rosario.

There are numerous inundations, and officials say that travelers should not attempt at present to drive from Northern to Southern Baja.

http://www.frontera.info/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Noticias/17092...

It seems to me that if you head down now, you risk making yourself part of the problem, and they have enough problems on their hands. I would wait at least until they have cleared the arroyos that block passage along Highway 1. I also have heard that it is impassable at Vizcaino.

The good news is that Hurrican Polo will likely not approach Baja, and there is calm weather to follow at least for awhile. So stay put, organize your return, and don't put yourself in harm's way and add to the burdens that they have down there. I understand if you have loved ones, but even then use common sense. I too have property in southern Baja, which is safe and sound I am relieved to say, but now is not the time to race to Southern Baja. Let it recover, then go down to help out as you can.

[Edited on 9-18-2014 by Zola]

[Edited on 9-18-2014 by Zola]

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr. Seuss

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 09:42 PM

Good find Zola, thanks.
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 10:13 PM
Bahia de los Angeles

Not sure if anyone posted this article declaring Bahia de los Angeles a disaster zone. It has some photos too.

http://ciudadtijuana.info/imixcdtj/declaran-zona-de-desastre-a-bahia-de-los-angeles/

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed
Not sure if anyone posted this article declaring Bahia de los Angeles a disaster zone. It has some photos too.

http://ciudadtijuana.info/imixcdtj/declaran-zona-de-desastre-a-bahia-de-los-angeles/

Marv Sherrill sent me some photos from Bahia de los Angeles to share on Nomad, taken by friends who are there... I am working on them and will put them up asap!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 10:50 PM
Bahia de los Angeles damage photos

Sent to me by Marv Sherrill:

Hi David – thought you would like to see the damage at our house in Bahia by Raul’s and La Ventana – Roger lost a few rooms at Villa Bahia, but this is what is looks like at our places – – please feel free to share with nomads looking for more info – pictures were taken by Suzanne Jordan and Greg Pratt, long time residents of Bahia. Thanks - Marv

From the person who sent some photos:

So sorry... lots of damage.... We didn't go inside the house yet. La Gringa out, no electricity over 7" of rain... gauge was overflowing. Ingrid had mud in her house. No sun.... more later...

PHOTOS (22):

Marv & Gail's driveway (La Ventana)

Randy's

Mark's

Mark's

Mark's

Raul

Randy

Randy/Mark

Randy

Marv/Jack

Marv & Gail's

Randy

Marv & Gail wall

Jack/Marv

Jack

Jack

Jack/Brian

Brian

Brian

Brian

Brian

Pete/Sharon/Brian

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 10:57 PM

Heard a couple hours ago from one of our students attending college in Ensenada. She was visiting her folks out past Ice House Rd, Mulege for the weekend. Pop took her back north & they are stuck at Vizcaino. Road must be passable in some fashion between Mulege & Vizcaino.

Based on past experience, I advise waiting on road travel till trucks & buses are confirmed passing all points you'll need to pass. Aguila & ABC buses will roll as soon as they know roads are manageable with detours in place. Watch for that as the trigger.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos
Does anyone have news about the roads from Mexicali to San Felipe and onward to Gonzaga? And also from Gonzaga to Highway 1? Thanks.

From what I saw posted today... the only 'river' is the Santa Maria arroyo, 5 miles south of the Gonzaga Pemex. I was surprised that getting to Puertecitos across Arroyo Matomi wasn't an issue.

pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 04:31 AM

Sorry, no time or enough signal to read and download other reports.
5:15 thur- San Jose
Total destruction.
No power 20-30 days.
1 bar cel on and off this am, hoping for more.
Lots of looting, military arriving.
Some stations had some gas yesterday, lines.
Radio back on yesterday pm.
No food etc.
I drove from cero colarado to Vado Santa Rosa, total destruction.
Almost every 2nd story and above with blown out windows.
I lost 2 windows from debris, after over 20 years I have never seen so much stuff blown around.
Gunshots in our development last night, security said 2 bad guys with guns caught trying to rob a place.
Have generator, rationing gas, extremely miserable down here.
Have workers showing up today to remove 2 large palms from my pool, it's ruined.
Just extremely sad how many affected, my loses are nothing compared to others.
Govt flights available to foreingers to tj and Mexico City for free I hear.
Only one terminal operating, do not come down, nothing here.
Hope the best for all others affected.
Just saw new storm sat, my screens have a few holes but basically saved me, glad I held on to some plywood though.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 05:37 AM

Kinda sums it up......Sad

Jean

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 09:26 AM

:( For those who are updating on Bahia de Los Angeles, has anyone done a drive-by of Raquel & Larry's place or Daggett's or ? I haven't heard from Ruth or Ruben and am worried. Thank you so much if you can check.
Sincerely,
Jean Pennington
ignatz

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 10:11 AM

Flora Farms just updated their Facebook with photos and info about the entire property: https://www.facebook.com/CulinaryCottages
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 11:06 AM

This photo looks really bad:

:O Even before you see this photo:

[Edited on 9-18-2014 by elbeau]

[Edited on 9-18-2014 by elbeau]
austriaco

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 11:50 AM

the following has been posted on facebook:
Mulege Bomberos Sub-Estacion Bahia Concepcion

The Municipal Board for Civil Protection have met and come up with a few items they would like everyone to know:
No water service between Palo Verde and Santa Rosalia for 10 days
No classes in the entire Municipal until announced
No food vendors on the streets
Travel from Santa Rosalia to LaPaz is now possible
Travel from Santa Rosalia north is not possible. 6 cuts in the road between Sta Rosalia and Vizcaino.

[Edited on 9-18-2014 by austriaco]
 Pages:  1  ..  29    31    33  ..  37

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.