Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  31    33    35  ..  37
Author: Subject: HURRICANE WARNING FOR BAJA - ODILE - AFTERMATH
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 03:01 AM

Sorry that I have failed to mention the great compassion and helpfulness among all the people also, I think everybody is looking out for each other.
People just cleaning up roads where needed, a few at a time stopping to move trees on the roads.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed
What hotel is this elbeau

Looks like Bahia Chileno. Is the name still "Hotel Cabo San Lucas" ?
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 06:50 AM

Pacsur, check the Baja Insider...they have a very good report on Polo this morning... thank you for the report.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 07:04 AM

One of the advantages of living in "centro" is that we have just had power and water restored after only 4 days. It's been miserable to be sure but nothing like the misery facing the rest of Baja California Sur. Here is a copy of the email we have sent out to all our questioning friends.

So last Sunday, the fourteenth, in the afternoon we started getting radio reports that hurricane Odile was approaching Cabo San Lucas. There were several updates which ended around 6PM with the news that the storm had apparently split in to two eye-walls and dissipated. We went to bed around 9 thinking that we had dodged a bullet. About an hour later we noticed a significant increase in the wind. It soon became apparent that we were in for a blow. And blow it did. Naturally the power went out right away so we were entertained by the sounds of the neighborhood imploding and our house being attacked. The sound was really scary and naturally it was pitch black. From time to time we shined a light out into the melee and watched our trees being dismantled. Right in the middle of it a part of our roof in the front of the house peeled away and sounded like a giant zipper as it ripped off the house. The next eight or ten hours lasted for an eternity. We don't know what the actual force of the storm was, it's funny, without the internet we are in a news vacuum. The only news we have had comes from local Mexico radio and they don't have a clue. Add to that our Spanish is limited and we are totally in the dark. The last four days have been exhausting, depressing, and hot. We have been without power, fans, refrigeration, A/C and lights. It has been impossible to sleep and every day has been physically and emotionally draining. We are writing this on Thursday PM, the eighteenth. We just got power and internet back. Our house withstood the onslaught pretty well aside from losing a small part of the roof. We have an outbuilding that did not do so well. The 16 X 25 foot roof disappeared into the night, never to be seen again. The contents, exposed to the elements, are soaked thru and have kept Grenelda busy for four days now. We have had a chance to take a tour of the city and it's hard to describe the debris and devastation. The whole top of our baseball stadium has blown off into an adjacent street. Trees, lines, walls, signs etc., etc. are blocking almost every street in the city.
We, frankly, have been in shock for several days but realize that we are fortunate to still be alive. I personally am alive because Grenelda refused to let me go out in the storm to try to tie down the roof. The boating community of which we are still a part suffered a huge blow. Any of you that know the fleet here will be saddened to learn that Gunther of the S/V Princess has gone down with his ship. He was not only a good person he was an icon here in La Paz. We all will miss his reading us his latest story on Sunday mornings. Too many boats to list have been driven aground and two more people are still missing.
For Grenelda and I this has been a frightening experience but in the end it just means we lost some “stuff”. We still have a bunch left over. Like most of modern society we are addicted to the power company and all it's associated accoutrement the internet included. Just like I imagine a smoker would feel if you suddenly removed his smokes for four days, we have suffered the pain of withdrawl. All our love and thanks to everyone that has expressed their concern for our safety.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 07:09 AM
Aftermath Video of Cabo..

This is a reflection of what it must feel like..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 07:53 AM

The other side of paradise... sad reality. Watched the video and the estero looks bleak indeed, to say nothing of the human side of Los Cabos (and the rest of Baja hit so hard).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBoomerBabe
Junior Nomad

Mood: Getting excited about driving down Baja!

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 07:58 AM

pacsur- are you anywhere near Laguna Vista in San Jose? Right next dot the golf course on Blvd. Mijares. I am waiting to hear more about the state of the condos and people there. I did hear it was very badly hit. thanks for your report.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 08:16 AM

Mex TV is reporting the government is organizing and paying clean-up crews in Los Cabos.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 08:19 AM

Great post, weebray. Thank you so much.

If and when you get a chance, can you post something about the level of availability of food sold at stores and potable water, road conditions in el Centro, La Paz, particularly to/from the airport, whether stores (particularly hardware stores) are open for business, any shortages of particular necessities that you are aware of? Of particular interest is the presence, if any, of looting of stores and homes. Can you comment on that? In your opinion, what is the level of the presence and sufficiency of law enforcement in comparison to pre-Odile times? Finally, can you offer your opinion on whether it makes sense or is it even safe for Americans to come to La Paz/Chametla/Centenario/Comitan at this time to check on their property?

In your opinion, is it safe/practical to go to La Paz at this time if you are a home owner in La Paz?

If one were to go to La Paz today, what should we bring for sure and how can we help?

Also, as far as you know, to what extent, if any, are the bank ATMs working? Are stores/Pemex accepting debit cards or credit cards? Any hotels open? Are taxis running? Are any restaurants/OXXO's/Leys open?

Anything info that you can provide would be immensely appreciated.

Very good to hear you made it through safely...very heartening.
MitchMan

[Edited on 9-19-2014 by MitchMan]
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 08:23 AM

Hey Weebray

Great to hear you two are ok. I sent you a u2u and did not hear, so figured internet, power were out. We heard all pretty much ok at the rancho on the East Cape.Sending our best your way
cftlet
Nomad

Mood: Modelo Negro on my mind

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 10:00 AM

I have been trying to contact my friends in Los Barriles for several days and have been unable to do so. I have a little casita in Buenas Aires that I would like checked. Is there any Nomad in the area that could help me out? If so please U2U me or call me (541) 661-2148. Any help will be greatly appreciated (there is a six pack this winter in it) .
Ford
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 10:08 AM

I have still not heard anything from shipwrecks, our caregivers at Casa panga playa tortuga, or from Lou Quaccia.
I am getting very worried.....
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 12:13 PM

Weebray, thanks for your report. Glad to hear you re both safe! That would be. Hell of an experience. It' good to hear first hand info.

Again, anyone heard from Bajajudy, their area got hit hard and we haven't heard a peep from her.

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 12:25 PM

holey moley....so many horror stories. Just want people to know that there was gas available as far as Vizcaino with no rationing, stores open, highway a mess but passable. Internet and phone in "Vizcaino but nothing in Asuncion so this will be my last post as I head home in a bit after getting flats of beer to take to the coast. Look forward to getting back online someday.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
I pray that my good buddy, George Bergin (OSPREY) will be OK through the storms.
And hopefully they'll receive enough rain to get the underground wells to fill up again.

Udo, I just got an email from George saying that he and his wife Lynda are okay, and that they just got their generator up and running and were beginning to get their bearings. If I had to guess, he'll want to communicate this info himself, but as this is the first I've heard from him, I thought I'd share.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 03:01 PM

I am also eager to hear from a friend at Laguna Vista (Mary Ellen Mattice) ....anybody have factual info re: how complex was affected????

Don't believe everything you think....
S/N

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 04:07 PM

Friday 19th 5:00pm
Cell & internet service has been re-established in Asuncion. Talked to some people at one of the co-ops and they are going to send a large truck to Ensenada tonight with a load of lobsters so they feel that Mex one is open.
D
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaojosazul
Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed
What hotel is this elbeau

I believe that is the Hyatt Place, close to Mega and Mcdonalds in San Jose (right off the hwy). I have seen other pics of it online along with the shredded side of the Mcdonalds. It is a new hotel, just built within the last year or two.

Truly sad video. The town looks broken.

I don't know what hotel it is. I saw the aerial photo and decided to look along the shoreline using Google Earth and found the satellite picture with the other buildings.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 04:13 PM

Uh? Hotels dont seem to be very important right now...Most nomads are not tourists....We are concerned about friends and homes....

elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Uh? Hotels dont seem to be very important right now...Most nomads are not tourists....We are concerned about friends and homes....

^Very True^

I was just answering the question they asked me.
 Pages:  1  ..  31    33    35  ..  37

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.