Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  32    34    36  37
Author: Subject: HURRICANE WARNING FOR BAJA - ODILE - AFTERMATH
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 04:29 PM

5:15 pm San Jose - between campestre and gringo hill
I am using home Internet right now, no cel phone service here, need to go by Barcelo and mega.
Land line works, it's the reason I have Internet now using with generator.
I have workers cleaning up about 10 different places where owners are gone, a couple more days I hope?
Got all my ducks in a row, water, food, generator, and Internet, everything except for unlimit gas.
I was able to procure 100liters today for 1500p, I have another bounty out for another 100l for mañana, if I get that I think I'm set until we get power.
I wish everybody the best of luck with the struggle, and if anybody wants to pass me an email who wants to edit and post some pics, I will send when generator is on.
saludos
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 04:41 PM

Everyone please when resources are available get what you need and no more,

DON'T HOARD.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 05:15 PM

Are there any reports from Asuncion yet
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 06:08 PM

all good in BA.

Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 07:11 PM

Shari,

I'm glad to hear that you made it to Vizcaino! Soon you will be back home :)

Do you know whether it is passable at Vizcaino to San Ignacio? to Santa Rosalia? Any word on the north road to San Juanico?

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr. Seuss

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 08:21 PM

Sorry for the slow response, we've been busy dealing with life here in a war zone. We had the opportunity to venture out today to check out the city. We can report that the government is throwing a goodly amount of weight into this disaster. CFE is everywhere in the city and power is being restored. Street cleaning is full ON. The things in most demand like atm's/banking potable water and medical services have inordinately long lines. We had no problem filling up at the Pemex. (no waiting albiet no roja) We have not seen or heard of any looting, shoplifting or robberies. The police are present but not that much more than normal. Most of the streets are passable but it does require some "creative" negotiation. We had occasion to visit the hardware store in search of roofing screws. The four we went to were open and the last one had what we were looking for. We did not drive out toward Centenario but have friends that live out there and have managed to negotiate the new waters between there and La Paz. All the normal services are up and running although Ley and Arumburo in the NE of the city are still closed. City water came on and filled our tinacos today. If you have a property here that is not being watched or cared for you may want to come check on it. However, we have owned our house here for 20+ years but only lived here for five. In the past, our gracious neighbors were our guard dogs and in this situation we would have been comfortable with that arrangement. Don't hesitate to come to La Paz but be prepared for some ugliness. Oh yeah, bring some ice, the town is out but the beer is still cold.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Jonno_aus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 10:17 PM

Yeah all good in La Paz. Has been a little bit of looting. Heard a couple gunshots couple nights ago, but most Americans would be used to that. :spingrin:

Lot of damage but that's to be expected with most buildings and structures poorly built. Considering it was only a Cat 1, 2 at best, a lot of damage was sustained. And of course people too stupid or lazy to clean up before it hit. Wonder how many smashed windows due to own debris or neighbours...

Not sure on water and food and how much us available, because I had enough for at least a few weeks as any normal person who prepared well should've.

And only a disaster in the Cabo and southern part. Pretty average storm with pee all rain in the rest. Seems worse due to pee poor construction of buildings, roads and laziness in not preparing. Oh well.
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nancy Drew
This is a well presented somewhat artistic video covering San Jose Del Cabo...in the town , estuary, shoreline

After Odile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqwwTwuTNTM

Well, that just made me want to cry.
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 10:49 PM

I guess it might be hard for some folks to stockpile for just "in case" when they have a hard enough time getting food on the table each and every day. I can understand why they might not have a weeks worth of food and water put aside.
Jonno_aus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 06:41 AM

But they can afford sky tv and iPhones and beer and coke and chips. :rolleyes:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 06:51 AM

Those are neccessities...

austriaco

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 08:22 AM

Zola,

I got the following message, concerning a trip from Mulege to Guerrero Negro, on facebook just now:

"Drove to Guerrero Negro yesterday, kept a log (ask me if you want to see it) of road conditions and gas availability, but in summary: only place out of gas was San Ignacio; difficulty in getting thru water on road at San Ignacio only--stream running up to license plate over bed of rocks on roadway, hard to pass w/out 4-wheel drive and in high vehicle; major road repair work with long wait times north of Vizcaiino where chunks of highway broke away in northbound lane, one carrying a big Los Pinos truck with it, now drivers' side down in mud at bottom of cavity. The wait featured sticky heat and abundant flies."
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 08:24 AM

I just have to jump in here for a second to countermand the complete misinformation spewing from Jonno_ass. Not sure what bunker he was hiding in but a cat 1 or 2 storm it was not. Your self righteous "holier than thou" attitude would be better served back where you came from. The people most deeply affected here are the poorest. Expecting them to be able to "stock up" for a few weeks is, in a word, stupid. I assume you are trying to troll here because your whole post stinks of brain rot. Maybe you should go out into the colonias and show the poor people how to build hurricane proof houses out of the cardboard, metal signs and tree branches they are able to scrounge up. For the record there has been, practically speaking, NO looting, gun shots, etc. here. If I were the moderator here I would remove your post on the basis that it I counterproductive, inaccurate, ill-conceived, and lacking any compassion that is so sorely needed in this town. I suggest the rest of you ignore this idiot and get on with the good work we need.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 09:37 AM

Has anyone heard from BajaBlanca?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 09:50 AM

she's good!

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 10:15 AM

no damage at all in Asuncion..just cleaning up the dust and sand that blew in and dead plants...the highway into here by all the ranchos outside of Vizcaino is in pieces as the water from la sierra made the whole valley a lake...never been so much water coming down...it was still running in some spots yesterday. No trucks can drive on it as the remaining bits of pavement look like they could fall in any time...very unstable in parts.

As I understand it, San Ignacio is very bad...the entrance underwater still and you have to cross in a panga to get to the village. The square is fine. I hear Ignacio Springs got it bad but it is hearsay from people here who have family in San Ignacio. The Oasis Hotel on the highway got very flooded.

the highways are passable

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 10:25 AM

Reports of looters

¡Ya son 20 los detenidos por saqueo a Costco!
http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n3543150.htm

Caen más con productos robados en LOS CABOS
http://colectivopericu.net/2014/09/19/caen-mas-con-productos...

¡Detienen en La Paz a 5 saqueadores de Costco!
http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n3542021.htm

¡Se acabaron las tiendas OXXO en Los Cabos!
http://colectivopericu.net/2014/09/18/se-acabaron-las-tienda...

¡Saqueo en Oxxos y Supermercados!
http://colectivopericu.net/2014/09/17/saqueo-en-oxxos-y-supe...
Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 10:32 AM

Austriaco,

Thanks for the report.

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr. Seuss

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
Has anyone heard from BajaBlanca?

Last post on Thursday:

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
What a mess - we have no phones no internet and no access out of La Bocana north or south.

...we have no damage at all from the hurricane.it was windy at night but nothing very unusual and none of my plants even moved an inch from where they were on the porch.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=75452

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonno_aus
But they can afford sky tv and iPhones and beer and coke and chips. :rolleyes:

This isn't a good time to blame the victims for their misfortunes :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1  ..  32    34    36  37

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.