Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  37
Author: Subject: HURRICANE WARNING FOR BAJA - ODILE - AFTERMATH
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pauldavidmena
@micah202 - where did you get that rain chart? that's a nice, graphical way to represent some very specific data.

WeatherUnderground shows Odile becoming Category 3 by 2PM on Sunday. Cuídate, amigos.

Go to:

http://www.passageweather.com/

Click on the map for "North Pacific" - "California to Mexico" and the click on the tab that says "Visibility & Precipitation"...
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 03:57 PM

where is BSC?
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 04:00 PM

Before. Southern. California.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
where is BSC?

thanks
I changed it.

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 05:01 PM

Jake, we get it... you don't like Canadians. Nice start for your 4th post, idjit.

And Judy, with all due respect, ODILE'S FOR REAL is as real as I can be; glad you started a 'serious' thread. But Yogi is still right, "IT AIN'T OVER 'TILL IT'S OVER". All hurricanes are serious. Odile's gonna be more so if the 94L storm comes over the mountains from the east and joins in; so tell your coconut trees to hang on to their nuts. But change my thread (after I've changed it 3 times already!)? Get serious yourself, gal. No offense meant. I am serious when I say, I hope you're ok, and all fares well. Fair enough?
bb

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
@micah202 - where did you get that rain chart? that's a nice, graphical way to represent some very specific data.

WeatherUnderground shows Odile becoming Category 3 by 2PM on Sunday. Cuídate, amigos.

...yah ,, http://passageweather.com/# is quite useful ,,seems remarkably accurate so far,,,has animated projections up to a week,,,,and yes,it shows some east-bend and intensifying since this morning.......did someone stop spinning!!?? :?::o;D

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 08:15 PM

Dear Bajabuddha,

After reading a number of your posts and seeing your mood as expressed in your avatar box, not to mention your tagline I wonder if you gave serious thought to your Nomad name. You seem like an okay guy maybe, but not exactly Buddha-like. Maybe Bajapedofeliz would be a better name for you? Or maybe there is something else more suited to your personality? Just a thought, no malice intended:saint:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 08:17 PM

We are now in a hurricane WARNING
Batten down the hatches and grab your burros.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Quote:

Go to:

http://www.passageweather.com/

Click on the map for "North Pacific" - "California to Mexico" and the click on the tab that says "Visibility & Precipitation"...

Here are some of the maps from that site at 8:20 pm PDT SAT.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Katiejay99
Nomad

Mood: it is what it is

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 08:23 PM

I just read the latest update. Oh my!! We're in for a very bumpy ride. This is NOT going to be fun at all!

Be safe everyone.
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 08:24 PM

"... and a hurricane warning is now in effect for the southern end of the Baja California peninsula. If Odile strikes Baja California as a major hurricane, it will be only the fourth time since since 1967 that such a hurricane has hit the peninsula."

Oh my. Batten down the hatches folks.

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 08:32 PM

Take care amigos. We'll be praying...
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 08:50 PM

Apologies for my flippant and personal post above, my evil twin won't let me delete it though...

But really, this storm is huge and dangerous, and I think a more current warning thread would be a good thing, as this has been up for days and looses impact.

Take care, stay safe, hoping for the best for everyone.
Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 08:59 PM

Now is the time to take precautions such as boarding up windows, etc. Everyone take care and do what you must. It is better to take precautions that prove to have been unnecessary than not to do so and find after it is too late that damaging winds or floods are on hand. BE SAFE. We will all laugh in relief after it is over. With luck and fair winds, it will end up passing harmlessly well out to sea!

Everyone needs to spin much better:)
grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 09:48 PM

This one is going to kick some burro and be very destructive. Good luck to all.

The harder I work, the luckier I get
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 09:51 PM

Latest from Baja insider
Odile is a significantly larger hurricane than was last week's Norbert at this time.
At 09PM MDT: Hurricane Odile is located near 17.9N 106.5W and is moving 335° at 10kt. Central barometric pressure is 962Mb and winds are 95kts with gusts to 115kts, making Odile just short of Major Hurricane Category 3 intensity. Hurricane force winds extend out 20 to 40 miles, and fifty knot winds extend 50 to 60 miles and tropical storm force winds extend out 160 miles on the all but the northwest side of the storm where they extend out 100 miles. 12ft seas extend out as much as 270 miles.
Hurricane Odile is forecast to increase in forward speed and develop further in intensity through the evening, but forecasts continue to predict that this system will pass just to the west of Cabo San Lucas. Storm tracks have moved about 100 miles closer to the peninsula than forecasts from earlier this afternoon.
Odile is currently forecast to be about 74 miles west-northwest of Cabo San Lucas or about 50 miles west-southwest of Todos Santos as a Category 3 Hurricane Monday at 6AM.

This is not drama...this is time for all nomads living in BCS to get ready

100mph winds will have your hoses dancing the cobra dance

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 10:20 PM
Thanks Baja Insider

Saturday, September 13, 2014 9:50 PM MDT This evening Tropical Watch we continue to follow recently upgraded Hurricane Odile, now a Category 2 Hurricane and just short of Category 3 intensity. Hurricane Odile is forecast to become a Major Hurricane (Category 3 or greater) in the next 12 hrs as it moves toward the Baja peninsula at 10kts. The most recent storm track places the system closer to Cabo San Lucas, Todos Santos and very close to a landfall near Magdalena Bay/Lopez Mateo. This system is suppose to follow a very similar evolution to that of last week's Hurricane Norbert, but we ask our readers not to base the pending effects of inbound Odile on the last hurricane. Odile is forecast to be a larger storm, whether or not it will be more powerful on arrival is still yet to be ascertained. But rain, winds a flooding are possible further inland, regardless of the final course of this storm.
Major Hurricane landfall are rare, only one has been recorded since 1948. NHC track forecasts have become very accurate over the last 5 years, but intensity forecasts still are troublesome for the NHC and with good luck this system will not reach us with the projected Major Hurricane intensity. However, should this system pass as close to the peninsula as projected or even make a landfall as a Major Hurricane it is a totally different game. Those who have weathered the Baja storms of the recent lifetime have not experienced anything like a Major and hurricane warnings should be heeded and preparations taken. Hotels and shelters are designed to withstand the forces of a Category 3 storm, seek appropriate shelter and remain indoors. Do not cross flooded roadways or arroyos, and stay off the beaches are rouge waves can suddenly reach much further up the beaches. Drowning is the leading cause of death in a tropical cyclone and I have witnessed a Major Hurricanes make airborne projectiles of items as large as a wheelbarrow.
We encourage all of our readers in the Baja California Sur region to remain alert to the progress of Hurricane Odile, as the course may yet change even further inland. Complete your storm preparations early Sunday and be safe.
Further down south we also have Tropical Depression 16E, which has been meandering about since mid week. This system is not forecast to do much of anything and at this time its development is being stymied by the greater Odile. It may send a remnant low northward into the Sea of Cortez mid to late week, providing additional rain to the eastern side of the peninsula.
Even further south we have yet another region of prospective development of the coast of Guatemala. This is given a low chance of development in the next 24hrs but a high chance as it move to the northwest along the southern coast of Mexico during the week ahead.
All this tropical activity come at the peak of the Baja Hurricane Season, when environmental conditions are correct for storms to come in our directions. The frequency of these storms is caused by the conjunction of seasonal patterns along with the arrival of an increased convection derived from the Madden Julian oscillation, which comes east from the Indian Ocean to meet up with the tropical waves generated in the Sahara Desert. So we need to remain on alert through the middle of next month... yet.
A note to our readers: Hurricane Information releases are at 9AM/PM and 3AM/PM MDT. These are complete updates with new positions and forecast tracks along with watch and warning updates. Interim releases at 6AM/PM and 12 AM/PM only update position and watches and warnings and track forecasts are a re-hash of previous releases and are only issued when there are active watches or warnings. We update our information as soon as possible, we normally receive the news a few minutes before the NHC website release and endeavor to post the information and our graphics found only here on the Insider just as quickly as possible. Since we are the only online weather source actually reporting from La Paz and Cabo San Lucas we are also subject to internet outages caused by inclement weather

[Edited on 9-14-2014 by bajajudy]

Jonno_aus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 11:34 PM

Well the last one turned out to be a boring old dud, so hopefully this one is more fun. Hope everyone has their hurricane party plans organised? I'm stuck in La Paz and can't make it to Todos with friends to have one and watch the hurricane cruise past. :(

[Edited on 9-14-2014 by Jonno_aus]
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 01:43 AM

As of 02:30 MDT Odile has intensified, and is tracking a more northern course. It will impact almost all of Baja. It is recommended full precautions taken.

It is serious.

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/eastern-pacific/2014/H...

[Edited on 9-14-2014 by bajabuddha]

86 - 45*

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 04:18 AM

05:00 am MDT Odile has upgraded to CAT 4, the entire South Cape is going to take the brunt.

All of Baja is going to be majorly affected. Mis compañeros en Mulege, con quidado.

By Friday heavy flooding in the desert southwest of the U.S. will also be a repeat of Norbert.

86 - 45*

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  37

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.