Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 1st Baja Trip Recos
AB

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 10:57 AM
1st Baja Trip Recos

A friend and I are driving into Baja this weekend. Our plan is to enter in through Tecate on Friday morning (8am ish) and drive down to Punta San Jose and gassing up in Ensenada on the way down. We'll surf and camp at PSJ Friday night.

The plan on saturday is to surf PSJ in the morning then head back up towards San Miguel.

We'll be relying on the Baja Almanac and the surfer's guide to Baja. We'll be traveling in an older land rover with 1 spare, tow strap, 2 gas cans, winch, mud terrain tires and 5 gals of water per person per day.

If you guys have thoughts on the above plan and possible issues, we'd love to hear it. Also, we're looking for a good place to camp near San Miguel. I think that far North, a pay camp may be the most secure. We'd love to hear your recommendations on any specific ones in San Miguel and also general campsites around PSJ.

Also, we're looking for a mexican insurance company that will ensure a 1994 land rover. Most of the online ones won't give me the option for anything older than a 2000 model.

Thanks!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 11:02 AM

Shovel

AB

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 11:16 AM

Of course! I forgot to include a shovel on the list but it's part of my standard recovery kit along with a Hi-Lift jack and basic repair tools.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 11:19 AM

lose all the excess water. 5 gallons will be enough for 2 days.

o3dave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 11:55 AM

Cervezas & senoritas!
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 12:22 PM

Was on the road this winter.. it was in good condition. Wouldn't worry too much. There are lots of ranchers that use the road so be careful on the blind turns. Take the biggest dirt road to the west after the gas station in Santo Tomas and just follow it to the beach. Head north until it ends at PSJ. When you come up to the forks, just follow the road that is most traveled.

Lastly, if you didn't know already, the water there is ICE COLD year round. Bring a 4/3 and booties. (Booties help also for the long walk along the reef at low tide).

Oh and a few of your other questions... Camping at PSJ is just a big dirt area right above the cliffs. Just park wherever. Beware that the winds will kick up out of the north (offshore) STRONG and I've seen several guys loose their tents blowing off the cliff into the ocean. The only real easy way down the cliff is through the fishing village (light house). Parking closer to there makes it a little easier.

Camping around San Miguel... Meh. I'd probably just pay for a place in the area and stay at a hotel.

FYI there was some talk about the land owner of PSJ being shot and killed a few months ago... Not sure if was true or not. Just read it on here. Personally, I'd still go down.

[Edited on 9-9-2014 by BooJumMan]
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 01:33 PM

check your u2u upper right hand corner.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 03:16 PM

I sent you a U2U too...you can camp at Sirenitas place in Sauzal near San Miguel and we can dial you in...jejeje

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 05:58 PM

welcome to the forum!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 06:05 PM

Mexican Auto Insurance from the sponsor of Baja Nomad, is at the top of the page... http://bajabound.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Mexican Auto Insurance from the sponsor of Baja Nomad, is at the top of the page... http://bajabound.com

They insure my 1990 truck for liability only. You may not be able to get coll/comp on something that old, but you could give them a call to find out. They've been real helpful when I've had questions.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 11:48 PM

Tecate is a great place to cross but like all of them, if you have copious amounts of booze (not that I know) you may want to bury it a bit in your gear so that it isn't obvious. If they find it and say anything just declare it (if you get the red light). Where you are going is theoretically past the Ensenada southern boundary as to visas so you may want to stop and get the free seven day one? These rules seem to change depending on who (m) you talk to but I always think better safe than sorry.

I don't know that area as to camping but in many beach spots I have camped in Baja you can never have enough water in that the coyotes will share it with you if not secured at night...and they do NOT leave a thank you note!
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 07:11 AM

Another thing... I'd personally just cross at TJ/San Ysidro.

Coming back, I guess Tecate. I haven't had much luck over there as of late...Long lines.
AB

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 07:51 AM

Thanks for the u2u's everyone. I'm also all set up for liability coverage through bajabound now.

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan

Coming back, I guess Tecate. I haven't had much luck over there as of late...Long lines.

I assumed Tecate was the better move since Highway 1 still had quake damage. Is highway 1 open now?
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 08:13 AM

You're there for surf right! Take the drive along the coast and check the surf. If you turn to am600 they give the crossing times, if they say 2 hours it could be longer.
The road (1) is passable through Ensenada you'll miss a couple of breaks. I would pass on crossing at Tacate, coming down. you chose going home.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AB
Thanks for the u2u's everyone. I'm also all set up for liability coverage through bajabound now.

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan

I assumed Tecate was the better move since Highway 1 still had quake damage. Is highway 1 open now?

Highway One has always been open... it is the toll road (Hwy. 1-D) that had a section fall away and its traffic is detoured onto Hwy. 1, around that section. Baja Bound has a video on their site showing all this.

Hwy. 3 from Tecate to Ensenada is nice... or the other direction, if you pass on K55 or K38 or whatever the K the surf is at, north of Ensenada.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 03:32 PM

If the Mexican insurance won't cover your vehicle ask your US insurer if your present insurance will continue to cover your vehicle. Some do but may limit how far down. I used my Allstate insurance for the pay off when I totaled my 93 Toyota in 07 in Mexicali.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 04:07 PM

Yep, easy peasy with highway 1.

The toll road fell into the ocean, but the free road that cuts east after La Mision is now the detour for all traffic. It hits right back up at San Miguel.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 04:09 PM

You won't be camping on nice clean beach sand. Up on the bluff will be in fine, slimy when wet dirt. Bring a bucket to dip your feet in and an old piece of astro turf (fake grass stuff) to stand on while you peel off your wetsuit. Just that little bit of civilization can make all the difference. Oh, and don't forget to place your Ugg boots right there, next to your little lawn. Perfect.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
AB

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 10:45 AM

Thanks everyone for the recos. We just got back from the trip yesterday. What an awesome experience.

We camped at PSJ one night and were the only people there other than the fisherman. The next day we camped at punta cabras and had a drink at Coyote Cals. I'm glad we did the trip as it was kind of a scouting trip. Now we know what to expect and what we need for future trips. And there will definitely be future trips!

The only shady experience came when we decided to cross back across the border in Tecate. About 3 blocks from the border I took a left instead of a right. I guess a cop noticed this and saw that I didn't know where I was going. He pulled us over and said he saw me run 3 stop signs. If there was one thing I didn't do in baja, it was break traffic laws. The last thing I wanted to do was deal with the police. He suggested we pay the $100 fine on the spot. We just wanted to go home so I gave him 60 and got to the border as quickly as possible. Overall, it was a minor hiccup on an otherwise great trip.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.