Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: spin reels?
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 11:03 AM
spin reels?

What's your favorite spin reel for inshore fish? The Mitchell 300's are really good. Just wondering? Bought a Mitchell Avocet, it started growling and making funny noises within a week. Suggestions.
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 11:17 AM

I have a small Shimano spinner for dinking around from shore but I don't recall the model number. It has worked flawlessly tho.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 12:12 PM

I'm partial to the high spool reels in the 10# class with a fast retrieve under $25 for the light work I have here. Buy them two at a time. I use a variety of rods but like the 9' noodle rod for the fun of it. I mostly use bait casters like the Curado and MH 8' rod. have a new caster coming some time next week.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Cochi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 12:18 PM

Cheap, I always manage to drop them in the water while on the kayak. I agree, buy a couple for backup.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 12:29 PM

baitrunner, free spool with the bale closed. but only a last resort, hate them coffee grinders!:(
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 12:45 PM

Thanks for the info. I spool-up with 15 lb. mono. Use 30lb. mono for leaders, a decent red fish will rasp thru 15 lb. test mono and be gone if he's hooked past the lip. Had one break the welded eye on a spoon yesterday. Ladyfish really test the drag. Gonna go with the Miitchell 300 series unless someone has a better idea.:yes:
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 01:36 PM

The one that's ON SALE.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 02:08 PM

Cypress,
Didn't realise they still make Mitchell 300's. Fished with those in the 60's and 70's. Always had some problem of line getting behind the spool. Did a lot of trolling for trout and kokanee in those days. Reel is a workhorse.
I did prefer the 410. Faster retrieve for getting lures faster out of trouble spots. Those koke rigs could get expensive.:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
baitrunner, free spool with the bale closed. but only a last resort, hate them coffee grinders!:(
I second the Shimano Baitrunner, the free spool feature is really useful, it's a blast fly lining live bait for dorado with one, and it's held up really well against getting banged around in the boat. The Thunus is even better.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 02:31 PM

I really like my Okuma. I believe it's an Avenger ABF-65; it holds a over 300 yards of 20 pound mono. Works flawlessly even when not washed off in fresh water every day, like I should do on a camping trip, but don't. I even pulled in a huge 36”+ yellowtail with it in 2006 from the beach. Practically unheard for a "coffee grinder" :)

http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/spinning-1/avenger-baitfeeder

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 03:04 PM

If you want the best, get a Shimano Stella.

http://www.meltontackle.com/products/shimano-stella-fe-reels...
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 03:07 PM

$729. hahahahahahahahaha

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 04:32 PM

Penn reels, for the money, make the very best, most reliable spinning reels on the market...we have had mitchells and still have shimanos,(when they work), but day in and day out Penn's line of spinning reels make it to work...and keep on working with heavy use.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
jcom
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
Penn reels, for the money, make the very best, most reliable spinning reels on the market...we have had mitchells and still have shimanos,(when they work), but day in and day out Penn's line of spinning reels make it to work...and keep on working with heavy use.

+1 - I have over a dozen Penn reels and they've been run to hell and back and still kick ***.
ddawson
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 12:17 AM

I have used my Shimano Spheros 8000 all over Baja with good results.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 04:07 AM

Shimano Baitrunner....does it all...OK price

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 09:07 AM

Since I work on everybody's reel in the Mulege / Santa Rosalia area, I can tell you that the Penn's are the hardiest and have the least amount of problems. Shimano should have stayed with bicycle derailers. Okumas are OK but they need bearings more frequently than the others. The old Mitchell 300's were bulletproof and used oiled bushings for most of the wear points.

On any of them, I suggest that you do not use any pressure when rinsing the salt off and just trickle the water on them and then wipe them with a clean dry cloth. The worst bearing problems I have ever seen is when people take full force spray and hose them off after every trip.

DJL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 01:54 PM

Inshore ?? If beach and estuaries count ... then we have an opinion -

My Wife loves her Pflueger President , it'll take around 180 Yards of 12 Lb. . They don't hold-up very well in the surf , though ... and go Green in a trip or two . The Cabelas Salt Striker spinning reels are great , but a bit heavy . Several models w/ different capacities , reasonably priced , and handle the spray without freezing-up or going furry . My only maintenance is ..... wipe down with a washcloth (run the washcloth under cool freshwater and wring it out well) , and then wiping them with a rag soaked in FluidFilm - no corrosion , and no furry spots .

Oh , one more thing - always have a spare !

D.~
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 01:40 PM

A friend bought a abu garcia 476i spin caster the other day, sounded like a meat grinder and was unusable on the first time out. It's a cheap reel, but you'd expect it to last at least for a year. The company will replace it. Hope the first reel was just a lemon.
BigOly
Senior Nomad

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 03:38 PM

I like my Penn 8500 from the beach
SS
or 300 feet down from the kayak

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.