BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Hurricane Odile Nomad's On Scene Reports, Photos, & Pertinent Info
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 02:47 PM

Oladulce, might be time for a new thread, this one seems to have degenerated into a beer sales thread.
bajalorena
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 03:33 PM

David, thanks for checking our house, and for the pictures. Good luck with the cleanup at yours.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 10:27 AM

Punta Pequeña/ SanJuanico BCS Sept 16 11am

At 7pm last night Hurricane Odile passed 30 miles inland (centered between coasts in this part of the peninsula) and was reported to have sustained winds at 65mph. At that time the wind here was 10-15 mph from the North. The barometer was at it’s lowest between 6pm-8pm at 989.6 mB and a ceiling of dark clouds rotated overhead. Eerie, but fairly calm and no rain.

The strongest wind was on the backside and came from the West starting around 11pm and continued until 2am this morning. It maintained steady 40-45mph with stronger gusts that shook our very sturdy reinforced block house like an earthquake.

Total rainfall 2” and it’s still drizzling off and on. Wind has been from the South all morning at 15-20 mph.

The ocean is brown which only happens after significant rain occurs in the mountains to make Rio La Purisima flow (20 miles South), and the esteros open up at Cadejé and Raymundo, 10 miles to the North. Water is more brown now than it was after Hurricane John which caused a huge debris flow out the rivers in to the Pacific.

Sorry for the delay in the report to friends and neighbors who were waiting for an update. Don’t know road conditions in and out of here yet. It wasn’t bad here but most of the weather was on the Right side of the storm and will have impacted the roads.

Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 07:44 PM

San Juanico/Punta Pequeña

There are impassable arroyos 8 miles south of town, and so the town is unreachable from the south and must also be unreachable from the north roads.

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr. Seuss

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 07:51 AM

San Juanico, BCS

As Zola mentioned, the first hurdle is only 10 miles South of town.

The cops received a radio report that 60 miles further South, along the 12 miles of road work and bridge construction (where they removed pavement) between Las Barrancas and Insurgentes will require extensive repairs which can't begin until the flooded arroyos recede.

Omar (motorcycle) had just ridden his moto on the NorthRoad from SJ and could not get past the La Ballena arroyo. His parents live far up the Ballena arroyo almost to the Mulege side where their rancho sits on a bluff above a deep canyon. His Dad said at one point the water from the riverbed below was so high it neared the rim of the canyon.

Indicator of torrential rain and immense power of moving water: When intact date palm trees are ripped from the ground in La Purisima, carried to the mouth of the river at San Gregorio, and swept with the current 20 miles awayin less than one day.

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by oladulce]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 08:33 AM

That beer was looting. It was widely reported at Cabo.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
fishnbaja1

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 01:12 PM

Second attempt at posting Hurricane Odile pictures
cj5orion
Nomad

Mood: time for a cervaza !!!

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 01:49 PM

Hwy5 as of tuesday
OK...a few rocks on the road,a few big puddles.
NO WASHOUTS !

Gonzaga...little to nada damage

Home Remodels/Builds..Recession!
Gone BAJA BUILDIN/FISHIN !
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishnbaja1
Second attempt at posting Hurricane Odile pictures

This is the first post on the Baja Photo Gallery Forum:

We can help! Here's the step by step using one of the photo hosting sites 'Photobucket.com':

UPDATED FEB. 2014

There are many photo hosting sites, Photobucket.com is one used by many here, it is free for basic membership and very cheap for advanced.

1) Create an album for your trip or subject on Photobucket.

2) Click Upload (top center) to transfer photos from your PC folder to your Photobucket album.

3) Click on the gear symbol on the right corner of the box you see on the screen...

4) Select 800 (full size) or 640 (large size) for Nomad posting...

100x75 is the Avatar size, fyi.

5) Click SAVE!

6) Select photos you want to share on Nomad (or other forums) by pressing the Choose Photos & Videos button (or for the entire folder of photos, click Choose Folder).

Once done with uploading photos, make your post here on Baja Nomad and add photos using the IMG link from the choices of links for each photo in your album. Copy and paste that link in your Nomad thread, double spacing between links. Add a caption to the photo if desired... Click Preview Post to check your post... if okay, click Post Reply.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishnbaja1

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 02:17 PM

If this works, all the credit goes to David K.

Once again, photos of Hurricane Odile's damage at the Orchard. I apologize if I'm not posting them in the correct thread.

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/fishnbaja1/library/Hurrica...
Nancy Drew
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 02:22 PM

The Hyatt Ziva

http://www.enjoygram.com/m/811476263507169075_483655098

http://www.enjoygram.com/m/811480304677130101_483655098

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by Nancy Drew]
BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 03:00 PM

A short FB La Paz update from Jonathan Roldan.

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.roldan.7
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 07:00 PM

David K,

Why is it that when I follow the above instructions, but using Flickr, all I get is the flickr link with the img tags on either side. If I skip the img tags, I still get the link. What needs to happen for the image to actually display?

Thanks for any help.

http://www.lasecomujeres.org (Bilingual environmental education about Baja California)

Check out: http://www.meloncoyote.org (project of Journalism to Raise Environmental Awareness; a quarterly news bulletin for the Gulf of California Region).
mtzracing

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 07:09 PM

Can anyone here report the road condition today from Gonzaga to Coco's and beyond? I'm assuming the Tarmac from SF to Gonzaga is passable?

Thanks in advance,
MTZ
cftlet
Nomad

Mood: Modelo Negro on my mind

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 07:40 PM
Info from Los Barriles ?

I have been reading everything on Baja Nomads and find very little about Los Barriles. I have a little casita In Buenas Aires ( about 300 yards behind Pescadore Hotel). Has anybody got any information about the Buenas Aires area? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 07:53 PM

cftlet - You are probably OK. I have had emails from a few friends, one very close to you who all report minimal damage.
vjfamily
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 08:16 PM

Re Los Barriles, I suggest you send a question
to BPE, the wedsite is:

TheBajaponyexpress.com
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 10:33 AM
(ISLA) San Juanico, BCS Sept 20

Our friend Omar reports that yesterday a tractor went from SJ to Arroyo Los Burros (approx 18 miles South of SJ) and attempted to clear a path across. This is the large arroyo 1 mile inland from the junction of Rio La Purisima near the outflow to the ocean at Punta San Gregorio. It’s about ¼ mile wide and the road passes across the entire riverbed here.The tractor and many people with shovels worked to clear a path to drive through but every time he made a pass with the bucket, the mud and water would fill back in so they were not successful.

A few guys waded across at Los Burros and walked 1½ hrs to the next problem spot on this road- the “San Ramon” crossing (at Rancho Saucito and La Purisima river). This is about 20-22 miles South of SJ. Omar says almost all of the concrete causeway they finished last year is gone. The old route around the causeway, through the water and up the riverbank bank isn't an option because of the high water level and the ramp along the bank was washed away.

The old dirt road to La Purisima crosses both of these rivers also and won’t be an option anytime soon so there is still no getting in or out from the South, and no access to the East Road to attempt to cross the peninsula.

To the North of SJ, the road from La Ballena through the mountains to Mulege (“Ice house road”) was wiped out and access to the ranchos is by horseback only.

North Road via salt flats- no information, but silly to even ask at this point…

Yesterday a superpanga came in from Lopez Mateos (approx 110 miles ) with canned food to distribute as needed and 2 days after the storm another superpanga came in and picked up 3 pregnant ladies and took them, in post-storm sea conditions, to be closer to the hospital in Cd Constitucion. Travel by sea is the only guaranteed way to access San Juanico at this point.

Eventually someone will plow through and be able to get in or out but it’ll be a very long time before delivery trucks, vendors, propane guys, and the local families that sell gas can get their trucks in or out. There’s no gasoline being sold, and store shelves have become bare over the past few days as folks realize it may be awhile. Life continues to hum along…

I don’t live within the town limits and don’t know about the fuel status for the power plant or pump for the town’s water supply so maybe someone else can add that info.

San Juanico Town beach

[Edited on 9-20-2014 by oladulce]
cj5orion
Nomad

Mood: time for a cervaza !!!

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 06:32 PM

Didnt get on the road to coco,s
But I saw a lot of cars,trucks,n cycles.
Going south n coming north

Home Remodels/Builds..Recession!
Gone BAJA BUILDIN/FISHIN !
Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 09:56 AM

San Juanico update

The north roads remain totally unpassable. Do not make the attempt until there is word of improvement. The road to the Laguna south of San Igancio is inundated, and there is an unpassable arroyo at la Ballena closer to town. One local person left his car at the arroyo, swam across, and walked to town, according to a report I had this morning.

I have heard that the south road might be cleared as early as Tuesday, but I have no confirmed reports. Oladulce is on the ground at the scene, while I am writing from California on the basis of what is related to me.

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr. Seuss

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.