BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: Any news about Bahia de Los Angeles?
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 07:29 PM

Robert...you're pretty much on high ground so I suspect ur okay in terms of water and mud. With the improvements Jay made I suspect the drainage in the camp is a little bit different this time around. The last major storm left a ton of mud on my place. This should be interesting...
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:10 PM

Dern and I were trying to count the washes between town and the south end of the bay too. I'm betting the entire road is toast. I hope those folks in the trailer behind the red mountain, Ramon and Maria, came out ok.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:11 PM

I just got off the phone with Aurora Diaz and she said that the road south of town is washed away and not passable. She also said that highway 1 has washed away at Catavina, San Vicente and south of El Rosario.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
horntoad

Mood: bahiaized

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:14 PM

Thanks Paulina...I appreciate the update. What a bummer...I hope everyone in town is doing okay. Any word from Casa Diaz? Hope Chubasco and family are all okay, along with our buddy Pepe Smith. Pepe was supposed to come up to San Diego this weekend....Might have to try and get down this weekend provided the roads are passable. Watched the storm track on weather underground, and the eye of the storm literally passed right through the inner bay moving North...Man, not good news for our friends in Bahia. I hope the water subsides quick so people can get in and out of town, and supplies can be brought in.

jig thrower/baja junkie
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:32 PM

Chubasco and family are fine.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:35 PM

Thanks for the update!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:37 PM

Makes sense. North of the bay is where mountains come right to the water. South end too, but the mountains open up towards Las Animas valley.

This path across the LA bay is unusual for tropical storms, no?
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:50 PM

Well...the freshly graded road south of town was nice for three months...I knew it was too good to last! Best wishes to everyone there.
brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 10:23 PM

I'm in Gonzaga and can believe that 20" fell. It's 10 pm and it kicked up hard again. My house is flooded from leaks. Can't stop wind driven rain. It's going to be a long night emptying buckets.
Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
I have info to pass on from Abraham. He is not there, just left yesterday. He communicated with two people in town via satellite phone/internet hooked up to generator power.

6:30pm - Rain has stopped, winds are slowing down. There is no access to town right now. The town is cut off. The main arroyo flooded (going to the dump), a few cars got taken away trying to cross.

No injuries, no fatalities.

Some houses north of town had to be evacuated. A river came down close to Daggetts.

Houses in town were flooded. Rayna's restaurant filled with water, waist deep.

There is no electricity, 30 posts are supposed to be down due to wind, "No electricity for a while. No refrigerators in town, no water makers. Depending on the access, it could get unpleasant. Lot's of people are worried."

He stated that the rain gauge in Gonzaga Bay, Punta Final is showing 20" already.

There are no propane fridges left in town, so that is not an option.

Sailboats went to Don Juan.

No news from the south end of the bay.

I will update this post if I hear anymore info. Dern is going to try to talk to some folks via hamster talk tonight.

P>*)))>{
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 06:30 AM

Look at Google Earth and zoom out a little. Then you start to see the huge washes and drainages that go through/near Geckos. Holy cow. Not only that, but when I run there I go over/through a lot of dry washes all up and down the beach. Seems like every house has one nearby. I'll be down there in three weeks and take a ton of pics. Wish I could go sooner but have work to do.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 07:33 AM

Kevin
Good luck, I hope you have no real damage. Let us know how things are up there in Gonzaga.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 08:36 AM

Thanks...keep us updated

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
David A.
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 10:14 AM

Doug,
Stevo, Berguise, and Phil are going down a week from Thursday, if the roads are open. They will be able to give you a heads up on road conditions.
If they don't make it out to the campo, please take a couple of picks of our place. We can't get down until December.
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by horntoad
Thanks Paulina...I appreciate the update. What a bummer...I hope everyone in town is doing okay. Any word from Casa Diaz? Hope Chubasco and family are all okay, along with our buddy Pepe Smith. Pepe was supposed to come up to San Diego this weekend....Might have to try and get down this weekend provided the roads are passable. Watched the storm track on weather underground, and the eye of the storm literally passed right through the inner bay moving North...Man, not good news for our friends in Bahia. I hope the water subsides quick so people can get in and out of town, and supplies can be brought in.

If Pepe is coming to San Diego please U2U me a contact number. Would definitely like to see him. Have known him for 35 years. Known Paulina about that long too. Geesh, we are getting old.:wow:
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 10:40 AM

Pics of our place in Gecko would be appreciated - I'm hoping Steve & Phil will get some.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 11:00 AM

yep, I can't get down until 10-17. looks like a working vacation is in store!

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 11:21 AM

Nothing yet?

Which "big arroyo North of town" was raging, - the one across from La Gringa?
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 11:43 AM

I heard somewhere that there was a lot of water running through Daggett's.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Nothing yet?

Which "big arroyo North of town" was raging, - the one across from La Gringa?

I would think it is the canyon that the highway uses... that empties all the interior area east of the divide where the other side goes to the dry lake bed (not dry anymore, probably!) Laguna Agua Amarga.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

harbormaster

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 12:00 PM

Hey Brewer,
Since your in Gonzaga can you give me an update? I have a place in Punta Bufeo. Any storm surge or water in the places at Gonzaga from the bay? The WX station at Punta Final shows 50" of rain in the last 24 hours. I was hoping the gauge is broken.
Take good care
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.