BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Hurricane Odile for the 'other' Bajita's....
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 06:53 PM
Hurricane Odile for the 'other' Bajita's....

.....please allow this thread to focus on discussion of Baja's native population and their experience of this hurricane.
...I'm sure all here have a special place in our hearts for those native to mexico,,but the way things are,,,it seems only those with internet who's story makes it here.....let's take time as we can to document the experience of those who live more simply.

....leading up to sunday night's pounding of Cabo,,,there was various mentions of under-reporting and even non-reporting of the incoming hurricane,,,and especially it's amping-up in strength in the 1/2 day Odile hit.

...I've heard some mention of there being some degree of shelters for the native population,,,,but wonder how in heck that's any good if there's little to no warning of the magnitude of an upcoming storm!?....I guess those shelters are used for surviving population to gather?

...some other comments in regard to shelters....''I think the Gov finds places for them in real buildings, probably public ones but maybe they nudge some of the private owners of whatever also. There's a Costco & a Home Depot there ferinstance. But please don't take my word for it, 'cuz I'm not truly sure.........any fill-in to this??

....some mention of Cabo here.....''I spoke with a Cabo friend who is in property mgt. He said felt awful trying to get staff to come in today to clean resort homes, when staff were trying to salvage what was left of their owns casa's. Major mud slides in the colonios.''

[img].....if there was some photo documentation,,stories,, experiences etc that our dear Mexi friends go through,,,the might be some way to affect some change.[/img]

.........discuss:rolleyes:

[Edited on 9-16-2014 by micah202]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 07:04 PM

It's been all over Mex TV and radio with as much warning as possible. People listen and spread the word. Mex army vehicles were in the hills yesterday around Cabo doing their best to help folks in rural areas. Emergency shelters were set up in town.

These folks have been living through hurricanes every year. It's brutal, that's true, but all have much experience.
Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 07:06 PM

Talking with all our national friends, they had plenty of warning via the TV. They also new of all the shelters. Not sure where you get your information, we live here. We are all one during this time. A friend who is a national came over to get a generator from us, we all work together. Its not Mexican verus American or Canadian, its just all working together,. We share with each other.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 07:07 PM

I make it a practice to not post the photos of others, especially when I do not know the photographer, but I am going to do so anyway.

After looking at photo after photo of damaged resorts, businesses, and even an airport, this photo popped up on another facebook page and it really tells the story. So sad!:no::no:

And I have seen the Mexican Army in action during and after disasters and they are great with warning, assisting, and relief efforts. Unfortunately, no warning could stop this.

[Edited on 9-16-2014 by DianaT]
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
It's been all over Mex TV and radio with as much warning as possible. People listen and spread the word. Mex army vehicles were in the hills yesterday around Cabo doing their best to help folks in rural areas. Emergency shelters were set up in town.

These folks have been living through hurricanes every year. It's brutal, that's true, but all have much experience.

.....there seemed to be a few comments to the contrary on these pages yesterday,,from people on location in and around the cape,no?
...it sounds like your report is saying...'all good'--what does it mean when people can't get their staff to hotels because.....they were ''trying to salvage what was left of their owns casa's. Major mud slides in the colonios.'':?::?:

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
I make it a practice to not post the photos of others, especially when I do not know the photographer, but I am going to do so anyway.

After looking at photo after photo of damaged resorts, businesses, and even an airport, this photo popped up on another facebook page and it really tells the story. So sad!:no::no:

And I have seen the Mexican Army in action during and after disasters and they are great with warning, assisting, and relief efforts. Unfortunately, no warning could stop this.

...thanks Diana and others....this IS definitely a sensitive subject for us all--I apologize if I pull or push too hard in one way or another.
...in terms of warning...I could only go with what I heard yesterday,,which seemed to be a level of alarm!
....'we are one' works well in smaller communities---how about larger populations? :?:

....any other photo's around that neighborhood??

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202

...it sounds like your report is saying...'all good'--

Where did you get that from?

I said:

"It's brutal, that's true, but all have much experience."

[Edited on 9-16-2014 by SFandH]
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I said:

....from everything else you said....sorry.:(
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 07:22 PM
Photos

http://www.weather.com/news/hurricane-odile-slams-baja-calif...

azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 07:24 PM

There was likely info given via Tv etal, but what if you are one of those who can't afford the TV bill? Many locals there lack some of these basic services. What about those folks in arroyos in San Lucas, San Jose, whose houses are no more than cardboard , tin shacks. Yes many have experience, but let's not forget, many came from the mainland to work when all these resorts were being built and they do not have have the experience the original ranching families have with hurricanes. For many to re build is a daunting, if not impossible task. Let's not forget we came to Baja with more financial assets than most of these people have, or ever will have.It is great to see donations set up to help some businesses rebuild, but let's not forget the people who have little or next to nothing

[Edited on 9-16-2014 by azucena]

[Edited on 9-16-2014 by azucena]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
http://www.weather.com/news/hurricane-odile-slams-baja-calif...

THANK YOU --- now I know where that picture came from and there other GREAT photos there. Thanks again!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 07:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I said:

....from everything else you said....sorry.:(

Don't get me wrong, I'm not minimizing the suffering natural disasters cause. We see it every year in tornado alley in the US. Every year. We see it every year in the West with wildfires. Every year. And huge hurricanes whack the US often, causing massive destruction.

These folks see tropical storms and/or hurricanes every year. It's brutal, that's true, but all have much experience and from what I've seen watching Mex TV, I'm in northern Baja now, preparation was pretty good.

[Edited on 9-16-2014 by SFandH]
jakethedog
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 07:51 PM

Micah, why don't you get off your computer and quit telling everybody else how it is and leave tommorrow, like I and go help your mexican community.
It sucks for all. They all knew it was coming ( read and be informed), except for the ranchers and a few stragglers. It is not their first rodeo!
Or just stay up in Canada and keep telling everybody else what they are, or have been doing wrong! Sounds like that is what most do.
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jakethedog
Micah, why don't you get off your computer and quit telling everybody else how it is and leave tommorrow, like I and go help your mexican community.
It sucks for all. They all knew it was coming ( read and be informed), except for the ranchers and a few stragglers. It is not their first rodeo!
Or just stay up in Canada and keep telling everybody else what they are, or have been doing wrong! Sounds like that is what most do.

Not sure where all this anger came from. He was just trying to point out that most of the reports, etc. are coming from those who have more than a cardboard house to live in and to focus some energy on those who have a lot more to lose because they started with so much less. I see no high horse here. Simmer down.
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 10:19 PM

Here's a shot of what he was referring to:

http://www.enjoygram.com/m/810504646478205384_276207243

Don't know how you could construe concern over this into some kind of bad thing...
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 10:22 PM

...thanks Azucena and Kgryfon....yer say it better than I.
....those pictures-WOW....I guess looting is an effective first-round support for many--it'd take some time for government support to organize.
.........particularly poignant are the dazed faces of some of the 30,000(!!) tourists,,,and the big-span view of endless shanty-homes--or what's left of them.....I couldn't imagine being there when all hell fury and sheet-metal's flying :wow::no::wow:

......my sentiments might have me go down to help,,but it's likely I'd be completely useless...probably best I keep at my work and send a donation to those who are properly organized.

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kgryfon

...that's one of the shot's I had in mind :wow:

and what about this loaded comment??..........
''I spoke with a Cabo friend who is in property mgt. He said felt awful trying to get staff to come in today to clean resort homes, when staff were trying to salvage what was left of their owns casa's. Major mud slides in the colonios.''

....where are the 'colonios'??...what do they look like??

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 05:55 AM

was glad to hear that relief ships are already loaded and arriving soon!

............''Have heard they are using Military airlifts to clear people from Cabo. The Mega Sail Yacht M5, who has laid over in PV for several weeks, departed last night for Cabo carrying extensive relief supplies. ''
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 07:58 AM

If you look at the picture of one of the colonias, doesn't seem to be any TVs there, nor electricity for that matter...
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 03:10 PM

This COLONIA area is the one on the other side of the hill as one leaves the marina area of Cabo (headed toward Todos Santos).

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kgryfon

...that's one of the shot's I had in mind :wow:

and what about this loaded comment??..........
''I spoke with a Cabo friend who is in property mgt. He said felt awful trying to get staff to come in today to clean resort homes, when staff were trying to salvage what was left of their owns casa's. Major mud slides in the colonios.''

....where are the 'colonios'??...what do they look like??

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.