Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7
Author: Subject: Anything from Mulege
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 05:17 PM

Good to see the town is not under water & sounds like everyone made it through in one piece, Thanks for the pics & info, Oh yeah is this the 1st test for the new diversion project ? did it work?

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by blackwolfmt]
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 05:17 PM

Bob, may we share these photos on Facebook?

http://www.lasecomujeres.org (Bilingual environmental education about Baja California)

Check out: http://www.meloncoyote.org (project of Journalism to Raise Environmental Awareness; a quarterly news bulletin for the Gulf of California Region).
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 05:20 PM

of course...it is what it is

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ecomujeres
News from a Facebook post one hour old, from a Mulegina currently in TJ. She was in communication with Guerrero Negro authorities.

"No hay paso por Vizcaíno, vado San Pablo con dos metros de agua, y uno de los puentes cerca de Palo Verde se cayó, asi que cambio de planes hasta nuevo aviso de Policía Federal de Guerrero Negro."

English: There is no passage through Vizcaino. San Pablo arroyo has 2 meters of water. And one of the bridges near Palo Verde collapsed. Therefor, a change in plans until further news from the Federal Police in Guerrero Negro.

Bob this was posted earlier; looks like the hold up is Vizcaino for sure but also problems at Palo Verde
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 05:41 PM

any one down there is vary busy with there own problems right now, Im sure there will be lots of photos later.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

cliffh
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 05:45 PM

Ok the toughest place in Mulege, what are the reports from the jungle Cliff Hope all along the river are doing OK, be down 2nd week of Oct. need anything let me know. Cliff
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 05:48 PM

I wonder if they were pouring drinks in Scotty's like during H.Jimena????
Setting on bar stools in a pool of water & sippin suds. Classic

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 06:10 PM

Here´s the link to a public group on Facebook for those who use the site and want to join. Most people are Mexicans so it´s primarily in Spanish, but I´ve been adding my translations to any of the important news items, which at this point are minimal...

https://www.facebook.com/search/more?q=Comunidad%20Muleg%C3%...

http://www.lasecomujeres.org (Bilingual environmental education about Baja California)

Check out: http://www.meloncoyote.org (project of Journalism to Raise Environmental Awareness; a quarterly news bulletin for the Gulf of California Region).
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 07:18 PM

It looks to me like it could have been so much worse in Mulege. The river seems to be within its banks from Bobs photos. I hope it is as it appears. Hard to not be seeing more from Loreto, I am guardedly happy for Mulegeños-- hope it holds!
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:03 PM

Last we heard is that the water crested over 15 feet close to the Orchard and the Oasis... but that has not been confirmed yet... maybe tomorrow more information will come out...
all we can do is hope a lot of the stories are just that... stories.....

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
bruce...your place looks the same...

Bob you are the man In Mulege thanks much, and let us know if there is anything we can do for you and Susan

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 10:47 PM

For those who are thinking about ways to help out with relief to the areas affected by Hurricane Odile, here is a way to donate. For those of you who are familiar with Mulegé, Lily Gutierrez is the daughter of Paty Yee, who used to have the taqueria Rice and Beans next to Casa Yee. She is eager to help out her home town. She is currently attending university in San Diego.

http://www.gofundme.com/ekf82g

EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 11:14 PM

I got a confirmation that flood water reached Serenidad but barely, about 6" in one of the residences there.
That means about 10ft in my house, #56 Oasis (which has an 8ft ceiling), 12+ at west end of Oasis & higher in Orchard, based on the "glide slope" of the last few floods. Had to be 20+ feet under the bridge.
those figures square w/in a foot or so of the depth Cliff Taylor quoted to Susie for their Bouse in Oasis when he reached her on a satellite phone earlier today.
Bad flood, maybe a bit less than Jimena, but close.
So far no casualties reported that I've seen.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 05:31 AM

EngineerMike please do not post anything you do not know for a fact...
that's how rumors start

you can do that when you're sitting at the jungle

I went to diegos pharmacy yesterday and he was dry ...no mud

Albas was mopping up...they will be clean today

everyone is waiting for electricty

the river did flood but we don't know how much until there are confirmed pictures

since you live on the river in the winter im sure YOU have damage

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 05:50 AM

Thanks, it's good to hear no problem in Mulege, business as usual eh?

EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 08:11 AM

Bob & Susan-
Thanks for your additional observations; more data is better. You are right that I don't have photos down the river to confirm what I've posted. And its possible damage is light, but not likely. Just trying to get a reasonable estimate out based on real reports & filtering those for inaccuracies I can spot.

I have two on-site, after the flood reports. First is Cliff Taylor, who rode out the storm in his house & reported 6-7ft in his house and also "into the loft" which is about 7.5ft (conflicting amounts but not contradictory). Its possible, in fact likely, that 6-8" of that is local flooding, i.e. sheet flow runoff from surrounding hills propping up the flood level on its way to the main thread of the river, and not flood level generated from the valley to our west. Local flooding of that nature was first-hand reported by Rochelle while riding it out in her house next to the Oficina in the Oasis just before the power/internet went out in town. Local flooding of that type has occured before w/zero major valley flooding. So I'm concluding a minimum of 6ft of arroyo flooding at Cliff's house.

2nd, Jerry McCord at noon yesterday reported:
my place at Serenidad got about 6" of muddy water so assume they (folks upstream) got a lot more. River is still high, has widened itself below the bridge. The 'new' road along the river and the lower bridge seem to have survived. Lower road is closed on the town side due to debris before and on the new bridge.

History of our vicinity below the big bridge shows a repeat pattern. To have 6ft at Cliff's place, you have to have more the further west you go, and less toward McCord's at Serenidad, and those two observations square w/the usual (non-random) slope of a Mulege flood. Those numbers & historical observation drive my earlier estimates. Trust me, I wish none of it were true.

If Diego had no water in his store, that's good news vs up to the bar stool seats in Scotty's (across the street) during Jimena which would have put a coupla feet at least in Diego's. That's 2-3ft lower than Jimena, still a major flood. And that squares w/your photo posted 15:01 above, water line there indicates just shy of Diego's, coupla feet in Alba's on the square.

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 08:39 AM

.....I'm rather concerned to hear that people rode out the storm with water flowing through their homes--there's a possibility that there can be a larger short term 'flush' caused by the recent diversion/hold-back work done in the back country behind Mulege
....has anyone surveyed,assessed this work either before or since Odile?

....did anyone measure the amount of rain that fell in the region during Odile?

...I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's taken a look back there...
.........u2u's welcome!

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by micah202]
Jdgranlund

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 10:11 AM

I tried the Facebook link above but it appears to have been removed. Does anyone know of any other sties with info about Mulege? My father was last heard from in the Mulege area on Monday evening.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jdgranlund
I tried the Facebook link above but it appears to have been removed. Does anyone know of any other sties with info about Mulege? My father was last heard from in the Mulege area on Monday evening.

just wait it out Here, there is very little coming out of Mulege yet.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Justbozo
Nomad

Mood: Got my little stone hut on the bay

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 11:03 AM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/890051607690642/?fref=ts

Try copy and paste this link for the Mulege Facebook page above.
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.