Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: "VIVA BAJA" Film 1975
Bat2210

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 12:05 PM
"VIVA BAJA" Film 1975

Saw an request about this film from many years ago. Did anything ever come about? I was one of the pilots on that film. Roger Tilton director and Barry Herron filmed it. Thanks
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 12:32 PM

Wait til David K sees your request. If he doesn't have your answer, probably no one will.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bat2210
Saw an request about this film from many years ago. Did anything ever come about? I was one of the pilots on that film. Roger Tilton director and Barry Herron filmed it. Thanks

Hi Bat... It was me who asked about the Omni-Max film shown at the Reuben H. Fleet Space Theater in San Diego. I was friends with Mitch Fleet who wanted me involved in the locations to be filmed... but that was already done when that idea came up. My 1975 Baja Road Guide was sold at the Space Theater gift shop when that film ran... thanks to Mitch (Reuben's grandson).

I hoped after all these years and the Internet, for sure I could find that great short film "Viva Baja" to see again... My web site http://vivabaja.com reflects the enthusiasm for adventure in Baja that film inspired... made shortly after the Baja highway was completed.

I hope you have some news that we can see the film on You Tube or some other way???

Thank you and welcome to Baja Nomad!
David

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bat2210

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 06:14 AM

David, boy I wish I could find a copy of the film (only 11 minutes) years ago somebody at RHF said they could get me a video but never happened. Knew Mitch well he did not go on the Viva Baja film. A few months later we did an IMAX film on the Rivers of North America. Mitch went with us on that one we were roommates and drank a lot of beer. If Mitch is still around he might be able to help with Rueben H Fleet Space center. Larry.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 07:59 AM

Quote:
David, boy I wish I could find a copy of the film (only 11 minutes) years ago somebody at RHF said they could get me a video but never happened. Knew Mitch well he did not go on the Viva Baja film. A few months later we did an IMAX film on the Rivers of North America. Mitch went with us on that one we were roommates and drank a lot of beer. If Mitch is still around he might be able to help with Rueben H Fleet Space center. Larry.

I lost contact with Mitch back in the late 70's... He came with me to watch the Baja 500 once and we used to communicate on CB radio regularly... we both lived in the Escondido area. Last I heard he was a bartender (I think?)! That would have been a dangerous career for him, I think! lol

When his dad was promoting and building Organ Power Pizzas, I used to go to the locations with Mitch and hear the organist play those giant organs... Pizza was good too! Guess that didn't last... ? We went to the one in Clairemont Mesa, by the 163, but I recall he had one in Point Loma, Solana Beach, and ???

If you ever come across that video, remember my web site "VivaBaja.com" and use the email link there to contact me (or here on Nomad), please.

Thank you and "Viva Baja"!!!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bat2210

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 05:24 PM

David, the heir to the Fleet fortune probably wasn't a bartender very long. I went to an Organ Power Pizza opening in Mission Bay, good fun. Next week I'm going to contact the IMAX people at RHF space theater and see if they can help. Problem is it was in old film format and needs to be converted. Thank Larry
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 05:50 PM

I am having dinner tonight with the longest tenured employee at RHF. She started the first day they opened and is still there. I will ask her about the film when she gets to the casa. Maybe she can track it down. You never know.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 05:57 PM

Thanks Matt, that would be awesome! Reminds me of when we shared Bajo California video.

Bat2210

[*] posted on 9-28-2014 at 10:29 AM

During the filming of VIVA BAJA the director of photography Barry Herron took many personal pictures during filming. We went down the west coast to Cabo the up the east coast. While in Scammons Lagoon we saw Gigi the whale they let go years earlier. Barry Harron passed this April I'm trying to get in touch with his family to get some copy's of the Baja pictures. It would be nice if RHF converted that old film to digital.
Bat2210

[*] posted on 9-28-2014 at 10:54 AM

Here are the aircraft we flew on the filming of VIVA BAJA 1975. A Beech AT 11 and a Beech Staggerwing the first was in La Paz March 1975 and the second was just north of Ensenada along the coast you can just see the Staggerwing ahead of me and the IMAX camera mounted in the nose of the AT11.

[Edited on 9-28-2014 by Bat2210]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2014 at 11:59 AM

email me the photo file and I will post it here! info @ vivabaja.com .

c311647

[*] posted on 9-28-2014 at 02:10 PM

Sadly, it appears Mitch passed away quite some time ago. Here is the link.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=31...
Bat2210

[*] posted on 9-28-2014 at 02:44 PM

Sad, Mitch was a good kid, passed way to young.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2014 at 03:24 PM

My fri md from the fleet said that Viva Baja was the second film ever screened at RHF. She was going to talk to the current head projectionist who is the son of the original projectionist and see what can be found. She mentioned what a great guy Mr. Tilton was and how he would always come to the fleet when one of his projects was playing and whenever they had anniversaries and such.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bat2210

[*] posted on 9-28-2014 at 08:17 PM

Roger Tilton was a great man. We had fun doing VIVA BAJA and the unfinished Rivers of North America. I'm a retired airline pilot. I was building my flight time during the filming. Please let me know if they can get the old film to digital. Thanks Larry
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2014 at 08:26 PM

Viva Baja should have been copyrighted by the film maker. or maybe it was????
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

What's the issue regarding copyright concerns? Only certain parts of a movie may be copyrighted. Not seeing the relevance here. If you're referencing trademarks, it's even less of an issue.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Bat2210

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 07:19 AM

Having been one of the pilots on this film, it shows Baja in its infancy 1975. With many aerial shots it would be a great film to see now. Hopefully RHF can or already has converted it from film to digital.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

What's the issue regarding copyright concerns? Only certain parts of a movie may be copyrighted. Not seeing the relevance here. If you're referencing trademarks, it's even less of an issue.

you are correct titles can be trademarked but not copyrighted.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 09:49 AM
Photos from Bat2210

Quote:
Here are the aircraft we flew on the filming of VIVA BAJA 1975. A Beech AT 11 and a Beech Staggerwing the first was in La Paz March 1975 and the second was just north of Ensenada along the coast you can just see the Staggerwing ahead of me and the IMAX camera mounted in the nose of the AT11.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.