BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Border crossing- shorter wait at San Ysidro now???
skipowell
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 10:04 AM
Border crossing- shorter wait at San Ysidro now???

Would love to her first hand from crossers.
Last Wednesday the the San Diego Union Tribune published an article stating that all lanes are now open at San Ysidro and the wait time is way down.
Been following the Border Wait app and the CBP website this week and the wait times do seem to be significantly less.
I am going to test the Ready Lane tomorrow morning as I brought a Non Sentri car down this weekend. Just to be safe I am going to get an early start.
Lets share our experiences

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/sep/17/san-ysidro-border...

edit added link

[Edited on 9-20-2014 by skipowell]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 10:18 AM

lets hope for the best but I gotta say my last 4 or 5 crossings in the readylane have all been under a half hour, all weekdays at 10AM. I can live with that!:yes:
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 10:24 AM

I crossed on Tuesday at 330pm and no cars in SENTRI, very few cars in the other lanes. I thought it might be due to the MX holiday.

I crossed Friday at noon and very short wait times for all lanes. I didn't notice if all lanes are now open.
skipowell
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 04:55 PM
10 min wait in ready lane Sunday 8am

I crossed San Ysidro this morning in the Ready Lane as I have Sentri but my new car isn't approved yet. I got through in 10 minutes. My husband took his car through Sentri and only got through a minute or so faster.
Whoo Hoo. I was so bummed about the 6 month wait to get a car added and now thinking it not be worth the hassle when I finally get the approval, to bad I already paid the $42. I don't have to drive my car down that often.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 05:03 PM

Let's not jump to conclusions in the border zone. The area has the ability to morph into a monster at any moment.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Let's not jump to conclusions in the border zone. The area has the ability to morph into a monster at any moment.

Orange alert! Orange Alert!

I do know may who are ready to return to visiting the area who are only being held back by the interminable waits of the last few years. The stated goal by the government PR machine for spending nearly $200 mil was to ensure that the wait at the busiest border land crossing in the world would never be more then 30 minutes in any lane. :saint:

We shall see. :biggrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 06:56 PM

We shall see...yes. The area does have a way of breeding pessimism.

TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
We shall see...yes. The area does have a way of breeding pessimism.

I agree. next time they want to get more funding for staff or whatever other reason they can think of the waits will increase.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 07:45 PM

Viva Sentri! :lol:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 11:03 PM

SY crossing has been faster all week. It's spooky...I am cruising up to the booths with very few cars in line. It's like going in a DMV office and getting fast and friendly service. No, not possible. I must be dreaming. Could not be true....DMV that is (in CA) but the SY crossing seems to be working.

After watching the construction process over a couple years and seeing the changes come to life, me thinks it is working.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-22-2014 at 06:02 AM

20 minute wait sunday 9-22 wow

...forget tecate

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2014 at 06:29 AM

Enjoy it while you can. It will eventually fill up with people using San Ysidro instead of Otay and with US and TJ day trippers who before would not cross because of the back-up now deciding to give it a shot to visit / shop San Diego / TJ.

I hope I'm wrong, but....................

[Edited on 9-22-2014 by SFandH]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2014 at 07:03 AM

I'm doing a Tecate run this AM. It's been so long...years...since I went through SY, I know I'd be lost in TJ and eaten by the natives.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-22-2014 at 07:12 AM

took the tour of tj too...dennis...missed the barrier...and a guy at the stop sign told me what to do...damn

thank god for cell phone gps....it was dark : )

took us right back and we crossed in 20 minutes at 7pm

back home tomorrow
another "run to the border"

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2014 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Enjoy it while you can. It will eventually fill up with people using San Ysidro instead of Otay and with US and TJ day trippers who before would not cross because of the back-up now deciding to give it a shot to visit / shop San Diego / TJ.

I hope I'm wrong, but....................

[Edited on 9-22-2014 by SFandH]

This is true, it's just a matter of time before it gets backed up again.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2014 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
20 minute wait sunday 9-22 wow

...forget tecate

SENTRI? Ready Lanes? What time!??

Of course I crossed 2 Sundays ago at 9am and it took me an hour in SENTRI! They were diverting traffic around the construction....
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 12:01 PM

Buenos dias amigos,

We just crossed the border in Tecate last night(09/25/14 about 7:00pm) trailering a 16' boat after a camping trip to San Luis Gonzaga, the truck cab and bed were loaded with us and our equipment as well as the boat: used the left lane after the military post, took about 30 minutes to cross (don't try this on weekends specially on Sundays or on US or Mexican holidays, best time is Mon-Fri from 3:00pm on after), line started about half way down the hill (where the vendors start), we have (all 4 for the past 12 years) SENTRI Cards, officer asked what we had to declare and I gave him a verbal list (be prepared to do so and be very specific and clear) of vegetables, beer cans (3), wine bottles (6 bought in the US) and cheese, he replied asking if any poultry or pork and I said NO, it seems beef may have some problem coming across; then he seemed to go ahead and start writing the red slip for secondary inspection when he asked me if the trailer had its own registration which I immediately displayed (so be prepared and hand over any trailer and/or boat registration with your passport(s)) he checked it and sent us on our way... this was a great surprise and a pleasant one: no secondary. REMEMBER: BE PREPARED with ALL your info BEFORE arriving to the check point and check and recheck your paper work!!!!

When in Tecate try out El Tucan Restaurant in El Dorado Hotel (nice, basic, clean rooms: $450.00 pesos for double, wifi and secured parking -if available you can use the private parking not the street while dining- ph:665-654-1333), on weekends try the authentic Mexican all you eat buffet or you can also order from the menu, good freshly ground coffee, very clean restaurant and clean restrooms. Its on the main street: Avenida Juarez, coming from Ensenada drive north past the railroad tracks into town, at the Plaza make a left onto Avenida Juarez, drive west for about 8 blocks to the west end of downtown and its on the corner of Calle Cantu and Avenida Juarez east of the Red Cross.

Try this links:

to find out crossing times at ANY of Baja's Border Crossing:

http://bwt.cbp.gov/?com=1&pas=1&ped=1&plist=2503...

to find out crossing times at the Tijuana Border Crossing:

http://garitacenter.com/

http://www.frontera.info/Garitas/

http://www.el-mexicano.com.mx/traficoengaritas

to find out what fruits and vegetables you can bring across the border, refresh your browser because it changes from time to time:

https://epermits.aphis.usda.gov/manual/index.cfm?NEW=1&R...

[Edited on 9-26-2014 by carlosg]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 12:33 PM

Thank you!:saint:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 02:27 PM

Question please,

How does one qualify to use the Ready Lane. We have applied for Sentri, but still waiting.

Many thanks

Ron and Mary Ann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

lol.gif posted on 9-26-2014 at 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by carlosg
We just crossed the border in Tecate last night... took about 30 minutes to cross

now that SY xing is operating quickly, you tecate crossers will have to come up with a new reason for taking the very inconvenient and extra long xing thru tecate :biggrin: :lol:
:lol:
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
:light::light:
:biggrin:

i hope the border waits stay short. this border xing is one budget item i hope my govt taxes and spends money like a drunken sailor!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.