BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Roads in north central Baja?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-25-2014 at 11:10 AM
Roads in north central Baja?

I am familiar with Mex 3 from Tecate through Ensenada to San Felipe, and Mex 5, from Mexicali south, but I have never ventured into the area between those routes heading south from Mex 2.
My first concern, is it safe to travel alone there, or is it getting like the northern border on the mainland which I avoid now.
I enjoy a challenging drive, but if it is hours of wash board and potholes, is the scenery worth the side trip? I notice there is a national park in the center of the area, anybody care to describe it?
I don't anticipate needing to stop for gas or supplies for a short trip like that, but is that an option?
Thanks for any info, G.L.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 9-25-2014 at 02:32 PM

Beautiful drive thru the pines. Road thru the park to Rumorosa is easy even in 2 wheel drive.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-25-2014 at 02:47 PM

A part of Baja that shouldnt be missed....do it...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2014 at 03:25 PM

Take the Baja Alamanac with you and if you get lost just ask someone where to go. Don't go thru private property or keep out signs at a gate. If a gate is unmarked and closed you can go thru but make sure you close it, it's to keep their cattle in. Stay on the road most traveled. Lots of warm and friendly people. Don't litter and enjoy.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2014 at 03:43 PM

No fuel that I know of for sale up there but we did find a taco stand in a small town just before entering the park.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2014 at 03:45 PM

Taco Stand

[Edited on 10-7-2014 by BajaNomad]
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2014 at 03:48 PM

The road we turned off of 3 onto was marked with this sign. It is between Ojos Negros and the turn off to Mikes Sky Ranch.

[Edited on 10-7-2014 by BajaNomad]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2014 at 05:41 PM

I love this web site, and Nomads! If I get much more info, I won't even need to go check it out! (just kidding, all info welcome)
One more question, I will be coming from the north, and Mexicali or Tecate are a toss up for my drive. Which border crossing is recommended?
Thanks again, G.L.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2014 at 07:36 PM

Most of us are unable to visit baja as often as we like so talking about it and helping others helps to ease the pain. Lol. My friends from cali use tecate. I am coming from az so I use mexicali.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-25-2014 at 08:15 PM

Are you going via Gonzaga Bay? Southbound Mexicali is faster and cheaper than Tecate.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2014 at 08:58 PM

I will be passing through Gonzaga Bay on my way south, but I want to check out the roads west of Mexicali or east of Tecate, which makes the distance roughly the same by the time I get to Mex 3. I will be starting from northern CA near the NV border, and the road and scenery are more important than speed!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-25-2014 at 10:39 PM

Tecate then since you want to see the high country. You could then join Hwy. 3 at Independeciaand continue to San Felipe. Have fun!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 01:20 PM

I'm glad this question came up! We're getting ready to head south, ultimately going all the way down to Cabo Pulmo. For the first time, would like to try crossing somewhere other than Tijuana. Have heard that Tecate's a much more mellow crossing.

Is the road from Tecate to Ensenada in good shape these days? Sounds like a scenic drive, and would be good to take a new route.

Maybe we'll make some side trips along Highway 3.

Julie
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 01:49 PM
Tecate

Tecate is my choice on the west side, but it can jam up on weekends starting Friday afternoon. Be sure to avoid turning on to the toll road, you don't need it.
I drove the road to Ensenada in December, and it was great, and scenic, winding through wine country.
I crossed into Mexico at Otay Mesa (six miles east of TJ) on my way south and did not even come to a full stop going through the gate, but it was much later in the evening than I would recommend traveling. I have no idea what crossing into the US at that entry is like.
G.L.
bajaboy1

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 03:06 PM

Crossing north at Tecate is my preference. But last February crossed and it was a 2 1/2 hour wait. A month before that, it was 15 minutes. A few days ago I crossed in Tijuana and it was about 5 minutes. Only 1 car ahead of us. Haven't crossed there in many years and finding the right lanes for regular crossing was extremely confusing. I still prefer to cross at Tecate. Nice easy drive from Ensenada also.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 04:39 PM
suggestion for Julie

Julie, I don't know what you are driving, or what your comfort level is, but you should check out Mex 5 down the east side through San Felipe before it gets like the west coast!
There are some very useful threads posted about road conditions (look for TW's highway 5 to 1). I would post the link but this newbie isn't that clever.
The unpaved portion is far less than shown on maps, trust the info you find here. Last winter, I found the unpaved section of highway 5 far more to my liking than the detours and repairs being done to highway 1.
Mex 3 to San Felipe is a nice drive, but long. US 8 to Calexico and south on Mex 5 is the easiest access. I don't know what Mex 2 is like, so That is the way I am headed this year.
Buen viaje! G.L.
CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 05:04 PM

Re avoiding the toll road at Tecata - thanks for the tip!

Re Otay Mesa - That's the suggestion of Discover Baja....

To G.L. - I appreciate the suggestion re San Felipe; will discuss with my husband. The concern would be that once we get to Gonzaga Bay (because that's where the road leads?), the road from Gonzaga east to 1 can be pretty rough (esp. since the hurricane), and we are pulling an ultra-light 17' trailer. Our Toyota Tacoma 4x4 can take all kinds of roads, but the trailer is our limitation. It's not built for too much shaking. (As it is, when we hit the road, we have to take out all the drawers and put them on the floor, otherwise they tear apart the cabinetry since inevitably there are some rough points, even when we try bungy cords. The soldiers love it at the Army checkpoints when they open the trailer door and look inside - it takes a really agile person to negotiate all the obstacles when doing an inspection.)

Julie
CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 07:42 PM

I just looked at Google Earth, and checked out some more of the "road conditions" threads, so I understand AK's discussion better ("Mex 3 to San Felipe is a nice drive, but long. US 8 to Calexico and south on Mex 5 is the easiest access. I don't know what Mex 2 is like").

Someday want to visit Gonzaga Bay, either when we have a more solid trailer, or when the road is smoother. This trip, think we'll need to stick to a route without quite as many guaranteed bumps. Who knows, tho, given Hurricane Odile, our little trailer may get shaken down to the nubs regardless.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 05:48 PM

Hwy 3 from Tecate to Ensenada is in very good condition, was on it a week ago.

Would not recommend pulling an RV trailer south of Gonzaga Bay to hwy 1 unless it is a beat up piece of crap and you don't care about it.
spikemd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2014 at 09:38 AM

Mex 5 is paved all the way to Gonzaga Bay now. When I drove it last year, they were almost there but I have seen pics of pavement to the gas station this year. Dirt thru Coco's corner to Mex1 that could wreak havoc on a nice trailer. Mex 5 is a joy to drive, little traffic, wide road, most sections actually have a shoulder and incredible views of the Sea of Cortez.

Once it connects to Mex1, it will be overrun with commercial traffic and trucks. Drive it soon!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.