BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Going back after 12 years-Best ways to avoid crime.
travelinman

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 07:01 PM
Going back after 12 years-Best ways to avoid crime.

I realize that this is either a boring topic or will cause some negative response. Who wants to talk about crime in Baja or Mexico in Mexico.
I have loved our trips to few trips Baja, but my wife is naturally concerned about the violence in Mexico.

We have always traveled by Motorhome. Adding a Samurai 4x4 with car top 13' gregor 15hp.

We liked San Lucas, Bahia de Los Angeles, El Coyote (Camp Renee).

I would like help in planning a smart safe trip in a positive way:

Is anyone using special preparation, convoys, routes that can relief some of the fears of current travel in Mexico?

Are there any areas of concern?

What has changed in the last ten years in crime to visitors?

Thanks for the help! I would like to go again....
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 07:11 PM

1. People do caravan. Most do not. Don't worry about it. I bring my kids there all the time.

2. No areas of concern that I know of, unless you're talking about certain towns where the cops may pull you over to get a "tip". Was that Constitucion guys?

3. Crime to visitors? Lock your valuables. Don't leave your passport in the car. Be smart.

This is not Sinaloa or Michoacan. People traverse the peninsula every day with no problems. Racing crews from around the world fly their people in 3 times a year and no one gets beheaded. The fear level needs reduction. Baja is a chill place from what I experience. Compton, at night, is very more scary.

Go and have a great time. No different then driving around the good ol' USA! Watch out for cops!!

[Edited on 9-27-2014 by Ateo]

travelinman

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 07:23 PM

Some very good general suggestions. Thank you for taking the time.

I do not visit or camp in Compton, so my level of comparisons are Sierra, CA coast, state parks.

I have had great and some tougher crime experiences on Baja in the far past, so I expect mordido and small things. I am careful with stories of bizarre crime and stories of no crime.

So you are saying that all the crime stories are BS and things are fine in recent years? No problems with visitors, campers, etc. That is good to hear...

Any areas you would recommend to get back in to the spirit of Baja?

Thanks for your help!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 07:46 PM

Just conduct yourself, and your life as you would anywhere else. Don't allow yourself to be vulnerable to predators. Be vigilant and don't drive at night.
That, and a half dozen Claymores around the camp spot will guarantee an uneventful vacation.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 07:55 PM

Welcome home . . . no worries. Don't drive at night unless you have good driving

lights . . . watch those uphill left hand turns & be aware of your stuff through the

checkpoints. Then, return often.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 07:58 PM

I'm 70 mi. no. of TJ, started going down in the '70's surfing,
the reports of violence, mostly border related were true. Friends of mine stopped going so. 5 yrs or so ago, they recently
have began going back. To me the underlying fact was the Cartel
violence, while impossible to ignore, was never aimed at Joe Gringo Tourist, they were just never a target. Baja risks remained
the same for me, a small risk of petty theft, and the necessity
of driving . If there was a large risk, this board would be covered
with incidents, I can't remember more than a very few, some being totally
avoidable.. I've seen no rise in violence against common Tourists. I think it is fairly accepted here that camping alone, especially in a spot where one can be seen, MAY not
be prudent
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 08:07 PM
baja safe

Hola,I get asked a lot about how unsafe it is down in mex.. my dog is a famous Baja dog and folks talk to me by the 100's all day long !!.......I look them in the Eye and state..."Ya, Its dangerous down there,,I have to drive thru Hell.A. (LA) And San dieago to get There!! get your kids and family and go about a month from now !! and bring stuff down with ya !! for the local folks !! Just had a kickass storm,,don't ya know!!~
travelinman

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 08:14 PM

I appreciate all the good ideas and sound advice: Driving, camping alone, petty theft. .All good stuff.
Used up my claymores last time, but I have brought things I should not in the past...I am smarter now, I hope.
What is the going suggested "tip" at the check point if they start to go through your stuff, I have never done that, but they do try to take things.

Thanks, again
travelinman

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 08:26 PM

Thanks for mentioning the storm. I am not aware of the entire damages. If needed we can bring things from the states. If you have any distribution ideas, areas, agencies or items, let me know.

We are going down Christmas or winter.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 08:27 PM
Travlin man

once your down past the "CURVE",,,Its rather safe.. be VERY careful north of that and san Quintin is a bad area,, due to im's from the mainland...over all its a very safe,,fun place !!

[Edited on 9-27-2014 by captkw]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 09:21 PM

Where to start? First, this isn't cartel country, and you will be as safe as traveling in the US if you just be aware of your surroundings and use normal precautions.
I have never 'tipped' at an inspection point, or ever lost anything (except some fruit at an agricultural checkpoint)
If stopped by local police show your license if asked, but don't turn it over to them so they can extort a bribe (mordida). With the Federal police, do what they say. I paid a fine to get my license back once in La Paz because I was driving a car with no top on it, my dog in the car, and no idea where to get it back.
The next season, same thing, same area, but I held on to my license, said "no mordida" and told them to give me a ticket or let me go. Which they did, because I don't think they wanted me going down to talk to their supervisors. I now carry a license I 'lost' and the replacement is safe with my passport just in case it happens again.
I got more, but not now, G.L.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 09:30 PM

Crime happens every day in the USA... A Baja vacation is far safer!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 11:12 PM

If it isn't locked up, you don't care about it. Be polite but not self-effacing to the police if pulled over. Don't drive at night south of Ensenada (from Ensenada to the border is perfectly fine, even to Tecate, at night). And above all, don't be a p*nd*jo.

You'll find it's changed significantly in 12 years, crime-wise.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2014 at 11:47 PM

Chances to get asked for mordida at the border are almost non-existent. Federal officers are better paid and not as corrupted as local cops. Happens maybe once in a few years and then Nomads are talking about it for another year :)

When they "go through your stuff" at the border, this is what customs officers are supposed to do. And there is a perfectly legal tax 15%, but they don't - usually - tax the items that are obviously for camping and not in commercial quantity.

Chances to get stopped by local cops are low too, especially if you go through San Ysidro and toll highway. You won't get stopped on the highway unless for some serious reason. On the streets of Ensenada - it's only few miles, you'll pass it in a matter of minutes, unless during rush hour. If you "habla", or if they speak English, ask for a ticket. Should be a few times cheaper than mordida. Cops are getting more active during Christmas season, to the point that they come to the camp asking for "donations", even have some list where they write it down.

On 2 camps of San Lucas Cove near Sta Rosalia security is non-existent, things do get stolen. The 3rd camp, Playa Dos Amigos South of military base, looks quite secure, but you probably won't enjoy it. Permanent residents took all the spaces and some built casitas, there isn't much room for big motorhome, definitely no good spaces. Besides, it gets loud at times, with people running big old generators out in the open - landlord doesn't care.

Bahia de Los Angeles was destroyed by hurricane on September 17. Some camps are almost intact, some badly damaged. You probably will find a space there with a nice view, but consider that 40 or 60 families have lost their homes, I mean - only ruins left. Everybody else got some damage too, and now are busy with repairs. It will take more than a year for this place to recover.

[Edited on 9-27-2014 by Alm]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
.. my dog is a famous Baja dog and folks talk to me by the 100's all day long !!...~

I've NEVER heard of your dog...how is it "famous"

and 100's a day? I thought you repaired boat motors

I disagree about bringing stuff from the usa to mexico...buy it here...
Costco...walmart....home depot in tj and Ensenada...buy it here in mexico
support this economy

don't smuggle it in at the border to "help" the "poor" here
that's just WRONG

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 06:43 AM

Not mentioned yet; buy pesos at the border or asap on the way south. One of the 'banditos' of Baja are the gas station attendants; if you fumble with US dollars, they can pinch you with the exchange rate or giving change. Get pesos, pay in pesos, no brainer on what things cost. And, don't be surprised if the rig takes more gas than the tank holds. Not a constant, but does happen here and there.

Also, some military checkpoints. They won't check you going south, but coming back home, some of the soldados can be tempted by easy pickings in your rig; binoculars, small cameras, watches, etc... stay with them and be polite when they 'inspect' your rig (most just want to see how fancy you live), but don't think the Army is honest. It is, but a few bad apples get in the box.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Chances to get asked for mordida at the border are almost non-existent.

If only that were true. I have a buddy who transports a lot of small, pick with trailer size loads, north to south, mostly through Tecate. He regularly pays the inspectors in the cab of the truck.
I realize the new crossing, El Chaparral, is making efforts to refine the procedure, but they have a long way to go.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Not mentioned yet; buy pesos at the border or asap on the way south.

Good point. you can eliminate that stop by going to Costco[and, who doesn't go to Costco?] on Broadway in Chula Vista where they have a cambio inside the store, with an exchange rate competitive with any others. Don't waste time and effort looking for the very best tipo de cambio....just buy the gawwwdammm things and get on with your trip.

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 07:34 AM

surprised that some of you would consider camping/vacationing in Compton. Lots of excellent campgrounds/wilderness areas in the USA.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 07:44 AM

Compton is up 'n coming on the Conde Nast list of destinations. :o

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.