BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Going back after 12 years-Best ways to avoid crime.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 08:07 AM

dennis...i don't shop at Costco...why pay a store so you can spend money there...its just backwards to me...I know I would save sometimes too...but the "breakeven" point isn't worth it

new sams club opening in Ensenada soon too

as for gas...bajabuddha...if you are shorted gas...prove it...urban myth

last week I got 12.65 at the border...the gas station was giving 12.8 for gas paid with dollars
everyone can do math these days...they have cell phones

I do agree about getting pesos though...mexico pesos...usa dollars...Canada LOONIES!!! : )

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
travelinman

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 08:12 AM

So it sounds like folks have stopped RVing in Compton! I laughed pretty hard at the thought, this morning. Thanks for the fun stuff, too.

I live in the Sierra Nevada and the only petty crime are squirrels stealing nuts and the occasion dead body from LA criminals.

Sounds like the usual Mexico petty crime. You have not heard of any others problems with Americans visiting? I was wondering if the cartel behavior was giving license for petty criminals to be bolder?

Any suggested areas that were not damaged by the storms, as much?
bigmike58
Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 08:23 AM

LOL Bob, you pay for a Sam's club membership just like Costco- you can easily recoup the cost in one visit... And Budda is right about the Pemex attendants screwing you when paying in dollars (not at Baja cactus) go see the girls at the last station on the right going north thru Visciano and pay with dollars!

Yes Bob this happened last week after I dropped off the supplies in Mulege and was heading home... As far as the pumps dispensing short-I call B.S. on that rumor also...never have see it in 4 years and I go thru a chitload of fuel.

Shouldn\'t one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check or Sec.8 housing?
........... I had to pass one to earn it for them!

\"I\'ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?\"
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 08:34 AM

If you're on the road and for some reason can't make it to your destination for the night, keep in mind that PEMEX stations allow RVers to spend the night. I've done it several times and the stations I've stayed at were lit up and had a security guard. Let them know you're spending the night and maybe buy the guard something to drink or eat, or give him a tip.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 08:42 AM

the days of bodies hanging from bridges is over, for now! baja is as safe as anywhere. just go, it's too easy......

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by travelinman
I appreciate all the good ideas and sound advice: Driving, camping alone, petty theft. .All good stuff.
Used up my claymores last time, but I have brought things I should not in the past...I am smarter now, I hope.
What is the going suggested "tip" at the check point if they start to go through your stuff, I have never done that, but they do try to take things.

"Do not" Tip Military They just want to look and make sure you are not carrying guns or drugs Let them look its their Job. They don't want a tip and they don't expect one.

Thanks, again
Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Chances to get asked for mordida at the border are almost non-existent.

If only that were true. I have a buddy who transports a lot of small, pick with trailer size loads, north to south, mostly through Tecate. He regularly pays the inspectors in the cab of the truck.
I realize the new crossing, El Chaparral, is making efforts to refine the procedure, but they have a long way to go.

I think this is a case where your 'buddy' is making out since he is offering to pay a bribe (lesser amount) over the 15% tax.

Make it a Great Day!!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Genecag
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I have a buddy who transports a lot of small, pick with trailer size loads, north to south, mostly through Tecate. He regularly pays the inspectors in the cab of the truck.
I realize the new crossing, El Chaparral, is making efforts to refine the procedure, but they have a long way to go.

I think this is a case where your 'buddy' is making out since he is offering to pay a bribe (lesser amount) over the 15% tax.

Agreed. I meant that you won't have to pay tax or mordida with a usual RV items. "Transporting" multiple items back and forth in a pickup is a different story, you don't look like a tourist then, so they behave accordingly.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Sounds like the usual Mexico petty crime. You have not heard of any others problems with Americans visiting? I was wondering if the cartel behavior was giving license for petty criminals to be bolder?

You still don't believe, do you? No, there are NO problems in Baja with tourists visiting. At least, South of Ensenada. Drug cartels are doing their trafficikng quietly, trying not to draw attention. Consumers market for drugs in Baja is marginal, so it's mostly trafficking to the North - if they are using this Baja route at all.

Small criminals are getting bolder in post-disaster areas, together with "amateurs" from regular locals. Looting becomes common in big cities then. Usual thing, "free for all".

From what I heard, areas not damaged by hurricane are mostly those to the North - Guerrero Negro to San Felipe. Excluding Bahia de LA - this is where the hurricane crossed from Pacific to Cortez and brought tons of rain.

Loreto reportedly got fair amount of rain, some flooding of waterfront, and was cleaned up in a matter of days. Don't know about bugs situation now - it seems to be getting worse every year, with mosquitoes spreading more tropical diseases , and their population spikes up after floods. Though Christmas is the coldest time of the year, not a bugs season.

[Edited on 9-27-2014 by Alm]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Genecag

I didn't say he "offered" anything...only that he had to pay under the table. If you want to be privy to the details, you'll have to be there.
Anyway...it hasn't been 15 % for some time now.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigmike58
... go see the girls at the last station on the right going north thru Visciano and pay with dollars!

damn...I was at THAT station on sunday...I should have paid in dollars...just to check...

I got 90 pesos green gas...bathroom break
I got 90 pesos in santa rosalia right before that...another bathroom break
....women on board
I don't think they shorted me gas

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 11:29 AM

They got a WallyWorld in Compton? Cheapest campgrounds in the U.S., with all-night munchies, beer, pastries, beer, snacks n' chips, beer, rotisserie chicken, beer, great people-watching, beer, flip-flops, beer, veggies, pre-made salads and.... beer. Oh, and cookies.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
I realize that this is either a boring topic or will cause some negative response. Who wants to talk about crime in Baja or Mexico in Mexico.
I have loved our trips to few trips Baja, but my wife is naturally concerned about the violence in Mexico.

We have always traveled by Motorhome. Adding a Samurai 4x4 with car top 13' gregor 15hp.

We liked San Lucas, Bahia de Los Angeles, El Coyote (Camp Renee).

I would like help in planning a smart safe trip in a positive way:

Is anyone using special preparation, convoys, routes that can relief some of the fears of current travel in Mexico?

Are there any areas of concern?

What has changed in the last ten years in crime to visitors?

Thanks for the help! I would like to go again....

Don't trust the police!

http://www.afntijuana.info/seguridad/32103_involucran_a_poli...

[Edited on 9-27-2014 by mtgoat666]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
I realize that this is either a boring topic or will cause some negative response. Who wants to talk about crime in Baja or Mexico in Mexico.
I have loved our trips to few trips Baja, but my wife is naturally concerned about the violence in Mexico.

We have always traveled by Motorhome. Adding a Samurai 4x4 with car top 13' gregor 15hp.

We liked San Lucas, Bahia de Los Angeles, El Coyote (Camp Renee).

I would like help in planning a smart safe trip in a positive way:

Is anyone using special preparation, convoys, routes that can relief some of the fears of current travel in Mexico?

Are there any areas of concern?

What has changed in the last ten years in crime to visitors?

Thanks for the help! I would like to go again....

Don't trust the police!

http://www.afntijuana.info/seguridad/32103_involucran_a_poli...

[Edited on 9-27-2014 by mtgoat666]

"former agent of expert services" sounds like a branch of BajaBlowhards! :lol::lol:
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 12:16 PM

Welcome back to the Baja!

In twelve years the roads have become smoother and faster but not widened. Careful with trucks and buses as they'll blow you off the road.

It's way safer there than in Los Angeles. Enjoy your roadtrip and keep us posted!

Best to all from Dogtown / Venice Beach, ranking right up there with Compton!

travelinman

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 01:31 PM

What a great rig! I miss by old bus.
Took a 63' Volvo station wagon and towed a trailer and small inflatable in the late mid nineties. Made catching a spiking fish really fun. Did not want to hear that pssssst sound in the water!
Took a 72 Datsun Camper in in the late 90s with 1600 engine. Slow and 25 mpg. great old camper.
Took a 1984 Tioga with a 13' Gregor in 2003. Still have same old boat.
Planning to take a 1990 Jayco with a 84 Sumurai 4x4 and the 13' Gregor or Kayaks on top, this winter.

I have had strange adventures with border, agricultural inspectors, petty robbers, police and even stopped by serious guys in hunting clothes with machine guns on the highway. They had a national pulled over and it did not look good. They motioned me on and I did not stop to ask why. I was so proud of that 63 Volvo pulling a loaded trailer at 85 for the next few miles. Glad a souped it up a bit with a Weber before I left!
Not to mention the local families who learned that they forcefully asked for loot on October 31st. Day of the Dead turned American opportunity in a Baja campground, for a convoy of three pick-ups with 12-15 teenagers, not in costume. Trick or Treat for food and necessities, not Candy. I brought so much that I needed to lighten my load; it was fun. Good memories.

So Yes, I was a little concerned before I started this string. A lot has happened in Mexico over the last few years, and I have no been up on the changes, if any. I appreciate all the good points you all have been making about crime perception vs. reality. I certainly am not here to doubt any option; I appreciate them all.

This has been a helpful and respectful string. It does not always happen this way, so thanks again.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 01:33 PM

Is there a beach in Compton?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 01:34 PM

no D, only Biaches......

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 01:40 PM

one night back in the mid 80's me and Roger were driving his restored '63 VW van to El Capitan State Park (guess why?) and about 2am we get a flat on the freeway. AAA sent a tow truck and the only open tire shop around was in Watts!?!?!?!???? "OKAY, Let's do it!"

an hour later we were heading east trying to not look at the 'bangers who'd pullup alongside at each red light. two 20 year old's with boards on a VW van trying to not stick out at 3am in Watts....... jeeez!

we survived with our virtue intact and even rode some good waves!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2014 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Quote:

You still don't believe, do you? No, there are NO problems in Baja with tourists visiting. At least, South of Ensenada. Drug cartels are doing their trafficikng quietly, trying not to draw attention. Consumers market for drugs in Baja is marginal, so it's mostly trafficking to the North - if they are using this Baja route at all.

[Edited on 9-27-2014 by Alm]

drugs are rampant and a real problem in Baja Sur. Way more than marginal, its am epidemic. Especially crack and meth. Most people that live there know that.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.