BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Home Depot, Ensenada...laminate countertop?
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 07:12 AM
Home Depot, Ensenada...laminate countertop?

anyone know if HD carries the pre made, pre cut laminate countertops? to be more specific, if anyone is in there, 8 foot lengths? and cost? okay, I was just dreaming on the latter two questions.
am trying to avoid tying it on top and heading down from San Diego, no truck...

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit
anyone know if HD carries the pre made, pre cut laminate countertops? to be more specific, if anyone is in there, 8 foot lengths? and cost? okay, I was just dreaming on the latter two questions.

You can now check Home Depot MX items and prices on-line. Just like US Home Depots.

Select your store location and start browsing.

Ensenada Home Depot -

Laminate Countertops

And yes, they have 8 ft lengths (2.4m)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR

You can now check Home Depot MX items and prices on-line. Just like US Home Depots.

That is hysterical. The site won't tell you what they run out of. For instance, they sell nail guns, but no nails to fit the gun.
The only resemblance to dependability between US and Mex Home Depot, starts and ends with the sign on the front of the building.

Thanks for the laugh anyway.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 10:53 AM

I know for a fact that Home Depot Rosarito does not carry in stock cut prefab laminate countertop materials, I think they come in 4X8 sizes in the US Home Depot. So I went to the El Cajon Home Depot and they told me they don't carry them in stock. The only Home Depot in the San Diego area that does is the Fairmount Store and their stock is very limited. The sheet runs about $60 USD with tax. I don't know about ordering on line in Mexico because Rosarito Home Depot told me they don't carry them and didn't offer an alternative with online ordering. Neither did the El Cajon store till I got the service girl off of Facebook to ask her who her manager was and only then did he tell me there was an online order option.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I know for a fact that Home Depot Rosarito does not carry in stock cut prefab laminate countertop materials, I think they come in 4X8 sizes in the US Home Depot.

Counter tops come premade in different widths, lengths and patterns. You just cut to fit.
HD Ensenada may in fact have them, but don't be surprised if they don't, or they're out of the width you want.
These things will also warp quickly if left outside in the hot sun, so look at them closely.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit

I've seen them in the Rosarito store. "Normal" kitchen counter width, both rectangular and cut at a 45 degree angle at one end. Don't know about price. I would guess a bit more expensive than the US based upon what I have paid there for other building materials.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 11:34 AM

rhintransit ...I hope this is not for your kitchen
talk about instantly "dating" it

new products are molded or marbel

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH

I've seen them in the Rosarito store. "Normal" kitchen counter width, both rectangular and cut at a 45 degree angle at one end.

That 45° cut would scare me if they're calling it new.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

I've seen them in the Rosarito store. "Normal" kitchen counter width, both rectangular and cut at a 45 degree angle at one end.

That 45° cut would scare me if they're calling it new.

I see it at all the Home Depot stores, US and Mex. It's for making "L" shaped counter tops. And I've looked closely because I was recently considering doing a kitchen remodel myself. I finally decided to hire some pros and I'm glad I did. I'm an amateur carpenter and everything I do looks amateurish.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 01:48 PM

thanks all (and, no it's not for my house)
so the answer is, it's either there, or not.
guess it's gonna be the strap it on top and hope for the best route.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 01:49 PM

Quote:

I see it at all the Home Depot stores, US and Mex. It's for making "L" shaped counter tops.

Yep.....yo comprendo the reason for the cut, but a pre-cut would limit that particular top to one size cabinet only.

We've always cut our own to fit.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-30-2014 at 06:48 PM

Well my carpenter asked me today if I had the laminate to put on top of the new kitchen countertop yet and I told him I was having trouble finding it and had to go back to the US. he told me he had been down at Ensenada Home Depot and they have it down there so I will be headed there bright and early tomorrow morning to pick it up. I need 63 inches so I guess 5 1/2 feet will do the trick. Will report back on cost though it should run me about $60 for the piece.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2014 at 07:31 PM

You mean your carpenter is going to laminate the top himself? That's crazy. I used to work in a cabinet shop, and we laminated, but it required large, strong presses. Not just contact cement.
Counter tops are premade....ready to cut to length and go...all laminated.

Oh well...whatever.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 9-30-2014 at 07:39 PM

Well who does these things in Baja Dennis? Any suggestions? Better than having a bare wood countertop, doncha think? Of course I could go the granite route!
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
You mean your carpenter is going to laminate the top himself? That's crazy. I used to work in a cabinet shop, and we laminated, but it required large, strong presses. Not just contact cement.
Counter tops are premade....ready to cut to length and go...all laminated.

Oh well...whatever.

[Edited on 10-1-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-1-2014 at 05:53 AM

the new stuff is a plastic...hard with a built in sink
very clean looking

home depot has it...go to usa and look

$1800 is the min price installed in usa

laminated countertops are OUT!!!
the kitchen is a very important part of your house
don't "date it" by "cheaping out"

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2014 at 06:09 AM

Plastic laminate counter tops, wither pre made or done by the cabinet maker, need to be a "balanced panel". This means both sides need to have laminate. Usually the back side uses a less expensive backer laminate of the same thickness as the top side. This is especially important in hot sunny climates where direct sunlight will be on part of the counter top. The 2 lumber yards in Loreto can order the plas lam for you, vertical or horiz. grade, but the lead time can be longer than expected, so if you have a deadline bring the plas lam with you or bring the pre made CT.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2014 at 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Well who does these things in Baja Dennis?

No one I'm aware of. Find a pre-made top and have the man cut it to fit the length. If he goes into a coma at that suggestion, replace him as well.

[Edited on 10-1-2014 by DENNIS]

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-1-2014 at 07:43 AM

OK Willyairstream, I am off to Ensenada and will see if the laminate is double sided as you mentioned. This is just to cover the bare wood countertop that the carpenter handmade, and will report back as soon as I purchase it.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2014 at 08:26 AM

the laminate is not double sided. The substrate , plywood, pressboard or whatever, needs laminate on each side. One side will be the decorative plas lam, other side will be a brown laminate, a backer laminate.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 06:07 AM

Well I went to Ensenada Home Depot and I guess the carpenter was talking about the 66 inch by 8 foot prefab counter top which weighed a lot and would no way fit in my car. I assumed he wanted a sheet but I guess he wanted me to buy the whole countertop with a molded edge. There were about 4 or 5 patterns. Everyone and their brother are on Facebook both in the US and Ensenada and so initially when I asked the supposedly customer service guy he said they didn't have it, and I asked him again and he waved his hand over in a direction which took me through a maze and I finally found them. They run 1900 pesos roughly $160 USD but the problem is getting it to my place so I will just tell the carpenter to pick it up for me and pay him for it in advance. DENNIS was right it was not the thin piece of laminate I had envisioned and it was not laminated on both sides, it was a countertop covering with pressed board about 2 inches thick, no angle cut, and a coating on the bottom.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.