Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Dengue Fever
BajaB

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 05:44 PM
Dengue Fever

My wife and I are long term residents of Baja and live near Santa Rosalia. Our neighbors have told us that there ar many cases of dengue fever in Santa Rosalia and throughout Baja Sur. Can't go out in the evening because of the swarms of mosquitos.
Just wondering why there's no mention of this outbreak and think people need to be aware before traveling down this month.
BajaBoomerBabe
Junior Nomad

Mood: Getting excited about driving down Baja!

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 05:47 PM

I heard there was a risk of dengue fever this year again due to the heavy mosquito infestation from the rains. Everyone is saying the mosquitos are extremely bad and to bring strong repellant. In Los Cabos area in general.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 10:18 PM

A very good friend who is a resident of San Lucitas just south of Sta. R. had Dengue 2 summers ago. It's there, rain or shine, but mostly rain. What you can do in your immediate vicinity is to remove any standing water, no matter how small the amount. Little bowls, puddles, nooks and crannies where standing water can last for 1-2 weeks will harbor eggs. First line, bug spray. 2nd, netting. 3rd, puddle eradication. 4th, fervent prayer, tequila, or my fave, stirred martinis at 5 pm.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 10:26 PM

A friend fishing in Alaska this summer claims he warded off Mosquitos by putting Bounce laundry tissues in his pockets. I personally have not tried it so no confirmation of how effective Bounce is.
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 10:26 PM

Someone I know in La Paz just got it. Nasty stuff.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 07:17 AM

Our worker's sister who is in school in La Paz has it and has to come home to recover...be aware...be safe.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 07:56 AM

The mosquitoes that carry dengue (Aedes aegypti) are generally mosquitoes that are out during the early morning and early evening. I got dengue in Peru. Not so much fun. And the above advice is very important : Get rid of ANY standing water. Water in tires, buckets, bowls, etal. There is no vaccine, nor treatment once you have it. The joint pain can be intense, along with fever and horrible headache. Use only tylenol to lower fever, no aleve or ibuprofin. There is another strain of dengue , hemorrhagic, which can be life threatening.

Dengue could be a REAL problem in the Baja this year with all the rain. be proactive.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by azucena
Get rid of ANY standing water. Water in tires, buckets, bowls, etal.

Better yet, get rid of *uncontrolled* standing water and set controlled water traps to actually diminish the population.

Using controlled water traps, how often do you empty the water with the larvae and refresh the water??

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 07:47 AM

Heard from friends in La Ribera that there are many people with dengue right now. Bug repellent is needed.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 08:02 AM

I was actually gearing up to write a report for nomads on this precise issue. Last week a teacher was out out for a whole week due to dengue. His baby daughter also got ill. A definite first in La Bocana, as far as I know. The teacher told me that there are so many cases in Punta Abreojos that the older sick folk (his mother in law) were being sent to the La Bocana Health Clinic to recuperate.

I heard that the Rotary Club has organized planes to spray some parts ofMexico.

Being from Brazil, dengue has been an issue there for over 40 years. I have never had it but everyone says you feel like a truck ran over you.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 08:28 AM

I was wondering if ALL mosquitoes can carry the virus from a person who already has the fever. Sketchy info on that but I think I can infer that there are just 3: Aegypty, Albopictus and Aficanus.

Several years back after a severe rain event in the La Paz area I heard they asked all families to help in the epidemic by taking home marginal patients with other conditions as they needed 1200 more beds than were available there (mostly Hemorrhagic victims).

On that occasion locals wiped out the Guaco vines along the roads (to make tea for the victims). This year I think the rage might be papaya leaf tea which enhances the growth of platelets and other blood cells. Sure gonna make some for myself and soon.

[Edited on 10-10-2014 by Osprey]
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 12:03 PM

Regarding standing water as breeding grounds...

The vent pipe in your septic tank is a ready-made entrance/exit for the buggers. A simple cover of a piece of old window screen secured with a zip tie do the trick.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 12:06 PM

I believe in eating at least 4 ripe bananas a day. After a few days you secrete a lot of banana oil out on your skin, and when they come down to bite they slip and break their little noses!
:lol: :bounce: :biggrin:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 02:20 PM

Osprey
See my above post. The nasty buggers are Aedes Aegypti.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 02:22 PM

No, the other two are carriers per WIKI. I was researching to see if SOME UNNAMED OTHER MOSQUITO CAN TAKE INFECTED BLOOD AND CARRY IT TO ANOTHER HUMAN.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 02:34 PM

Mosquitos inject an anti-coagulant into the bite victim first thing. Then the blood sucking begins. Dengue comes into the body with the anti-coagulant.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 03:33 PM

Marty, then that brings up another question. Does that mean one infected mosquito can implant the virus in many people and the blood it ingests (and may transfer) has nothing to do with process?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2014 at 03:54 PM

Osprey -Until now, I had never heard of another mosquito being a transmitter!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2014 at 04:10 PM

The GG magazine in Los Cabos reports 1100 cases of dengue in La Paz right now. Blanca just google up the disease and go deeper like I did and you can find out of lots of interesting facts.

[Edited on 10-11-2014 by Osprey]
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 08:54 PM
Dengue

Friend from town [Loreto], who works here in Tripui has gotten the bug..
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.