BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: JEEP GOES ALUMINUM, ADIOS TOLEDO... ??? Ken Cooke alert!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 04:47 PM
JEEP GOES ALUMINUM, ADIOS TOLEDO... ??? Ken Cooke alert!

The following is from: http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2014/10/02/je...

Next Jeep Wrangler could have aluminum body

The next generation Jeep Wrangler might have an aluminum body and be assembled somewhere other than Toledo, where its roots go back more than 70 years to the first Willys MB was made for the U.S. Army.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Sergio Marchionne also hinted at the Paris Motor Show that the iconic Wrangler also could be built on a unibody, rather than a body on frame, structure.

"If the solution is aluminum, then I think unfortunately that Toledo is the wrong place because it requires a complete re-configuring of the assets that would be cost-prohibitive," Marchionne said. "It would be so outrageously expensive that it would be impossible to work out of that facility."

News of the possible move was first reported by Automotive News.

The next Wrangler, due in 2017, would benefit from an aluminum body as Chrysler works to improve the fuel economy of all its vehicles. The U.S. government is requiring automakers to reach a fleet average of 56.5 miles per gallon by 2025.

"We need to downsize the engines ... and then increase the capabilities by putting turbos in," Marchionne said. "This requires a complete rethink of the architecture, and before we start committing capital to particular places we need to make sure that we don't spend an inordinate amount of money trying to get it done."

However, removing the Wrangler from Toledo would be a major blow for the city where the Jeep started in 1941, then owned by Willys-Overland.

The first Willys MB Jeeps were produced in 1941 for the U.S. military. The first civilian models were made in 1945. It is the oldest off-road vehicle ever made.

Chrysler makes both the Wrangler and the Jeep Cherokee at its Toledo Assembly Complex.

The Auburn Hills automaker has been working to wring more Wrangler production out of Toledo for several years as global sales climbed.

In 2012, for example, Chrysler built more than 200,000 Wranglers, which come with either two or four doors and hired 200 more workers.

As for a suitable location for the aluminum Wrangler, Chrysler plants in Mexico and Canada seem to be out of the question because Marchionne said he wants to preserve Wrangler's heritage as an American vehicle.

Plants in Sterling Heights and Belvidere, Ill., are able to build unibody cars and SUVs.

It's possible Toledo would produce another new vehicle, the full-size Jeep Wagoneer by 2018.

"I will never build a Wrangler outside of the U.S.," Marchionne Thursday. "The commitment to Toledo was certainly in terms of Jeep, and I think the fact that we brought the Cherokee to Toledo is huge. We're selling over 200,000 of these."

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Next Jeep Wrangler could have aluminum body

not a very original idea. land rovers had aluminum bodies starting back in the 1940s. I liked it in my old rover, scratched areas of bed and body panels did not rust.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 05:45 PM

Yes, my dad even owned a Land Rover, briefly in 1969... in Australia, where they pronounce it AL-YOU-MIN-EE-UM instead of Aluminum (they add an i as well). It was so under powered and gutless, he had to get rid of it. His friends recommended the 4 cylinder, so it was not like his Rambler V-8 powered Jeep he had before.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 05:49 PM

The "J" in Jeep still stands for junk. That fact hasn't changed in over half a century. Putting an aluminum body on a Jeep is like wrapping the garbage in mink.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
The "J" in Jeep still stands for junk. That fact hasn't changed in over half a century. Putting an aluminum body on a Jeep is like wrapping the garbage in mink.

My Toyota Land Cruiser is laughing out loud.

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 06:16 PM

Thumbs up. Love my 95 Wrangler. The interior and exterior finish are crap but mechanically (2.5 4cyl w/ 5 speed) it's been great .
I'd like to see them going to 4 cylinder turbo diesel.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 07:24 PM

Quote:

J ust
E mpty
E every
P ocket

(former Jeep owner here, too) :cool:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 02:01 PM

I think an aluminum body makes great sense - Some high-end builds source aluminum for weight savings and resistance to corrosion. An aluminum unibody will hopefully support internal roll cages, external tire carriers, Rotopax containers, and provide grounding for radio equipment like steel body panels and the current body on frame architecture does.

There also has been talk of ditching the straight axle 4 link suspension for an independent suspension which is lighter in weight, but not as durable. All I can say is, I love my 2003 Jeep junk! :yes:

LOOK AT ALL OF THIS JUNK LINED UP! lol

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 01:45 PM

You have that right, DK.

Most of the accessories at the off road show in Pomona, CA, were for Jeeps. Some expensive chit!

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

J ust
E mpty
E every
P ocket

(former Jeep owner here, too) :cool:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 04:41 PM

I think the drawback in using aluminum is that once it is bent you can't beat it back in shape and for an off road vehicle that could get expensive.

Well bondo could help.

[Edited on 10-20-2014 by TW]
treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 05:38 PM

They are building the Grand Wagoneer also to compete with high end SUV's
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 07:35 PM

Good idea if they do it. Jeep already has the best product in the segment. Sounds like they are looking forward like Ford is.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.