Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: New truck w/o plates?
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 07:36 AM
New truck w/o plates?

Just replaced my 2007 and am leaving in 5 days for Baja and of course, won't have plates or registration. Anything I should do or have other than the temp reg on the windshield?
Also, the truck is in my Corp's name and I've not done this before, anything I need from the corp?
Thanks
PS: I did remember to contact Lewis Y Lewis.
PPSS: By the way, the new electronic/computer stuff is just crazy. If they put a shower and porta-potty in it I would never have to leave.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 08:03 AM

What did you get? Nosey minds want to know:biggrin:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 08:15 AM

just have temp papers on windshield. if your insurance doesn't require a notarized letter from the corp i doubt it matters to anyone else.

T minus 11 days!

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 08:16 AM

So is your baby an American or Japanese???

I would take any papers you have...purchase order, insurance, loan doc, some corp doc showing your name attached...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 08:20 AM

Jim, there is no problems at all... I took my new Tacoma to Baja the same day I got it. This question has been asked before, and I posted photos of my truck on the beach near El Rosario with only the Toyota Carlsbad plaques where the plates go. Have fun... and don't forget to update your Mexican Auto Insurance policy with the new info!

New 2005 Tacoma, La Bocana Beach, El Rosario:

New 2010 Tacoma, Bahia Santa Maria:

[Edited on 10-5-2014 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 08:25 AM

I've had that problem...just drive to your local DMV...explain your situation to someone that will listen...

they issue a new plate immediately
pay a FEE
the DMV has plates in the office to issue...you may have to get by the clerk to the manager it is a govt office

when the old "new" plates arrive you throw them away

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
I've had that problem...just drive to your local DMV...explain your situation to someone that will listen...

they issue a new plate immediately
pay a FEE
the DMV has plates in the office to issue...you may have to get by the clerk to the manager it is a govt office

when the old "new" plates arrive you throw them away

Good idea. I wonder if the fine folks at triple A have that option.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 09:19 AM

Yeah, I took my Tundra down with no plates. Had no issues.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Yeah, I took my Tundra down with no plates. Had no issues.

no pictures?

On the way back they do check the VIN against your temp paperwork and the computer.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 10:51 AM

They did nothing different with me the times I crossed without a plate, and there were more than the two trips my pictures show... but maybe that has changed since 2010?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 02:27 PM

DO NOT GO WITHOUT PLATES! I took my new Tacoma down several months ago.

a) Stopped at my crossing south (Tecate), checked my windshield registration and no problem.
b) Stopped at a registration check set up on Highway 1, delayed while they checked with a supervisor. 20 minutes, no problem.
c) Federal police in Baja Sur did a u turn and pulled me over. Checked registration, no problem.
d) LA PAZ - PROBLEM! Pulled over by 4 police in a pickup. INFRACTION BS. Would not give my driver license back. Told me about my infraction, SUGGESTED my fine would be $100 US. I had showed them my windshield registration once, and was given it back and I placed it back in the windshield packet. Then 5 minutes later - infraction#2 the officer told me, no seat belt. I had removed it while 3 of them were at my side in order to reach the registration.

They finally after 20 or 30 minutes accepted $30 US, not the $100 they "requested". I was then given my drivers license back.

In my opinion, it is too much of a red flag to be without plates.

My first "donation", didn't let it ruin my day.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sd

They finally after 20 or 30 minutes accepted $30 US, not the $100 they "requested". I was then given my drivers license back.

Sorry you had to go through all that cultural interchange. Puro BS...fer sure.

That's the reason I make copy licenses...actually copy everything....Perm Res...passport card...military ID...everything.

Buy a laminator from Amazon....25 bucks and get creative.
Just to satisfy the counterfeiting notion, I write clearly, but discretely, COPIA on the front and back of the copy.

Hey...they want to keep my license.... good. It's theirs. I have fifty more just like it.

[Edited on 10-5-2014 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 04:28 PM

Well said Dennis, my trip planning was not good. I had only my real drivers license, only the one copy of temporary registration in my windshield, traveling alone and no one had a clue where I was. Your advise is exactly what I should have had.

Sad, if they had stopped me, shared some laughs and asked me to buy them lunch or beers I would have gladly done so. I moved on and continued with my fun. My brother flew down for some fishing, and I had him bring me my license plates for my drive home.

Hope your day is a great one!
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 04:45 PM

When I got the new Dodge, I just put on the old plates before the border and it just stopped all the problems. Sometimes it is better if they don't get a chance to ask all the questions. I did not drive through Ca. with the plates on though, cause that is not where the problem would originate and they know how to handle "no plates".

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 05:21 PM

sd , what happened to you was a La Paz BS shakedown and was not because having no plates broke any law, it didn't. I am surprised because the La Paz Nomads say nothing bad ever happens in Baja Sur (or used to?)! Sorry it happened!!

If you did not break any law, then don't reward them with any money! Call them on it, insist that you go to the station... and they will let you go to find easier prey.

Having a new truck (and the Toyota is #1 in Baja) is what got their attention... Get it good and dirty next time before getting to La Paz!

I am guessing that Santiago is heading for L.A. Bay and not out of the state of Baja (Norte), as I had done... with my last two new Tacomas. No border stop, no registration stop and no police stops... I am just lucky I guess???

Finally if you want, print this and apply it to your back and side windows... it is supposed ro be like garlic to a vampire (or is that to a werewolf?)! No I don't use it, but some like more protection:

sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 05:32 PM

i appreciate the sticker David. Yes, a shakedown in La Paz, on the major street heading south. They tired me out, 20-30 minute detainment for $30. La Paz is a shakedown town now, many have experienced what happened to me. Dennis has the info I should have followed, I didn't even have a extra copy of my temporary registration.

With 4 checks, I would never go without plates again, too much hassle.

Oh, and you travel with an Angel, so you have safety.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sd
i appreciate the sticker David. Yes, a shakedown in La Paz, on the major street heading south. They tired me out, 20-30 minute detainment for $30. La Paz is a shakedown town now, many have experienced what happened to me. Dennis has the info I should have followed, I didn't even have a extra copy of my temporary registration.

With 4 checks, I would never go without plates again, too much hassle.

Oh, and you travel with an Angel, so you have safety.

Yes indeed! Thank you... and I understand the pressure they put on you. I sure would report them to the tourism department in La Paz... Tourism is a major resource for the area.

Hope it never happens to you again!

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-6-2014 at 03:49 PM

We were driving through Mexicali with our new truck with the paper plates towing this trailer with this truck on it and got pulled over by a motorcycle cop for not having "real plates". Took about 5 minutes on the side of the road to talk my way out of that one... My wife was pretty upset about the whole thing as we had not been pulled over for anything in a very long time so getting pulled over for not having plates can happen, just luck of the draw...

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-6-2014 at 03:56 PM

next time someone is pulled over for something so stupid, why don't you ask the turd with a straight face, "I thought you had a job to do? Does your job include making up facts to suit you and stealing money from tourists? I'd love to verify this with the Juez, senior!"

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-6-2014 at 04:10 PM

Agreed Woody,

It gets old, I've been traveling Baja since high school and had to pay a few times but for very minor trumped up offenses.

So the Motorcycle cop takes me to the back of the Toyota on the trailer and points out what a real "placa" looks like. Had to have a little chuckle as he pointed to the "tourist plate ALASKA". (This truck has been in Baja for 20 years now and is on a green sticker ie: California Off Highway registration)

We were outa there in 5 minutes but still it never feels good getting pulled over

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.