BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Boat Recommendations? Thanks - found one!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 12:13 PM

I have launch wheels on the stern of the boat, I usually launch the boat with a quad or my side by side. With the wheels down the motor can also be in the down position without hitting the ground. Mine has the tall transom, I wouldn't get one with the short (15") transom. I can handle it myself but it took a while to figure it out, it's better if you have help.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 02:47 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Sounds like the consensus is a 14' aluminum boat with 20" transom, and launch wheels.

Asuncion doesn't have a ramp per se but the past couple years I've been able to drive right up to the water's edge to dump kayaks. I can't imagine it to be that much more difficult with a trailer.

La Ribera has a great ramp at the marina. There is also a decent beach for launching. The marina ramp is $20 per use, so I think I'll try the beach first.

I haven't done any beach launching with powered boats before but I do have plenty of experience launching and retrieving a driftboat from rivers around the NW. Ramp? We don't need no steenking ramp!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISRVScQvwSw#t=101
(not me, but I've launched here plenty)
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 03:05 PM

A couple local options:

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/boa/4678059086.html
Klamaths have a great reputation around here. Not sure how I feel about older Merc 2-stroke or the stereo system :).

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/4704973120.html
Gregor Baja Special with even older Merc 2-stroke. Would probably want to repower this.

http://roseburg.craigslist.org/boa/4678012424.html
http://salem.craigslist.org/boa/4705773257.html
Cheap old Gregors. Could drop a nice 15 or 20hp 4-stroke on here and still be way under budget.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/4687911566.html
Hmm. Certainly turn-key but perhaps a bit overbuilt and awkward for beach launch.

http://bend.craigslist.org/boa/4650496168.html
Would need to put a bigger motor on here.

http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/boa/4671181317.html
Decent-looking little setup.
ChicaSierra

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 03:47 PM

For years, we used a neighbors borrowed 14' aluminum with 5 hp 4 stroke Nissan and launch with the quad, to do the same kind of fishing you are interested in. But, this year, we decided we wanted to explore more of Baja, so we just got an inflatable 15' Saturn Kaboat (Alaska series) and will use the 5hp (I think the Kaboat takes up to a 15 or maybe even 20hp.). We took out the Kaboat to test on flat water then windy chop alpine lake and it was AWESOME! It was the 2 of us with 2 dogs, no gear and it had no problem planning, even in the chop. The thing turns on a dime, so the dog better be paying attention or in the brink, she goes. We will be taking it down to Gonzaga, Asunscion, and wherever else we can manage with the current road conditions and our little Aerotow trailer with the boat inside and surfboards on top! Here is a youtube demo video if you want to check it out: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_nbl9tXjqq4 Hopefully, we will have our own videos after the upcoming 6 wk Baja adventure!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 11:55 PM
hey kids !!

take a ride on a proper set up Livingston boat !! It will change your life !! only boat I know that loves wind and waves !! and fishes GREAT !!! I would have say at least 90percent something are set up wrong !! just the way it is !!! stable,soft riding,,dry in the snot,safe.. easy beach launch and retrieve in waves and wind...and get 50 percent better fuel consumption than a mono...beer cans are a JOKE !!!
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 07:06 PM

Capt - how would you set one up for beach launch? Transom wheels as with the tin boats?

There are a couple of 14' Livingstons here locally which look decent for the price. I do like the wide/stable idea and have had experience fixing fiberglass boats so that's another plus.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 07:53 PM

Tandem kayak is the ticket.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 09:45 PM

there is a launch ramp in Asuncion where all the Coop pangas launch it may not be concrete but I launched my 14 aluminum boat there 2 weeks ago using my Quad no problem. there are a few other spots there to launch a boat from all good spots if you have 4x4 I launched my boat with my van too not 4 wheel drive.
jakethedog
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 06:36 AM

I have a 12' Livingston that I bought for the motor that I do not use. I would let it go for $600 and even deliver it around La ribera when I need to make a run to the airport. Has nice beach launch wheels on boat and seats. May be a little heavy for one peoson to deal with, but so is a 14' aluminum with motor and gear.

Inflatables suck unless they have a deep V hull. They pound you in any chop Fall apart at seams in the sand, sun and salt. I tried one and could not get rid of it quick enough.

Let me know if any interest in Livingston
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 08:34 AM
livingstons

the older ones are a bit on the heavy side...that would be the ones with the blue gelcoat (paint) on the innards...there are two 12 foot designs the 12T and 12C which stands for cartopper and trailer...the 12T is a lot bigger...a 14 set up correctly can be be runned down the beach with a wife and pulled back up with the anchor rope with a old two wheeldrive Volvo...did that all over B.C.S. for many years....just a very little heavyer than a beer can..BUT, the ride is sweat,soft,dry,stable....take run for a ride!!. Ill post back with the weight....K&T:cool: PS..the new 12 is 235lbs and the 14 is 315 lbs its sure nice to have two big guys leaning over the gunnel gaffing a hog (big fish) and not tiipng the boat...small catermans ..

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by captkw]
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 10:05 PM

Thanks captkw! The two that are local are the older 14' with the blue gelcoat. One has a 30hp Yamaha 2-stroke and a center console... the other a 25hp Merc 2-stroke tiller. I may check out the 30hp CC.

When you say 'set up correctly' I assume you mean with a CC and most of the weight forward?

Jake, unfortunately we're going to be in Asuncion first and would want a boat there.

I do have a 4x4 Trailblazer with highway tires. Not the best sand launching rig but not the worst. Should work okay if I air down.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 12:18 AM

Found a nice 13'4" welded Westcoaster today and pulled the trigger. One-owner boat with everything all set up to fish. Nice trailer, good little Yamaha 15hp LS, gps/fishfinder, Eide launch wheels...even a few rods included. It's not going to take on any big water but should be great for putt-putting around on calm days and exploring lagoons/backwaters. Towed home great. Can't wait to take it for a shakedown once the weather warms up a bit here.

Thanks to all for your help. Action pics in T-minus-30 days... :spingrin:
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 03:03 AM

Have fun! Sounds like a great boat.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 03:19 AM

That'll do it....enjoy

AlanDow
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2015 at 09:00 AM

Chavycha, now that you have put some time in with this boat in the Asuncion area, how has it worked out for you? I have followed this post with much interest since I too am thinking about getting a 14 foot aluminum boat to operate from the Asuncion and San Roque area, particularly the discussion early in the post regarding the potential challenges to beach launching into the pacific around that area. From other posts it appears you did end up doing quite a bit of fishing in that area these last two months, rather successfully it appears, so I thought I would ask what have you learned? Overall were you happy with the 13ft 4 inch boat, did you mostly beach launch from the trailer or use the launch wheels, etc? If you had it to do over would you still have gone with that set-up, or now with some experience under your belt, what would you now consider the ideal setup to recommend for use in this area, Asuncion or San Roque? Thanks
Tod
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2015 at 10:42 AM

Good questions. Expiring minds want to know. I am in the same situation as far as looking for something in the 13-15' range that I can beach launch Cerritos/Punta Lobo and other Pacific beaches.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-12-2015 at 10:48 AM

Here's what a 15' WestCoaster looks like...should be a good rig for calm waters. and Having Fun!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-12-2015 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chavycha  
Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Sounds like the consensus is a 14' aluminum boat with 20" transom, and launch wheels.

rquote]

This set-up gets my vote too. I spent 30 + years with 12' and 14' Gregor's in the SOC in ALL kinds of weather--------worked for me, and I never used a "boat ramp" in all that time. Normally we were solo, or at most 2 people, with multiple similar tin-boats. A few times the pucker-factor was considerable in high winds and waves, but never really had a serious problem other than breaking the boats back one time on a big wave hit going too fast.

Barry
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2015 at 11:38 AM

Alan,

Hoo-boy. That's a big set of questions. First off, thanks to all who posted on this thread. The boat we ended up with has worked well both in the Pacific and on the Cortez (so far).

Our first few tries at beach launching were adventurous to say the least. The smaller beach wheels were no help (and actually can cause serious trouble if they get stuck in the sand). We just left them at home after the first couple tries. Easier to manhandle the boat in and out of the water. Not a one-person job when the wind waves are pounding the beach. That said, I launched it by myself a few times when it was real calm.

Our procedure was (roughly): drive the trailer to the edge of the water, kick the boat off. Drive the trailer back up beach to park. Both people spin the boat, and drag it in. Row out a bit, tilt the motor down, start the motor, ship the oars, and off you go. Reverse the procedure on the way back in. Kill the motor within about 50 yards of beach. Tilt motor up. Put the oars out. Row in (stern first - bow into waves). Pull the boat up onto sand. Spin it. Run and get the trailer while other person holds the boat. Load boat. On the Cortez where the beach drops off quickly the rowing steps aren't necessary; just motor right up to the beach.

A 13' (or 14', or 15' for that matter) is too small to be out in the big pond when the wind comes up. You'll have to pick and choose your days, and be ready to head in quick if you start seeing whitecaps. The folks who rented the casita next to us brought a 21' center console and were able to fish a lot of days when we couldn't. Then again, they burned a million gallons of gas and had to have a crew of six to put the thing in the water. We got washing-machined pretty good once, and that was enough. We were on the west side of the island - the wind came up out of the SE...since we were in the wind shadow, we didn't notice much until we came around the north point and had a couple of feet of chop in our face as we ran in (or puttered in, as it were, at about 4mph, slosh, slosh, slosh).

What I like:
The 15hp 2-stroke Yamaha is a GREAT motor. Reliable, fuel efficient, and light. We burned only about 8L / 100 pesos a day on average - usually running between 15-25 miles when you factored in getting there plus trolling around. The hull does reasonably well in a light chop and is more stable than I expected. Now, don't everyone lean over the rail at once, but I stand and fish fairly often when we're drifting. Pretty fast for a small boat in calm water - 22-23mph at full throttle with both of us and gear. Does okay with three, just not as fast. Several locals have remarked what a nice combo the hull/motor are. GPS and fishfinder have been fantastic for learning new water and structure. HIGHLY recommended.

What I don't like:
Boat was set up by previous owner as a ramp-launch freshwater boat. Thus, it had way too much gear/weight. We took out one of the plywood level floors, big deep cycle batter, anchor, etc. Still too heavy - with the built-up transom, heavy gauge hull, motor, seats, gas, etc. it weighs about 500#. The hull alone is 350ish. Transducer setup off the transom sucks for beach launching. One misstep and "snap!". Have to take it up each and every time. A nice size boat for two people, but three is one too many for fishing. It fishes great solo, but you really need two to feel comfortable launching/retrieving.
The trailer it came on has 4.80X12" tires - they do surprisingly well on the beach but would've preferred something a little bigger for the process of trailering it down.

What I would look for if I were doing it again:
I'd go for a slightly longer, deeper, yet lighter hull. A 15' or 16' boat with a 74" or even 80" beam doesn't weigh much (if any) more than our setup, and could still be pushed with a 25hp 2-stroke. Some of the older Bayrunners have a big swept-up bow which would be great for beach launching. Keep the weight to a minimum - no floorboards, no livewells, etc. I would lean towards a 2-stroke for the weight savings and ease of maintenance. Yeah, you have to mix, but 100:1 for the Yamaha means we've gone through a whole two bottles of oil in two months. Good electronics - doesn't have to be complicated, but a GPS/fishfinder and small 12v battery will help a lot. I will also bring a handheld VHF if we are out of Asuncion again. The cell service in town was in and out many mornings (bad battery or something on the relay tower) and not having any form of comm is disconcerting. I would certainly not touch anything with a 15" transom. I wished for a 25" a few times. Solid galvanized trailer with larger tires (13" at least). Same tiller steering arrangement - no need for console/remote. Rod holders - lots of rod holders. We had two rods set up for trolling, two for jigging, and two for light tackle bass. I also usually have a fly rod or two aboard as well.

It's windy here today so no boating. Did that show in the length of the reply? :D

[Edited on 2-12-2015 by chavycha]
AlanDow
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2015 at 04:00 PM

Wow, outstanding feedback. Yes the thoroughness of your reply does testify to the fact it must have been too windy to fist today. Thanks again for providing such valuable feedback.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.