BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Boat Recommendations? Thanks - found one!
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2015 at 01:11 AM

Now now...c'mon...let's grow up and let it go... :)
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 09:20 AM

Aforementioned pre-rigged boat setup is for sale. Would love to sell down here rather than towing home and storing outside for the summer. My garage already has a boat in it!

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=77959

[Edited on 3-7-2015 by chavycha]
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 05:43 PM

We sold the Westcoaster to a nice guy at Playa Coyote. It'll live out its remaining years on Bahia Concepcion. Perfect spot for that boat.

Since we got home, I've kept my eye out for next year's Baja rig. I found one this past weekend and pulled the trigger. It's a 16' Bayrunner. It's a project for sure but the price was excellent and I've got plenty of time to get it 'right' before Baja 2014/2015.

We took it out yesterday for its inaugural voyage and it did well. It's a bigger boat for sure... noticeably more stable and roomier. 16'x80" versus 13'4"x68". More freeboard and a higher bow, too. Should be great for two people, okay with three, and doable in a pinch for four.

It's currently got a center console and 28hp Evinrude SPL. Though the motor runs well and the steering wheel is nice for visibility, I'll probably swap it out for a 25-30hp 2-stroke manual start for weight savings. By ditching the console and big battery I can probably lose 125-150lbs. I think I can get it down to about 525# dry weight which is only about 125# heavier than the previous.

So really, it's a turn-key metal panga, after I replace all the seat ply, floorboards, transom, swap the motor, fix the trailer... :D

10945271_773886438402_7434622261597324785_n.jpg - 112kB

[Edited on 4-14-2015 by chavycha]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 06:20 PM

nice!

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 06:24 PM

As always, flyin' in style! Not a bad beach launcher....

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 08:32 PM
boats

I told you "boys" about LIVINGSTONS a while back,,let me guess....you think the "Baja catch" is the bible right......No wonder the china folks are taking over...lol,,,tell ya what,,I will bank,,bet all on crossing the sea of cortez in a proper rigged 14' Livingston in the mid afternoon...I get BOSTON WHALERS owners trying to sale their boat so they can move up to a cat..don't reply unless you have run pwr cats..thxs.....PS also go take a test ride on a "TWIN VEE" or if you want to sea some of the best......ck out out "MOOSE BOATS"

[Edited on 4-14-2015 by captkw]
Tod
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 09:09 PM

That's a keeper. That extra elbow room with be nice as well as more seaworthy. Congrats.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 09:14 PM

Only read the Baja Catch once... I must not have paid much attention since I think he says that 16' boats are worthless in Baja. :yes:

I'd love to build up a Livingston but they're hard to find around here. I'm more comfortable working with glass, wood, and epoxy than with aluminum. I have only seen a few of the newer models in the past year of looking locally...and those have been awfully spendy since they usually come with a big ol' 4-stroke.

Who knows, if I see a good Livingston hull I may pick it up and try it out side by side with the Bayrunner. Both have pretty good reputations for seaworthiness and durability.

[Edited on 4-14-2015 by chavycha]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 09:27 PM
chavycha

Hola, as a boat mech/tech I'm swamped now with salmon season in Monterey CA. but,,, where are/is your US based home ?? this is WaYY past a bad joke as a pro boat guy with many,many years in Baja a the BS tinnys gig..a yahoo writes a book about fishing Baja right off the beach in a tin can excuse for a boat and all the newbies ate it up !! U2U me a Land line and I will show you a better way...talk is cheap,,,right ??
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 11:42 PM

The Baja Catch is what it is...they were just giving their experiences of how they fish in Baja...it wasn't an advertisement (well...maybe for Fastrac lures!!) and it wasn't a arrogant "this is the only way to do it book". You take from it what you can, you discard the rest. The way it should be when you approach anyone's opinion or writing.

To dismiss it outright is to ignore thousands of hours of fishing on the shores of Baja. If some of it is wrong well-and this may be a shock-but some of what everyone says is wrong. Including those posting...
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 06:57 AM
the baja catch

I myself did cover to cover many,many times.and the maps were to me priceless and also the bit about a can of flat black paint for shiny leaders has helped over the years......BUT,, a beer can for a boat does,,can,,will limit what and where you can go and do....so I got smart and looked around and found a far better boat and system...when a 14 footer can fly 35 knts in the afternoon winter northerns and stay dry,,,Well I'm sold and I get paid to consult about boats and fishing...(now)..most guys have a "wagon wheel'' thinking,,sorta like bob has a F150,,,Guess I need a F150...you, yourself limit yourself !!

[Edited on 4-14-2015 by captkw]
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 07:55 AM

Hey Captain...just for a bit of comparison...how many times have you beach launched your "perfect" catamaran boat through the surf in Baja in, say, the last year? My bet is that Scott and Julia have put their boat in the ocean from the sand at least ten times more often. They launch and recover by themselves and usually with a boat load of fish! The fact is, I'd trust Scott's choice about the right boat for his purposes than almost any of your suggestions because they spend a lot of time fishing in Baja. How about you? Maybe Scott would be willing to post how many times he's put his "beer can" boat in the Mexican ocean in the past year. just for a bit of comparison...

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Warf
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 08:24 AM

I use a West Marine inflatable with beach wheels and 15 hp Johnson 2 cycle short shaft. Easy to transport, easy to launch and easy on the gas.
Perfect for the gulf side. Love it!!

La Pazadise
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 09:06 PM
Vagabundo

Hola,ahhh,,, Last year..not one time myself..winter never came to calif. and the phone kept ringing......But,,thats not the issue and a "cat" is not the perfect boat !! aint no critter made yet..as for beach launching up and down Baja surf with a small "cat" after the gregor and a valco..lets see,,, 25 yrs towing a boat down,,,,4/5 months a year.... fish some times more than others..I cant say with numbers, but I can with conviction, a Hell of a lot of beach launchs (Ya think) anyone here knew "tapedeck" at chivato,,,If anyone repliles yes than I will make sure his letter gets posted....PS,been in Baja since 77 and my claim to fame is I have dragged a boat more miles than anyone I ever have met !! to Alaska and to panama and back..I think Roger (pompano) is close !! So, IF you want a weekend warrior or a pro's thought's (its what I do for a living) no problem..I'm very used to this issue......get a grip !!..God,, do I miss DavidE,,,someone around here that had a clue !!! Any how ,,if you wanna talk bs about boats,,count me out..If you want solid,good,reliable,proven info I might try ,,once again here......but soooo, far I only see/hear old farts that are set in there ways and don't/cant hear from someone younger that knows what the hell is the real storey.....K&T

[Edited on 4-15-2015 by captkw]

[Edited on 4-15-2015 by captkw]
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2015 at 05:44 PM

Aw hell, I'd bet I'm a good bit younger than y'all...so the 'stuck in yer ways' argument doesn't quite apply. Hell, I wasn't even on this earth in 1977. I hear that back in those days all you could find in Baja was balsa rafts with pictures of the sun god Kon-Tiki on 'em. I may be a weekend (well, all winter) warrior, but an old fart I'm not! :lol:

That said, I'm plenty open to ideas of how to do things 'a better way' especially from people like captkw who have been there, done that. I think the ship's sailed, so to speak, on this particular purchase as the boat is sitting in the garage. Of course, there's always next year if we get in the habit of bringing one down and then selling it at the end of the winter.

However, I do need to repower it since all the weight with the console setup just ain't gonna fly for me. The four-stroke route is tempting for the fuel efficiency and emissions but I'd need to find a screaming deal on a 30hp in order to justify the weight penalty, and it's hard to find one with manual start/tiller steer/long shaft. I was hoping that I might be able to squeak by with a 20hp, but my lake trials last week convinced me there's no way a 20hp is going to push this hull.

So that brings it back to what's appropriate - a 25-30hp two-stroke.

I would love to find a 25hp or 30hp Yamaha but sounds like most motors from the late 1990s onward are pretty bombproof. If I could find a 2-cylinder 30hp model that would be perfect. Any recommendations?

Someone is wrong on internet.png - 38kB

[Edited on 4-16-2015 by chavycha]
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2015 at 10:40 PM

http://www.torqeedo.com/en/products/outboards/deep-blue/deep...

Plus $16,276.00 for the battery and you'll never have to buy fuel again.

:biggrin:

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 12:53 PM

The initial reviews are in on the Bayrunner hull and ETEC (posted in the other ETEC thread about the motor). Overall, I'm happy with the boat - it's led us to plenty of fish over the past month or so.

I stripped it bare, had a new all-aluminum transom put in, and then rebuilt the interior. I went with a fly deck up front and a compartment for the gas tank under the center seat. Used 1/2" marine ply for the bench seats. 1" of marine ply for the fly deck. 3/8" AB ply for the floorboards. Everything was epoxied and polyurethaned. Covered the deck and floorboards with vinyl high-traction flooring. I put some rigid insulation foam (pink stuff) under all the seats for structural support. Seems to be holding up well, even with heavy people on the seats.

The hull itself weighs about 375 pounds with all installed, and then another 175ish for the motor and battery (lightweight li-ion motorcycle starting battery). Around 550 pounds dry.

Overall, it's quite a capable little boat - the extra beam is GREAT for having two people on one side while gaffing/landing fish. It gets on plane at something ridiculously slow - around 8-9mph. It's no speed demon but solo I can get it up to just under 30mph, and it's happy with two people cruising at 'light-chop speed' 15-20mph, with a top of around 26mph. Planes out fine with four adults and actually fishes pretty comfortably with three people jigging / trolling. Lots of room for just two people.

It's light enough to be able to manipulate somewhat when launching/retrieving. Pretty much have to back the trailer right up to or even into the surf to launch - the old drop it on the sand, spin it, and run it bow-first into the waves would be quite difficult.

Biggest downside is that it's a rough ride in chop, especially when lightly loaded. I also did not have a splashwell / motor well put in, so the 20" transom occasionally takes a wave over the top when landing on the beach.

I also redid the trailer, adding 185/13 tires, new bunks (with plastic sliders) and a heavy duty winch. It's possible to winch the boat onto the trailer from sitting dry on the beach (though just barely). The trailer sits high off the ground, so the bow has to come up at quite an angle. Not sure how well it would work on the Cortez side where the beaches are steeper. I will consider an extended tongue for beach-launching this rig in the future.

[Edited on 2-22-2017 by chavycha]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 02:00 PM

A turn-key metal panga, huh? I think it probably slaps WAY more than a panga in chop.

Tell me about your beach launching area. That sure seems like a lot of boat to try launching with those narrow tires. How far into the water are the rear wheels on the launch vehicle going?
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 12:02 PM

The only things that it has in common with a panga are that it's a boat and it's in Mexico. Hard to compare a 375lb shallow vee aluminum hull with a 3000# fiberglass panga. :D

The tires are no problem, I sink more with the rear of my launch rig on 255/18s than with the 185/13 on the trailer. The trailer is different than the one pictured above - it's a slightly smaller, lighter EZloader galvanized rig which weighs only about 275#.

A couple people talked about the Asuncion/San Roque launches earlier in this thread. The beaches are somewhat sheltered in the bays so they don't catch any of the NW swell, but do get some of the SSW swell when there is one. We have not tried launching/retrieving in anything over about 3' of swell component... if there's more than that, the conditions on the open ocean are going to be nasty. The two main beaches in Asuncion are good hard sand launches. I back the launch rig down where just the rear tires are lapped by the surf, which puts the trailer bunks right at water level. Hop out, both people push the boat off, spin it in the surf (and/or push out past the break), and then one holds while the other parks the car. The beaches aren't steep so on bigger surf days we have to push the boat off and pull the trailer from under it with the car, then wait for a big set to float the boat and spin it around. I put the plastic EZ-slide things on the trailer bunks which have helped immensely in pushing the boat off the trailer when it's dry. With just carpeted bunks, it'd be a huge chore.

On the way back in, I put the motor in shallow water drive about 100 yards from shore, and then just run it up towards the beach. When I get within about 10 yards of the break, I kill the motor and coast in. Then, if the surf's up a bit, we will hop out and pull it up the beach with a big set. If it's not, we'll push it out and have one person just hold the bow line with the boat out past the break. Other person goes to fetch the car, backs down, hops out, and loading is the inverse of launching.

We've got it choreographed pretty well with two people and these launches. I can actually do it myself as long as the surf is down, there's no wind, and I didn't park the car too far away.

As I noted above, the launches which we've used in the past on the East Cape (La Ribera beach, etc.) may be a little more challenging on the retrieval side of things. We won't make it down there this winter but are planning on doing it next fall, and with a few minor tweaks to this rig, I feel pretty comfortable we'll be able to launch/retrieve successfully over there.

[Edited on 2-23-2017 by chavycha]
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 12:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
14' Livingston with pull start 25hp 2 stroke and the small console ...will run circles around any panga...soft,dry stable,safe in any wind or chop !!! easy beach launch and does it ALL !!

What's the advantage or disadvantage of an aluminum boat i.e. Bay runner etc?

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.