BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Old Fashioned Mexican Margarita...
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 12-23-2004 at 12:43 AM
Old Fashioned Mexican Margarita...

I caught Rick Bayless' PBS 1/2 hour show 'Frontera Kitchen' again last Saturday...It's a fun watch with some great Mexican food ideas...try to catch it if you can, sometime.

Anyway, he closed his show with his version of the classic 'Old Fashioned Mexican Margarita'...try it you'll like it...we 'brewed up a few later that night, and zoom-zat...they are GREAT!

Here's the straight-scoop from Rick's Web Site: http://www.fronterakitchens.com

"You?ll need three ingredients for this very refreshing, exemplary margarita: fresh-squeezed lime juice, a 100% agave silver tequila... and Cointreau (or its Mexican equivalent, Controy?both have the necessary sweetness and full flavor that Triple Sec doesn?t).

Plan on about 3 tablespoons of each per drink, meaning that 3/4 cup of each will yield about 4 margaritas.

Pour coarse (Kosher) salt into a small plate. Use a lime half to moisten the rim of your c-cktail glasses (I typically use martini glasses), then tip them into the salt to encrust the rim.

Mix equal portions of lime juice, tequila and Cointreau in a pitcher.

Fill a c-cktail shaker half full of ice cubes, add enough margarita mixture for a couple of drinks (a generous cup), secure the lid and shake for a full 15 seconds to chill the mixture and properly dilute it with the melting ice.

Strain into the salt-rimmed glass and enjoy."

For us...we just poured a shot glass full of each ingredient in a shaker with ice - shake, shake, shake, and pour into a salted martini glass....YUMMMMMMMY

The next day out shopping, we found one of those bar gadgets that hold four booze bottles, upside-down, with a device under each on that pours just one shot - like some cheapo type bars. We filled an old bottle with lime juice to go along with the tequila and controy bottles - instant margie dispenser!!!! Used the 4th spot for the Rum bottle!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

thumbup.gif posted on 12-23-2004 at 08:25 AM
excellent Ray, i saw that episode too. it repeats

sometimes.
now for some variety....do the same mixes/ratios and sub for controy:

1. grand mariner

2. blue curacao

3. peach schnapps

4. tuaca

and ALWAYS use the little sweet mexican or florida key limes. regular limes are too sour IMHO.

enjoy in qty and never drive amigos!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Elena La Loca
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2004 at 09:49 AM

Tuaca? In a margarita? Hmmmm, sounds good to me! The only way I've ever tried Tuaca is w/ hot apple cider on a cold winter night...to DIE for!!! Just like a hot apple pie fresh out of the oven!

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 12-23-2004 at 06:41 PM
Follow up from Rick Bayless....

I sent Rick an email about using his 'Margarita' recipe here on Baja Nomad's board, along with a web link so he could take a peak at our stuff, here...

He was nice enough, during this 'busy' season, to send me a reply today:

Dear Ray:

Thanks for your nice note. I'm glad you like the shows. In fact, you'll see a lot of new ones in the late spring. I appreciate your spreading the good word about the Old Fashioned Margarita.

All the best,

Rick Bayless

...again, if you haven't caught his shows on PBS, give em' a try, they are one of the best 'food' shows around, especially for we 'Baja' types!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-23-2004 at 06:56 PM

i will try one of each thanks

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2004 at 09:24 PM
Thanks

I got six recipes off his web site.

[Edited on 12-24-2004 by rogerj1]
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2004 at 11:48 PM
Bajamargaritas

When Bill Callahan had La Posada (the one Engelbert [sp?] later put his name on) a bartender whose name I've forgotten made a Bajamargarita--substituting Damiana Liqueur for half the Controy. That works just fine with the Bayless recipe. Thanks, Mexray!

Lera

[Edited on 12-24-2004 by bajalera]

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-24-2004 at 08:23 AM
hi Elana - you y Bill going to the SF 250?

it happened one time out of necessity. we were out of all side supplements except an old bottle of tuaca so said WTF - let's roll! well, it worked. guess the real thing is when you have to make sumthing w/ tequila cause tequila's all you have around - you just improvise!:bounce:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2004 at 10:17 AM

My favorite is to make same with part Grand Marnier and part Damiana. Yum!

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.