Author: Subject: Tourist card
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
INM can and does accept payment when cashier is closed. This has been my experience in Ensenada during holiday Sunday.

How did they give you a stamped receipt? only the banks have the stamp.

Don't know about "receipt". The stub that INM separated from the card and gave me - the one that I'm supposed to carry as a proof of my tourist status - to my best memory, it had a stamp on it. Sorry, I don't have it now, didn't keep it as a souvenir :). It looked not much different from stamp that INM applies to passports in airports upon landing.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
INM can and does accept payment when cashier is closed. This has been my experience in Ensenada during holiday Sunday.

How did they give you a stamped receipt? only the banks have the stamp.

Don't know about "receipt". The stub that INM separated from the card and gave me - the one that I'm supposed to carry as a proof of my tourist status - to my best memory, it had a stamp on it. Sorry, I don't have it now, didn't keep it as a souvenir :). It looked not much different from stamp that INM applies to passports in airports upon landing.

don't doubt it. wonder where the money went?:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm

The Tijuana INM officer also took my money for the FMM and when I asked about using the bank teller in the same building I was told it doesn't matter, whatever I wanted to do. This was a Sunday afternoon. They had cash box in a drawer. This was new policy to make this easier for tourists. Keep in mind different government employees might not want to do their job and send you to the bank teller.
At Tecate I asked INM the same and was told if the bank teller in their building was closed they would take payment. I posted all this about 2 years ago. Come prepared for the worst and be flexible.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 06:56 PM

I like to think that most of my fellow Nomads do travel to Baja and realize that arguing about what is the absolute correct legal procedure is just downright silliness when it comes to Baja. It simply depends on which government official you talk to on any given day. They may even change the answer to the very same question to the person right behind you in line! It's Baja, those of us that love her just accept it. Certainly nothing to argue over. I've paid my fees at the bank, I've paid my fees to INM, I have had INM keep my bank receipt and I've had INM return my receipt. The only thing that matters, because it is the only thing I have to show, is that they stamp my visa (FMM). Who keeps the money is between the INM official and his government.

As I posted earlier why jump through all the hoops of finding parking, wondering if the bank is open or any other what-ifs now that the SY crossing has become as convenient as it now is?

In Memory of E-57
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 08:47 PM

Quote:
wonder where the money went?

Don't know, and don't really care. I got my FMM, this all that matters. From how he did it, the chances of it getting to the government looked pretty good. He checked it twice, made me fill one more line and put a signature that I forgot, and entered FMM in the computer. How the government will spend this money - don't ask me :)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
I like to think that most of my fellow Nomads do travel to Baja and realize that arguing about what is the absolute correct legal procedure is just downright silliness when it comes to Baja.

Sometimes the arguing is just to pass the time,... In other cases, arguing is the way people are wired,... Nothing wrong with silliness, is more fun that dour seriousness, eh?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Quote:
wonder where the money went?

Don't know, and don't really care. I got my FMM, this all that matters. From how he did it, the chances of it getting to the government looked pretty good. He checked it twice, made me fill one more line and put a signature that I forgot, and entered FMM in the computer. How the government will spend this money - don't ask me :)

yep, when I hand the girl at OXXO 150 peso's for a 12 pack I could care less where it goes;) but I did find it a bit curious that the friendly helpful agent at SY a couple weeks ago was happy to round off the bill for two tourist cards rather than make change! this was noon on monday and a number of folks buying cards. who do you gotta know to get THAT job?:lol:
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
but I did find it a bit curious that the friendly helpful agent at SY a couple weeks ago was happy to round off the bill for two tourist cards rather than make change! this was noon on monday and a number of folks buying cards. who do you gotta know to get THAT job?:lol:
I GOT THE SAME GUY LAST WED! 25 USD each:lol:

In Memory of E-57
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Actually went into the computer? Are others seeing this step?

Hm... Computer screens are - normally - facing the officer, you can't see what's in there. But he looked at my FMM and typed something in. It might as well be something like "one blank incorrectly filled and destroyed, no tourists for the day, no money collected, nada" :)
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.