Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Tourist card
K7BVT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2014 at 11:34 PM
Tourist card

We plan on being in the Loreto area for the Baja 1000 so think we better get tourist/FMT card. Any difference in getting card in either Tijuana or Tecate? How long does it normally take?
Chuck in Portland
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 06:29 AM
FMM

Been to both places. Parking is easier at Tijuana, less traffic in Tecate. 15 minutes, tops

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 08:56 AM

If you cross at TKT, there are a half dozen or so parking lots before you get to the border gates on your right. If you're towing anything (RV, cargo trailer) pull in the very first one; more room for rigs there, a little farther walk (not much). Cross the border at the turnstile gate, and the first big building on the right is where you take your passport in and get the paperwork. Then exit, walk back towards the border less than 100 feet is a small kiosk set up to pay the bank fee (about $26 mas o meno), then back in to the original office for the bap!boom! rubber stamp routine, and you're all set. Like BG says, 15-20 minutes tops, and a good short stroll to limber up the legs from driving; you're all set. Tell the customs guy you want 180 days worth; doesn't cost any more, and that way you're set if you decide to go back into Mexico any time in the near future. Happy trails.

Oh yeah, there are two casas de cambio at the border on the U.S. side, one gives a little better rate than the other... get your pesos at the same time and you don't have to worry about exchanging money at the Pemex stations, you're good to go. I usually get $200-300 worth for the trip down (if not a little more) and then hit bank ATMs from then on with my debit card.

[Edited on 10-13-2014 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 09:34 AM
Tecate

If you are crossing with a car/truck, come south through the red/green light gates. The INM office and the bank will be to your right. As you pass INM, there will be a small alley on your right.

Pass the alley and turn right at the first street intersection. go to the next intersection and turn right again, then go a 1/2 block to the small alley.

Turn right into the alley and there will be parking spaces on your left. There may be a guy directing you where to park..........go in to INM, get your FMM, pay at the bank, return to INM get the FMM stamped and you will be on your way......15 minutes tops.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 10:42 AM

I've only been twice after they build new Tijuana crossing at El Chapparal. Very fast, and very easy. A lot of parking before the gates, as noted, so you can go inside and get tourist card. Then you have to pay, and pay, and pay - for a toll road to Ensenada, about 6 toll booths on 100km stretch. Unless you choose the "libre" road running parallel to highway, with traffic lights, potholes, children and chicken jaywalking etc etc. Not too bad, just slower.

PS: I didn't notice that you asked about "how long" for tourist card. Depends on the line. You have to get the blank from INM window, fill the blank, then pay at the cashiers window, then stamp it at the INM window. Even with no line at all - doesn't normally happen - it would still take 5 minutes. With a group of tourists or a group of Baja1000 fans ;) unloading from minivan just before you, it can take 30-40 minutes.

[Edited on 10-13-2014 by Alm]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 11:07 AM

There are only three toll booths on the Ensenada highway, and only two since the landslide closed the La Misión/San Miguel Village section.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 11:16 AM
Toll Booths

Don't confuse the issues with facts

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
There are only three toll booths on the Ensenada highway, and only two since the landslide closed the La Misión/San Miguel Village section.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 12:57 PM

It felt like 10 toll booths to me :) ... When you're towing, it can get painful...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 01:38 PM

:biggrin: Just keeping it real! :cool:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 04:10 PM

It has just crossed my mind - with all those road repairs on the toll road - why not going through the other crossing, at Otay? Then taking that "kinda highway" Corredor 2000 to Ensenada, rather than toll road. Though there is short section of toll highway on the US side. Never tried getting a tourist card at Otay, but this place is so small, it can't be too far to walk to INM or cashier's window.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 04:18 PM

You don't have to use the toll road from Tijuana either... It is called Mexico 1 (Libre). The toll highway is Mexico 1-D (Cuota) and named the 'Scenic Highway'.

The free (Libre) highway is not much longer a drive, but it does have many signals to stop at. You pay for speed.

The Corredor 2000 is an excellent concrete 4 lane highway, and free. It takes you to the free Ensenada road, just south of Rosarito (by Popotla). The free road is 4 lanes wide from there to Cantamar and then 2 lanes on to San Miguel Village (where the toll road ends), and is 4 lanes the rest of the way to Ensenada.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 05:59 PM

You "don't have" to take a toll road from TJ El Chapparal, but it's smoother, faster, less stressful than old "libre". Not too many gringos choose libre to Ensenada these days. Only if they need something in Rosarito, or to bypass repairs like those now.

Corredor 2000 would be my choice if crossing at Otay. Very easy to get there from Otay.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 06:14 PM

I've gotten my card at all three points of entry. My vote is for San Ysidro for ease of parking, payment convenience, and 24 hours a day. If you can't afford to pay the tolls then maybe you should stay home...just saying....

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by K7BVT
We plan on being in the Loreto area for the Baja 1000 so think we better get tourist/FMT card. Any difference in getting card in either Tijuana or Tecate? How long does it normally take?
Chuck in Portland

sorry for all the distractions. happens a lot around here. Biggest difference is parking.

TJ has parking right next to immigration. Tecate does not but you do not have to drive through a large city. We prefer Tecate.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 07:52 PM

"If you can't afford to pay the tolls"? You can afford pay tolls. And gas. This year more than the last year, next year more than this year and so on. And mechanic. $500 with labor to replace a piece that fits in a palm of your hand, doesn't matter... And hotels approaching (sometimes exceeding) NOB prices, this is with personnel getting paid 50 bucks a week... And mordidas if somebody stops you, why paying fine when you can afford giving several times more... Spend it all, guys from a church told me yesterday the end of the world is coming. :yawn:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 08:08 PM

You can't take Corridor 2000 from Otay to Ensenada (it's a connector road from Mex 2 to Mex 1)

You don't need to take the California toll road (CA 125) to get to the Otay crossing

Otay FMM is doable but more trouble than San Ysidro or Tecate

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
It has just crossed my mind - with all those road repairs on the toll road - why not going through the other crossing, at Otay? Then taking that "kinda highway" Corredor 2000 to Ensenada, rather than toll road. Though there is short section of toll highway on the US side. Never tried getting a tourist card at Otay, but this place is so small, it can't be too far to walk to INM or cashier's window.

liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 08:09 PM

Go TJ, very easy and fast. If you are towing it is easy also. just did it 3 weeks ago.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2014 at 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
You can't take Corridor 2000 from Otay to Ensenada (it's a connector road from Mex 2 to Mex 1)

You don't need to take the California toll road (CA 125) to get to the Otay crossing

Otay FMM is doable but more trouble than San Ysidro or Tecate

Corredor doesn't begin at the border crossing. Didn't think anybody needed these explanations :), but here you go:

Mex 2 begins few blocks from Otay, you go about 7 miles down Mex 2 and you're in the Corredor, and it ends on Mex 1 after the last toll booth and before Ensenada. It's an unmarked brown line on the map by David K that begins close to the border, and if you look closer, there are small letters close to the North end of that road - "Otay". Googlemaps show this better. I didn't try FMM at Otay, don't know what can be a trouble there.

You can't take tool road CA 125 right to the border because it ends 2 miles before the border, duh. Depending where you coming from, you may still need it. Took it once, was very little traffic, nice.

Tecate - in some other post - yes, you don't have to drive "through a large city" there, and neither you have to in SY El Chap or Otay. Either Otay or SY will take you to highway that bypasses Tijuana.
K7BVT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2014 at 01:23 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We have crossed at TJ in the past so will probably use it this time even though I pucker up going through TJ. I will be pulling utility trailer with a couple of bikes and gear. The second part of our party are coming in from Arizona so they will probably use Tecate.

Around 97 I traded a handful of Honda pins for tourist cards at immigration office in Ensenada. The next time they held our passports while we made payments in bank. The cop with chrome plated pistol and arm full of wristwatches at Guerra Negro used to seem disappointed when we had our cards.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2014 at 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by K7BVT
Thanks for all of the suggestions. We have crossed at TJ in the past so will probably use it this time even though I pucker up going through TJ. I will be pulling utility trailer with a couple of bikes and gear. The second part of our party are coming in from Arizona so they will probably use Tecate.

Around 97 I traded a handful of Honda pins for tourist cards at immigration office in Ensenada. The next time they held our passports while we made payments in bank. The cop with chrome plated pistol and arm full of wristwatches at Guerra Negro used to seem disappointed when we had our cards.

Just a reminder about Tecate and Otay, the hours are limited. Not 100%, but I believe M-F, 9 to 5.

Have a great trip.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.