Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Tourist card
soylent_green
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2014 at 08:45 AM

I recently got a tourist card at the Ensenada office on Blvd. Teniente Azueta north side of the harbor.

Real convenient. Not sure of the hours though.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2014 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soylent_green
I recently got a tourist card at the Ensenada office on Blvd. Teniente Azueta north side of the harbor.

recently? that office has been closed for months.:?:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-14-2014 at 12:09 PM

The INM officer there (Ensenada) used to be reported here as being real hostile to land travelers bothering him for tourist cards (it is there for boaters arriving). Nice to hear things have changed.

However, do you really want to drive 70 miles BACK to the border IF it is closed or the guy wants to add $100 'fee'?

The ONLY sure way is to get the thing at the border... they are supposed to accept payment if the bank teller next door is closed.

If they won't, keep the unpaid forms until you can pop into a bank to pay it later, during your trip... at least that's the routine back when they couldn't take the payment at the INM office (Tecate) and the bank nearby was closed when you crossed.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

soylent_green
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2014 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:

August 29, 2014
At the "Centro Integral De Servicios". Inside the door to left.
Across the street from Agencia Arjona

Not hostile at all.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2014 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:

August 29, 2014
At the "Centro Integral De Servicios". Inside the door to left.
Across the street from Agencia Arjona

Not hostile at all.

well thats great news! an easy spot to get a tourist card in ensenada! :yes:
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2014 at 04:21 PM

With the new crossing at SY why hassle anything else. I just crossed last Wed. Stay in the right lane as you approach the border. The road now takes a 90 turn to the right. Instead of turning left to cross just pull straight ahead to the declaracion area. Plenty of parking even with towing a 24' boat. Park your rig and walk into the big blue building to INM. If you have something to declare this is also the time to do it. I stopped at the Aduana and showed them what I was bringing down and they said not enough to worry about so on to INM. This time he accepted my money without sending me to the bank two doors over (and only charged me $25 instead of the $26 something that is usual) Probably stuffed it in his own pocket but not my concern, I got my documents stamped and was on my way in 5 min. Probably because I had a shell on my truck they stopped me briefly in secondary and asked to take a look. I explained I already stopped at the Aduana so they called on the radio and had that confirmed and I was on my way. Someone mentioned they don't like driving through downtown TJ so I wasn't sure what route they took. As you leave the border just follow the signs for Cuota and it takes you right to the border road and on up the hill. Take a right at the bottom of the hill and you are on the Cuota. With the toll road under construction still it drops you on to the libre after the second toll then runs you inland through farmland for a while before dropping you into Ensenada.

In Memory of E-57
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 10-14-2014 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by K7BVT
We plan on being in the Loreto area for the Baja 1000 so think we better get tourist/FMT card. Any difference in getting card in either Tijuana or Tecate? How long does it normally take?
Chuck in Portland

K7BVT??? Is that a ham license? If it is, it is an old one?
K7BVT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2014 at 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Quote:
Originally posted by K7BVT
We plan on being in the Loreto area for the Baja 1000 so think we better get tourist/FMT card. Any difference in getting card in either Tijuana or Tecate? How long does it normally take?
Chuck in Portland

K7BVT??? Is that a ham license? If it is, it is an old one?

First licensed in 1957. Have operated XE2/K7BVT but recently limit operation to helping with VHF race radio. -73-
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2014 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
With the new crossing at SY why hassle anything else. I just crossed last Wed. Stay in the right lane as you approach the border. The road now takes a 90 turn to the right. Instead of turning left to cross just pull straight ahead to the declaracion area. Plenty of parking even with towing a 24' boat. Park your rig and walk into the big blue building to INM. If you have something to declare this is also the time to do it. I stopped at the Aduana and showed them what I was bringing down and they said not enough to worry about so on to INM. This time he accepted my money without sending me to the bank two doors over (and only charged me $25 instead of the $26 something that is usual) Probably stuffed it in his own pocket but not my concern, I got my documents stamped and was on my way in 5 min. Probably because I had a shell on my truck they stopped me briefly in secondary and asked to take a look. I explained I already stopped at the Aduana so they called on the radio and had that confirmed and I was on my way. Someone mentioned they don't like driving through downtown TJ so I wasn't sure what route they took. As you leave the border just follow the signs for Cuota and it takes you right to the border road and on up the hill...

All correct. SY (El Chapparal) now is the best crossing, particularly for tourist card. And they open 24/7, unlike some other places. Park in Declaration yard before the gates, go inside, do your thing, use a washroom, drive out from the yard and go through the red/green gates. After the gates simply follow signs to Quota (toll road).

Yes, you might get FMM in Ensenada, I did, on a holiday Sunday, no hostility and no people - though it was a young rookie left there for holidays, senior officers were happily drinking in their homes. And it's on the direct route to Mex1. But why stopping here, paying for parking, and taking chances that they will be closed or in a bad mood and/or send you back to the border because (often debated) regulations say to get FMM if going beyond Rosarito.
grichg

[*] posted on 10-18-2014 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Tell the customs guy you want 180 days worth; doesn't cost any more, and that way you're set if you decide to go back into Mexico any time in the near future. Happy trails.

[Edited on 10-13-2014 by bajabuddha]

A TC is for one visit only and cannot be used for multiple visits. Many little rules with that piece of paper including fines, etc.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2014 at 08:51 PM

grichg, one thing I've learned about Mexico in general and this forum in particular, is that "rules" here are only considered rules when they are enforced.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2014 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The INM officer there (Ensenada) used to be reported here as being real hostile to land travelers bothering him for tourist cards (it is there for boaters arriving). Nice to hear things have changed.

However, do you really want to drive 70 miles BACK to the border IF it is closed or the guy wants to add $100 'fee'?

The ONLY sure way is to get the thing at the border... they are supposed to accept payment if the bank teller next door is closed.

If they won't, keep the unpaid forms until you can pop into a bank to pay it later, during your trip... at least that's the routine back when they couldn't take the payment at the INM office (Tecate) and the bank nearby was closed when you crossed.

David, your information is not 100% accurate. You can't just walk into a bank and pay a fee. Also, I do not believe they are supposed to accept payment if the bank teller is closed. Where did you get this info?

grichg

[*] posted on 10-18-2014 at 08:59 PM

I think that goes for everywhere....

Was just pointing out that its a misconception about that part of the Card.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

David, your information is not 100% accurate. You can't just walk into a bank and pay a fee. Also, I do not believe they are supposed to accept payment if the bank teller is closed. Where did you get this info?

This was the deal TOLD to people by INM in Tecate (and other places) if the nearby bank was closed that day or when they crossed the border. It was posted here hundreds of times it seems.

Here is what I posted you missed: "The ONLY sure way is to get the thing at the border... they are supposed to accept payment if the bank teller next door is closed."

What do you do IF the INM people won't take any money... give up and go back into the United States?

What I posted above: "If they won't, keep the unpaid forms until you can pop into a bank to pay it later, during your trip... at least that's the routine back when they couldn't take the payment at the INM office (Tecate) and the bank nearby was closed when you crossed."

Not sure how any of that was bad advice? Surprised you don't rememeber all the posts that explained that method of being 'honest' in Mexico.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 08:02 AM

This was the deal TOLD to people by INM in Tecate (and other places) if the nearby bank was closed that day or when they crossed the border.
********and you can get different advice from any other border crossing and INM employee...what are the correct rules and regulations???...nobody has posted them

It was posted here hundreds of times it seems.
.......really????...Hundreds???

Here is what I posted you missed: "The ONLY sure way is to get the thing at the border...
******Correct

they are supposed to accept payment if the bank teller next door is closed."
********supposed???...what are are the official regulations????...does anybody know....not what was "told" to somebody

What do you do IF the INM people won't take any money... give up and go back into the United States?
***********that is a possibility......why the confrontational response???

What I posted above: "If they won't, keep the unpaid forms until you can pop into a bank to pay it later, during your trip... at least that's the routine back when they couldn't take the payment at the INM office (Tecate) and the bank nearby was closed when you crossed."

Not sure how any of that was bad advice?
********NOBODY said that was bad advice

Surprised you don't rememeber all the posts that explained that method of being 'honest' in Mexico.
****another confrontational response

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This was the deal TOLD to people by INM in Tecate (and other places) if the nearby bank was closed that day or when they crossed the border. It was posted here hundreds of times it seems.

Here is what I posted you missed: "The ONLY sure way is to get the thing at the border... they are supposed to accept payment if the bank teller next door is closed."

Not sure how any of that was bad advice? Surprised you don't rememeber all the posts that explained that method of being 'honest' in Mexico.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

David, one time, many years ago, we were told that we could pay at any bank. We went to Bancomer in Vizcaino. They said they could not accept the payment. In addition, the Immigration officer did not provide us with the correct form for the bank.

Another time, more recently, we went to Otay Mesa to get our tourist cards on a Saturday. He said he could not give us the tourist cards because the bank was closed. He said we could get them at the airport though. What did we do? Cross back to the US.

Just because you read something here David does not make it true. It's no different than when you regurgitate some BS that Hannity said on TV.

If you have first hand experience, share it. Otherwise, let someone else who has recent experience share their info.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 02:17 PM

Nothing like making something simple into a complicated mess. I refuse to let bureaucracy at the border rob me of my vacation or deprive Mexican business of the income tourism supplies. Before you jump to more conclusions about me, know I have never not been able to pay for my INM at the border. I document my trips here with nausiating detail! I do that to provide the best data for my friends here.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 03:08 PM

Quote:
Nothing like making something simple into a complicated mess. I refuse to let bureaucracy at the border rob me of my vacation or deprive Mexican business of the income tourism supplies. Before you jump to more conclusions about me, know I have never not been able to pay for my INM at the border. I document my trips here with nausiating detail! I do that to provide the best data for my friends here.

Nauseating..yes.....why can't you just admit you were wrong. Folks. The immigration folks can not accept your money, unless of course it was under the table and then you would not have the banks stamped receipt. You are supposed to go to the bank the first chance you get and most of the time that is right at the border.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 03:12 PM

INM can and does accept payment when cashier is closed. This has been my experience in Ensenada during holiday Sunday.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
INM can and does accept payment when cashier is closed. This has been my experience in Ensenada during holiday Sunday.

How did they give you a stamped receipt? only the banks have the stamp. This from the immigration folks in Santa Rosalia and Guerrero Negro, Reaffirmed at Tecate least time my son got his there 6 months ago.

Just got an email back from a friend at immigration. receipt is special from Banjercito. Titled Recibo Bancario de Pago de Contribuciones, Productos, y Aprovechamientos Federales. Not available to them. Government wants all payment at the Banks because of allegations of problems in the past with immigration officers.

[Edited on 10-19-2014 by rts551]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.