BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8
Author: Subject: .... th'FRACKing nutzanony thread ........
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 10:17 PM

Sweetwater, I drove through Aneth and Montezuma Creek in July. Still REEKS of fumes. Let's blame it on 'small oil'.

Also did EMS in the area a few years; no health hazards there, long or short-term. And, Fox News is ALWAYS correct.......... NOT.

Far's "My life story is not or will not be in 'nutzoid' thread thank you very much.".... fabulous title.

.............the thread continues...........

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
...I am a member of advrider ..... I'll see if I can find your blog.... if not I will break down and ask ged but I'd rather break a leg than talk to that guy. ....

DT,
Here ya go, buddy.....next time I will lead YOU into the silt beds :biggrin:

Read all about frackin breaking a leg:

[Edited on 10-21-2014 by motoged]http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666961&highlight=slapped+provocation

[Edited on 10-21-2014 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 10:30 PM

Well, OIL/Gas Rants would be the place to start....for dt

Beyond that, disappointment is relative to expectations....and we all know about her.....

The real issue that this thread originally was based upon is the process of hydraulic fracturing....fracing.....or commonly known as now as fracking....

Because it involves the basis of carbon based life forms, water, the different practices of fracking have been the source of many environmental issues and the bane of the industry. Since I come from humble origins and don't really have skin in the game, either personal or family, at this time, I'm totally comfortable informing people about the real outcomes of the energy industry and it's impact on communities, physical and social developments. I am so touched by the outpouring of interest in my personal and family life and circumstances but those are not the issue that presents when towns, counties and states make decisions about corporate developments that benefit some and exploit others. I know those stories and I grew up with folks in pretty much all of those categories. Challenge that and that's OK with me.....but I won't be intimidated into silence. Que Sera, Sera.......

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
...I am a member of advrider ..... I'll see if I can find your blog.... if not I will break down and ask ged but I'd rather break a leg than talk to that guy. ....

DT,
Here ya go, buddy.....next time I will lead YOU into the silt beds :biggrin:

Read all about frackin breaking a leg:

[Edited on 10-21-2014 by motoged]http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666961&highlight=slapped+provocation

[Edited on 10-21-2014 by motoged]

How many times do I get to see those x-rays..........

Let me save you the time/inquiry....be sure to start at the beginning....otherwise, you might get the wrong impression......

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69938

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 11:15 PM

I feel bad that I made fun of you when you broke your leg. I didn't feel bad until we got back to San Ignacio and saw the blood pooling in your foot, I figured it was broken....but then I called you names till you put your boot back on your broken leg and rode some more. Don't thank me, that's what friends are for. Imagine how embarrassed you would feel if I called a helicopter to fly you out of there like you wanted me to do....Your friends think you are a badass biker dude that will ignore a bone sticking out of your pants to keep riding.....I helped make you "that guy".....No need to thank me...no really...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 07:37 AM

Quote:
Let's blame it on 'small oil'.

A keeper ... :lol::lol:

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
I feel bad that I made fun of you when you broke your leg..... Imagine how embarrassed you would feel if I called a helicopter to fly you out of there like you wanted me to do....

David,
There is a limit to the disrespect and misrepresentation of the truth that I am willing to put up with....

I DID NOT want a helicopter....I believe I requested a nurse or two to attend to the swelling and blood pooling, a masseuse to soothe my aching body, and a few nubile female "attendants" to see to my other needs.

But "NO....." ...you simply and callously responded with, "If you can ride, we should continue to Asuncion so you can sit around there looking for sympathy instead of suffering in the parking lot here at Rice and Beans for three days" until my friends returned
to the bus .

I do not want to spoil any of the distorted impressions any Nomads may already have of me... :biggrin: :lol:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 11:00 AM

How'ed you break your leg?:?:
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 11:04 AM

Crashed my motorcycle in a silt bed.....first gear going slow, bike fell and my left foot twisted backwards 180 degrees....nothing too extreme or romantic....

Ride report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666961

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 11:14 AM

Ouch!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 11:15 AM

yeah....it fracked me up for a few months....:saint:

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Crashed my motorcycle in a silt bed.....first gear going slow, bike fell and my left foot twisted backwards 180 degrees....nothing too extreme or romantic....

Ride report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666961

The description of your crash says it all, if you had been on the pegs, head over the bars and on the gas you wouldn't have crashed.....on the other hand you wouldn't have gotten all that sympathy and soothing from the he/she we met in the bar in San Ignacio....BTW, are you two still an item, you were such a cute couple even if he/she was a foot taller than you.:lol::lol::lol:
He/she was pretty fracking hot!

Edited to include the word "fracking" so as not to hijack the thread..

[Edited on 10-21-2014 by dtbushpilot]

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 11:38 AM

I have a different memory of that day's ride:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=51816

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 12:15 PM

http://www.globalpossibilities.org/tag/fracking/
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 01:27 PM

California’s Dwindling Water Supply Is Contaminated, and More

Oct 22, 2014 Posted by Casey Coates Danson

[Translate]Video Report VIA TRUTHOUT

In today’s On the News segment: The last thing Californians needed was to learn that some of their dwindling water supply has been contaminated; last week, a lab official pleaded guilty to conspiracy to violate the Clean Water Act; the Nuclear Regulatory Commission is considering whether to extend Diablo Canyon’s operating license for another 20 years; and more.

TRANSCRIPT :

You need to know this. California is already dealing with the worst drought in that state’s history. So, the last thing residents needed was to learn that some of their dwindling water supply has been contaminated. Back in June, California regulators shut down 11 fracking injection wells after finding that wastewater may have contaminated aquifers. The Environmental Protection Agency ordered the state to send a full report, which the California State Water Resources Board turned in earlier this month. The board confirmed that at least nine of the fracking sites in question were dumping waste into aquifers used for drinking water and farm irrigation. The Center for Biological Diversity obtained a copy of the letter that the board sent to the EPA, which revealed some alarming information. That letter said about three billion gallons of fracking wastewater was pumped into injection wells and seeped into aquifers near the center of that state. Water samples taken from these areas have extremely high levels of carcinogens and toxins like thallium and arsenic. Timothy Krantz of the University of Redlands, said, “The fact that high concentrations are showing up in multiple water wells close to wastewater injection sites raises major concerns about the health and safety of nearby residents.” Considering that many of California’s reservoirs are already sitting at about half of their historic average, that state can’t afford to lose access to any of their drinking water. But, thanks to the fossil fuel industry, residents may have to risk consuming dangerous chemicals or risk going thirsty. This is exactly why they can’t be trusted. It’s time for a complete moratorium on natural gas drilling, and time to end our addiction to fossil fuels.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 01:59 PM

We were promised methane regulations! Where are our methane regulations?!

Oct 21, 2014
[Translate]

London Permaculture

By Heather Smith GRIST
To the tune of “How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?”: How do you solve a problem like methane? If you can figure out how to keep it from floating away into the atmosphere, you can burn it as fuel. If you can’t, it drifts up into the troposphere, where it hangs out, accelerating climate disruption and not doing anyone any good (unless you’re a fan of the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum).In some cases, methane is just gonna drift because that’s something the earth does sometimes (SEE: Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum). But there are two main sources of methane leakage that are clearly our fault: the stuff that drifts out of poorly maintained natural gas pipes (and sometimes explodes), and the stuff that’s being released as a byproduct of the fracking boom in places like North Dakota and Texas. Sometimes it is flared off (you can see that from space); other times, it’s just vented.

The technology to capture that methane and use it exists (the Norwegian company Statoil has done a good job in that department). But, since the reasons to do methane capture in the fracking fields are more environmental than financial, we are in the awkward position of trying to make up new environmental rules to deal with all of this new, boom-related methane.

Last week, a League of Superfriends-style alliance of environmental organizations sent a letter to the president, inquiring as to the whereabouts of the methane rules proposed earlier this year:

"Your March 2014 Strategy to Reduce Methane Emissions announced that the Environmental Protection Agency will decide by this fall how best to reduce pollution from the oil and gas sector. The Strategy built on the commitment in your 2012 State of the Union Address that development of oil and gas resources must not put Americans’ health and safety at risk."

Which is a somewhat restrained way of saying, “It’s fall! You promised us methane regulations!! Where are our methane regulations???”

Colorado already became the first state to regulate methane emissions this February, after Denver’s ozone levels went through the roof. Colorado’s regulations were drawn up collaboratively by the state’s largest oil and gas producers and the Environmental Defense Fund, then won approval from the Colorado Air Quality Control Commission.

They may have been the best possible regulations under the circumstances, but they have the same weakness that bedevils those who have sought to enforce the Clean Air Act and the Clean Water Act since they were created: They rely too much on self-reporting from the industries themselves.

The federal regulations, when they do arrive, will probably be similar. But in the meantime, we can let our imaginations run wild. If only we could roll-out a country-wide fleet of methane-sniffing vehicles — something like a collaboration between the Environmental Defense Fund and Google Street View. If only we could arrest the most egregious of the subway farters and place them in the kindest and most progressive of mandatory gastric rehabilitation programs.

New methane rules, you cannot come too soon.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 07:42 AM

Increase in People, increase in Industrialization =

Five Years, 2,000 Scientists and How Do You Wake People Up to Climate Change?

"The U.S. and European Union are pushing for a stronger explanation about the dangers of climate change and the consequences of failing to stem fossil-fuel emissions in the UN’s most extensive report on global warming."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-22/climate-envoys-seek...

methane is one of many factors which the human population on this planet impacts ... and mostly negatively, not positively for the planet ...

individual wants opposed to needs is a tough one to deal with through science :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 10-23-2014 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 10-23-2014 by wessongroup]

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 08:42 AM

.....interesting follow-up to the OP....time for more deflections from the dino(saur) clowns :rolleyes:

dtbushpilot---''Walk away David, it's not worth it....''
............... ... ....yes indeed,,,when will it be time to stop fracking around,,open your eyes,,,and become part of the solution.....rather than actively working to convince folks that it's 'jobs and prosperity' as usual......the longer -you- take,,the more difficult it will be for our grandchildren :no::wow::(
Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
California’s Dwindling Water Supply Is Contaminated, and More

Oct 22, 2014 Posted by Casey Coates Danson

[Translate]Video Report VIA TRUTHOUT

In today’s On the News segment: The last thing Californians needed was to learn that some of their dwindling water supply has been contaminated; last week, a lab official pleaded guilty to conspiracy to violate the Clean Water Act; the Nuclear Regulatory Commission is considering whether to extend Diablo Canyon’s operating license for another 20 years; and more.

TRANSCRIPT :

You need to know this. California is already dealing with the worst drought in that state’s history. So, the last thing residents needed was to learn that some of their dwindling water supply has been contaminated. Back in June, California regulators shut down 11 fracking injection wells after finding that wastewater may have contaminated aquifers. The Environmental Protection Agency ordered the state to send a full report, which the California State Water Resources Board turned in earlier this month. The board confirmed that at least nine of the fracking sites in question were dumping waste into aquifers used for drinking water and farm irrigation. The Center for Biological Diversity obtained a copy of the letter that the board sent to the EPA, which revealed some alarming information. That letter said about three billion gallons of fracking wastewater was pumped into injection wells and seeped into aquifers near the center of that state. Water samples taken from these areas have extremely high levels of carcinogens and toxins like thallium and arsenic. Timothy Krantz of the University of Redlands, said, “The fact that high concentrations are showing up in multiple water wells close to wastewater injection sites raises major concerns about the health and safety of nearby residents.” Considering that many of California’s reservoirs are already sitting at about half of their historic average, that state can’t afford to lose access to any of their drinking water. But, thanks to the fossil fuel industry, residents may have to risk consuming dangerous chemicals or risk going thirsty. This is exactly why they can’t be trusted. It’s time for a complete moratorium on natural gas drilling, and time to end our addiction to fossil fuels.

[Edited on 10-23-2014 by micah202]
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.