chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 10-16-2014 at 05:17 AM

ELKBURGER!

Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2014 at 08:26 AM

Considering how much money the Feds printed to provide liquidity to the system, the dollar becoming stronger is a worrisome sign.

It is natural that the stocks are declining since less money being printed and pumped into the system, but so many big investors buying treasury notes yielding less than 2% is a bigger sign of problems to come.

The Feds are preparing for the China shoe to drop......

Make it a Great Day!!
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2014 at 10:11 AM

Europe is pretty weak with potential threats of some economies experiencing 'deflation', China's decelerating economy doesn't help, and if Ebola becomes a pandemic, GDPs all over the place will drop.

I've been thinking right along that the stock market has been rather inflated as it is. Everyone invested in the market has been swooning over their recent gains, now everyone is looking wide eyed and worried. Never liked stocks; too capricious, unpredictable, and illogical in its behaviors; have always felt that real estate income property is a better investment, but you have to be comfortable with property management.

[Edited on 10-16-2014 by MitchMan]
WhackAMolE
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2014 at 12:11 PM

What's weird is that the casas de cambios in San Ysidro pay far less than the going rate. And the ones in Ensenada are even worse. The Compra is about 12.70 in Ensenada even with the "official" rate above 13.40.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 10-17-2014 at 01:30 PM

The peso is linked to oil and as long as oil declines, especially below $80 a barrel, the peso will suffer.....

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2014 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WhackAMolE
What's weird is that the casas de cambios in San Ysidro pay far less than the going rate. And the ones in Ensenada are even worse. The Compra is about 12.70 in Ensenada even with the "official" rate above 13.40.

The competitive Casas charge 2%, plus room for momentary fluctuation. They're in business to make a peso, so what else can they do?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2014 at 03:12 PM

2% plus a fluctuation of $0.06 MXN (6 centavos) comes to a 13.07 exchange rate on an "official" rate of 13.4. Therefore, casas de cambio charging 12.7 in these circumstances well exceeds 2% commission. 12.7 reflects at least a 5% commission/fee rate. It is what it is. In a market based capitalistic system, they can charge anything they want; I realize that. But, I make it a point to look thoroughly at competitors' rates and then only patronize those with the best rates. That's what buyers in a market based capitalistic system can do.

The best thing to do, and it isn't very difficult or time consuming, is to use pesos that you get from an ATM with a USA bank debit card where you do not have to pay any fees at all. With that approach, you can always get the internet rate (official rate) less about 6 centavos: Official rate = 13.4, ATM rate usually 13.34. I do it all the time, every time in La Paz.

But if you pay the 12.7 rate, you're losing $50 USA dollars for every $13,400 pesos you spend.

About 3 weeks ago I took a taxi from the Tijuana airport to the San Ysidro border. The taxi driver was asking for $18 USD. I said I would pay him $15. He came back with $17 USD or $200 pesos. I whipped out the $200 pesos and asked him for a receipt. When he handed me the receipt I told him that the going ATM rate was 13.35. He took out his calculator, did a computation, then he looked at me with a look of shock (200/13.35 =$14.98 USD) . He was saying that the rates at casas de cambio were 11.5. Then I said that is a bad rate and that the bank rates were much better...he may have known that, but he did take out his calculator to check his own math.

[Edited on 10-17-2014 by MitchMan]
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2014 at 07:13 PM

I got 12.98 in Mulege today around 10 am

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-17-2014 at 07:18 PM

russ; at least you could get INTO mulege!....count yer blessings....see ya at scotties soon.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
bajaspuds
Junior Nomad

Mood: dum spiro, spero

[*] posted on 10-17-2014 at 08:19 PM

So how does the falling peso affect the price of gas at the Pemex pump?

... dripping w/ chubasco sauce
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-17-2014 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaspuds

Probably gives Nieto incentive to keep raising prices.

I can't believe how far out of line the price of fuel in Mexico is. How do the locals afford it?

Supposedly, the gas subsidies were cut loose about 2-3 years ago and the price would rise to some semblance of a "market value".

Well, they've blasted way past that. I paid more than a dollar a gallon less in the States in September compared to the price of Mexican fuel.
greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 10-17-2014 at 09:16 PM

No comision

:)

ANUNCIATE AQUI
DISPONIBLE
INFORMES LLAMA SNOWBALL - 646-115-7754
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-17-2014 at 10:26 PM

Seems to me the peso has hovered just about the same for the last 3 years now (within 10-15%) which to me is a record stabilization in the years I've gone south. Not too long ago the 'sticker price' on items in the tiendas used to have 3 to 5 layers of price changes as the peso fluctuated. It was like pull-tab-roulette.... scratch a few off and hope the one you picked was the right color AND cheaper, too (j/k).

Also there's the fluctuation between going up when the touristas are coming south, and dropping when they're going home.... a natural occurrence. In the spring when all are migrating to their summer breeding grounds and want their dolares back from pesos the exchange rate falls, which makes more money for Mexico, que no? I'd love to see a true graph on the stabilization, up and down of the peso to the dollar from 2010 to 2014. This particular topic is more beaten to death than any other on BN.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2014 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaspuds

The price of gas goes up every month regardless of the money market. The only difference for us on a dollar income, is the bang for our buck which fluctuates daily.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2014 at 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I can't believe how far out of line the price of fuel in Mexico is. How do the locals afford it?

I'm convinced they have a well guarded member discount.
:lol:

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2014 at 09:11 AM

There are a great many things that affect the price at the pump. Of course, the global price of oil is a prominent factor, but there are many other factors that directly affect local gasoline prices such as short term supply and demand fluctuations (especially short term inventory fluctuations) together with location distribution cost differences.

Because gasoline is a necessity, the supply and demand affect on price is very different from commodities that have substitutes and/or are not necessities. That is, you can up the price of unique necessities and still sell nearly the same quantity of the item or produce and sell at a threshold quantity low enough where you can really up the price and still sell nearly the same quantity.

Economics 101: there is 'elastic' price demand and there is 'inelastic' price demand. Inelastic demand is for things like heart surgery, and all other necessities where there are few if any substitutes that exist and people will pay any price just about. Elastic supply and demand exists for things like butter vs margarine, beef vs pork, Ferraries Vs Toyota Corollas where changes in price will drive people to other similar products instead of paying the higher price or simply not buy the product because it is not a necessity.

Mexico may well up the price of gasoline in spite of lower global oil prices because it needs the revenue and because they can get it because of the 'inelasticity' of the supply and demand of gasoline. The Mexican federal government also changed the IVA sales tax (value added tax) in Baja from 10% to 16% recently...because it could.

Prices are not as connected to cost of production as most all people mistakenly think. Big business has almost everyone everywhere hoodwinked into believing that all prices are dictated by cost alone WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE.

[Edited on 10-18-2014 by MitchMan]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 07:21 AM

The fall continues:

Today: 14.57 to one

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 01:10 PM

Right now at 14.74.

For Nomads living in Baja, now is the time for big ticket items before prices adjust.

I'm looking for a standby generator. prefer Generac model 6438 11 KW.

Anyone know of suppliers in Baja?? or any advise how to get it here??

[Edited on 12-11-2014 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 01:50 PM

The Home Depots over here sell fairly large Generac generators. I dont know size or pricing. Of course it is cheaper in the States.

Since you are in Nopolo, you might find a trusting Nomad who will be down in La Paz for Xmas/NY and could be persuaded to drive one up for you from the HD in La Paz, on his way back home. If it was me, I would trust you to have the cash ready. But I am a trusting sort, when it comes to fronting money, and I've never been burned yet...........by a gringo. :biggrin:

Heck, there could be a way to do a bank to bank transfer from someone's US/Canadian bank to your US/Canadian bank and there would be no anxiety over the purchase.

BTW, the Canadian dollar has slipped below .87 cents/US dollar today. I believe the last two days, the looney has lost a half per cent in value each day.

Oil now BELOW 60 bucks a barrel for WTI crude. It's taking the looney and the peso down with it.

[Edited on 12-11-2014 by Hook]
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 03:42 PM

New car, new house , panga, appliances,tires, mistress its all good:light:

[Edited on 12-11-2014 by chippy]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.