Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: PESO IS GOING FOR A DOWNHILL RIDE TODAY
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 09:26 PM

Hit 14.8 today, then dropped back to finish at 14.77.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2014 at 05:46 AM

It breached 14.9 this AM. Still hovering around that figure. This is the highest it's been since March of 2009, when it did top 15/1.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2014 at 06:09 AM

This has a way of making me just a bit nervous. Although against the rules, we'll be seeing a lot of consumer goods, as well as service prices changing from peso to dollar.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 11:48 AM

After hitting 14.80 yesterday, the Peso is showing a bit of life:

14.53........to one.

24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 03:30 PM

We just purchased at BOA@ 13.77 which is the highest we have found here in Oregon.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 03:53 PM

Ya'll can look at the computer for currency conversion all you want the truth of the matter is what you actually get.

At the Bancomer ATM in Loreto yesterday I received 14.707 to the $.

Now for all you very wise men (and women) what should I do? I am having a wall built in a couple of weeks that will come to around 9,000 pesos.
Get the money now at 14.7 or hold out and try and get more in a couple of weeks?

I choose to go to Happy Hour and contemplate the current world currency market. Not.

How many of you think it will be higher than 14.7 and how many of you think it will be lower than 14.7 on December 31st?

Come on all you financial Einstein's, stick you neck out and give me your opinion. (Guess) :biggrin:

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 05:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

After hitting 14.80 yesterday, the Peso is showing a bit of life:

14.53........to one. [/rquote

If I may ask a dumb question, What or who controls the amount of pesos it takes to buy a U.S. Dollar ?

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
Salsa
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 09:25 PM

Have you ever heard of "supply and demand" ?

(With a little no lot of nudging by the government)

Don

[Edited on 12-18-2014 by Salsa]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2014 at 06:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by luv2fish
If I may ask a dumb question, What or who controls the amount of pesos it takes to buy a U.S. Dollar ?
[/rquote  

International money market.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/forex/10/international-...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Monetary_Market

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-18-2014 at 06:55 AM

So? If I go to a bank in mexico, with ONE dollar and change it for pesos, how much will I get if the IMM says 14.59???

coconaco
Nomad

Mood: respooled

[*] posted on 12-18-2014 at 10:03 AM

Not Tiburon, Angel Fish
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2014 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
posted by Dennis

Not a dumb question at all, Dennis. You would be surprised at the variety of answers you would get to that question from different so called experts.

The exchange rate for most all currencies is determined by a world wide market of buying and selling currencies. There are exchanges where the buying and selling takes place throughout the world. As such, mostly classical 'market forces' are at play (much of the time, but certainly not all the time) determine the price.

Market Prices for major currencies, and therefore the exchange rate (which is itself the 'market price') for pesos vs US dollars has both short term and long term factors that come into play. All those market factors are known as 'fundamentals'. There are a bunch of factors, but, the big picture factors are geopolitics, actual market things such as but not at all limited to 'supply and demand' for given currencies at given points in time, and the self-serving deliberate actions of money brokers and large players in the market. Those are the most difficult to predict as the large players can influence the market price at will for their own benefit. Often times the large players are the countries themselves.

I don't know the precise dynamics of the peso vs the US dollar, but I do see some indicators such as the effect of Mexico's dwindling oil production, the changing strength of the US dollar (it is getting stronger against many other currencies as well, e.g. the Euro), the US's strengthening economy Vs Mexicos' lesser strength, the price of gold, silver, and oil dropping.
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 05:56 PM

Peso hits 15.00 WOW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 06:09 AM

Howard, it's gonna trade in a range from probably 14.5 to 15 for a while, I expect. Oil prices arent going to suddenly rebound, excluding some MAJOR international incident. And this downturn in oil has resisted some international pressures, already. Mexico is a country heavily tied to the price of oil.

So, why not exchange a few dollars when it's above 14.7 and sit on them when it's below that? If you need them, and it's below 14.7, just go get them. Losing < 0.2 pesos per dollar ain't too bad.

Looks like 14.58, as I write.

Went to the cinema yesterday, to see Birdman (really enjoyed this wacky, very contemporary-Hollywood movie; incredible camera work, tremendous acting by the entire ensemble!). With my senior discount and dollars at 14.5, the movies in a really good, new theatre are 3.00 US. My wife and I were the ONLY people in there for the Sunday matinee. Spanish subtitles, English-speaking movies all the time over here.

Of course, a grande popcorn and a large coke are still about 5.50 US. They have figured out the American cinema pricing on snacks in a theatre.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 06:11 AM

Dennis, WTF did you do, here? :lol:

Howard, it's gonna trade in a range from probably 14.5 to 15 for a while, I expect. Oil prices arent going to suddenly rebound, excluding some MAJOR international incident. And this downturn in oil has resisted some international pressures, already. Mexico is a country heavily tied to the price of oil.

So, why not exchange a few dollars when it's above 14.7 and sit on them when it's below that? If you need them, and it's below 14.7, just go get them. Losing < 0.2 pesos per dollar ain't too bad.

Looks like 14.58, as I write.

Went to the cinema yesterday, to see Birdman (really enjoyed this wacky, very contemporary-Hollywood movie; incredible camera work, tremendous acting by the entire ensemble!). With my senior discount and dollars at 14.5, the movies in a really good, new theatre are 3.00 US. My wife and I were the ONLY people in there for the Sunday matinee. Spanish subtitles, English-speaking movies all the time over here.

Of course, a grande popcorn and a large coke are still about 5.50 US. They have figured out the American cinema pricing on snacks in a theatre.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 07:46 AM

That wasn't my question, Mitch. I can't figure out what happened here. It turned life into a side-bar.

ohhh well...if it doesn't get fixed, we can start a new thread.

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 12:49 PM

Howard, the dollar is projected to continue to get much stronger.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.