Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Highway 1
Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TecateRay
You should be okay if you are in San Diego on the 12th. The race starts Thursday morning 13 Nov. Hotels will be busy in the days preceding the race, but the traffic "insanity" is usually race day and the following few days. Keep an eye out for prerunner (practice/ reconnaissance) cars. There are a few highway sections the race will use and although they are supposed to stay within the speed limits some may be "in a hurry".

How is the pavement from San Juanico to Insurgentes? Are you already down there?

We arrived from the north on the middle road that leads to Campo Datil. Cars come and go to Insurgentes without any problem, but I did hear that there still might be some standing water in some arroyos. If your car has good clearance it is not a problem.

The hurricanes have gravely affected the quality of the surf by removing sand from the points. The wave still has great form and can be long, but it is very mushy at second point and breaks in the middle of the cove, not at the point. It will take some strong WNW swell events or perhaps the passage of time for the sand deposits to return. Right now Scorpion Bay is San Onofre South, with less exposure to swell....

I hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes by saying so.

[Edited on 10-26-2014 by Zola]

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr. Seuss

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
Zola
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 09:10 AM

PS: We love this place anyway for a million reasons, and I don't like it when the aggro rippers come out of the woodwork and try to spoil the vibe in the lineup, so for me the state of the surf is a mixed circumstance, but the wave at second point is not the same right now as it usually is.

Otherwise, the rule here remains the same: Everyone takes his or her turn. After you have ridden your wave, or missed it, you wait until the others in the lineup have gone. Then you get to go again. That is how surfing will save itself from itself. It's a much better way for everyone to surf.

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
Zola
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 07:59 PM

Karma obliges me to relate the following good news, after which I promise radio silence on the matter: The wave in SJ has already started to get much better and works just fine when there is more surf, which happened today, even if it will likely be better still when all of the sands return. Over and out!

Zola
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 11:47 PM

We traveled from San Ignacio to Tijuana yesterday. Overall, I have never seen the road in such good condition. They have completed much of the work in-between Colonet and Ensenada. The new road is a very well engineered, first-rate highway. (Baja is improving its roads while in the US the roads are falling into disrepair with minimal funding to maintain them properly, but that it another matter.)

There is a well-constructed detour south of Ensenada where they are completing this work. There were no hazardous sections.

Overall, the highway in BC is better than it is in BCS between Guerrero Negro and San Igancio, where it still lacks any shoulder. All of it is far better than it was ten years ago, which is when I first started driving it.

briantroy
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 03:12 AM

Great news.

These endless lands and unique waters are not simply soil and sea. These elements of earth and water are as much a part of me as my blood and organs. And the people that populate this corner of the world lift my spirit to heights that allow me to see what is truly important; The beauty of life. And that is the essential gift.
– B. Florez, Mission of Souls.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2014 at 10:57 AM

As of 12/12, the road was in generally very good shape from Tijuana to Vizcaino.

Some potholed areas right around Catavina, but nothing bad. There were also two dips on that section which are washed out and require slow passage.

Otherwise, no detours (other than the La Mision one), and no traffic. No hassle at the border or checkpoints, which was surprising considering we were towing a skiff full of stuff with a cover on it.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.