Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: achilles tendon
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 08:18 PM
achilles tendon

Has anybody had problems with a ruptured achilles tendon? I ruptured mine Sept.11th and received treatment the next day at Sharp and I am now in therapy Eveything I have read indicates a long curing process. I am 73
There is no pain and I am able to walk with an airboot

bacquito
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 08:48 PM

no advice, but good luck and fast recovery
Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 09:00 PM

Hola Bacquito,

Many years ago, I ruptured my achilles surfing at El Conejo. I was fortunate that the orthopedic surgeon of the San Diego Chargers performed the surgery. Long recovery but no problems since. I surf, run, bike. hike, climb etc no problems.

I was left with a big scar up my calf because the surgeon couldn't pull the two pieces back together to suture. So they took a piece of tendon from the upper portion of my achilles where it widens and spliced it into the gap. Like I said, long recovery but good to go.

All the best in your recovery.
Peace,
Aaron
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 09:10 PM

hey amigo....i don't think you actually "ruptured" your achilles, you "strained" it....if it was ruptured you would require a very complex surgery and wouldn't be able to put any weight on it for a long long time....take it easy and let it heal itself...i have strained mine on a couple of occassions in the past and it feels like it's ruptured but it's not...take it easy...at our age, nothing heals quickly.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
bacquito
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 08:35 AM

Thanks all for your comments, the Orthopedic surgeon did not operate so I hope all goes well.

bacquito
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 09:39 AM

Even after therapy is over remember to stretch it every morning.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 01:06 PM
Pop!... goes the tendon.

I feel your pain, bacquito…been there, done that too.

I pulled (ruptured) my left Achilles tendon when I was playing tennis on the Posada Conception court back in 1988. I had not warmed up before the match…a huge mistake. The tendon made a clear POP as I spun quickly to make a backhand. I went down like a Hefty bag full of minestrone.

I followed a visiting ‘sports medicine’ doctor’s advice and flew to San Diego for surgical repair and got myself into a leg cast for 4 months.

Some things we did around the house….

I already had a pair of crutches at the house, and so put them to good use.

My case was a break or ruptured tendon, but it seems like yours in a sprain…which is a better case scenario.
You can take some anti-imflammatory pills, and others for any pain… Advil, Aleve, or Motrin, will help with pain and swelling, but read the bottle first. Use of a Ace bandage is good, too..helps to compress the area and keep swelling down.

You could try using a heel lift in your shoe. That should help protect the tendon from further stretching. Practice stretching and strengthening exercises as recommended by your doctor. When my cast finally came off…I would stand leaning with both hands against a door and rocking myself up and down using only my feet…a great way to strengthen the injured parts.

Rest your leg. Avoid putting weight on your leg as best you can. Elevate it when you can. Relax…you’re not going to be running around anytime soon.

The most fun you can have with a leg cast…..artistic competitions!

And most important!...Pay good attention to your nurse's advice...

[Edited on 10-20-2014 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 01:27 PM

Do you know there is an association with Ciprofloxacin, a commonly used antibiotic and ruptured Achilles tendons?

http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/news/20080708/fda-warnin...
bacquito
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Do you know there is an association with Ciprofloxacin, a commonly used antibiotic and ruptured Achilles tendons?l

WOW, just prior to the rupture occuring I was taking Levofloxacin for an infection. I reviewed the data and it states that rupture of a tendon particularly the Achilles Tendon can occur.

bacquito
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 02:12 PM

Since you are particularly susceptible to that particular side effect of the fluoroquinolones, I suggest you look for an alternative antibiotic that can treat the infection next time.
bacquito
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 02:39 PM

I was walking on the beach Sept. 11th and heard a pop and felt a sharp pain. I went to the orthopedic doctor in San Diego and he said I had a ruptured Achilles tendon. He put me into a cast for two weeks and then transfered me to a Aircast walking boot. At the present I still have the boot on. I do receive therapy. I spend greater than 90% of my time seated, relaxed.
I chose not to have an operation and the doctor agreed. I feel I have a partial rupture. An operation has greater risk of infection and I read something about the condition of the skin in the heel area, also I am 73.
Dr. Ensenada makes a good point about medications. Read the label and pay attention to side affects.

bacquito
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 02:50 PM

Quote:
Do you know there is an association with Ciprofloxacin, a commonly used antibiotic and ruptured Achilles tendons?

Thanks for the heads up on that Doc. That information might save some of us some nasty discomfort down the line.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 03:15 PM

You are welcome. I am here to help and tell a bad joke once in a while!!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 06:29 PM

I ruptured my achilles tendon at the age of 30 while playing pickup basketball. Just a pop and not really that much pain or swelling.

Went to Kaiser and was told that no surgery was necessary, the two ends were close together and would heal together on their own, they said. Then went to Dr Dillingham, later team physician for 49ers, who asked me if I wanted to lead the active life that I had led up til then - basketball, volleyball, etc. If you do then he advised surgery.

I followed his advice and less than 6 months later it was as though nothing had ever happened. No limp. Able to quickly accelerate and cut side to side. It's been forty years and have never had an issue with it again.

The torn ACL was another matter.

The cipro/achilles_rupture connection seems suspect to me.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 07:16 PM

How I first found out about it was about a year and a half ago studying for the US Medical Boards. It was a board question, evidently it was given enough weight to be put on the exam questions. It is a well documented connection. Do your research. Yes there are other reasons, such as extreme athletic activity but I don't think Bacquito has been playing strenuous sports. In the absence of heavy exercise or activity, it is plausible and proven by studies. The idea that cipro and a ruptured tendon is not the idea that I came up with.
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I ruptured my achilles tendon at the age of 30 while playing pickup basketball. Just a pop and not really that much pain or swelling.

Went to Kaiser and was told that no surgery was necessary, the two ends were close together and would heal together on their own, they said. Then went to Dr Dillingham, later team physician for 49ers, who asked me if I wanted to lead the active life that I had led up til then - basketball, volleyball, etc. If you do then he advised surgery.

I followed his advice and less than 6 months later it was as though nothing had ever happened. No limp. Able to quickly accelerate and cut side to side. It's been forty years and have never had an issue with it again.

[Edited on 10-21-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 07:32 PM

Quote:
How I first found out about it was about a year and a half ago studying for the US Medical Boards. It was a board question, evidently it was given enough weight to be put on the exam questions. It is a well documented connection. Do your research. Yes there are other reasons, such as extreme athletic activity but I don't think Bacquito has been playing strenuous sports. In the absence of heavy exercise or activity, it is plausible and proven by studies. It is not my idea that I came up with.
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

Okay, I give. Please tell me what "it" is?

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 07:50 PM

"It" refers to the association between Fluoroquinolones and tendon rupture.

Here is another article describing the association between the medication and the effect on the musculoskeletal system.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2921747/

[Edited on 10-21-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 08:09 PM

Really a good reminder to stretch before exercise.
Always do your wrist and elbow stretch exercises before baja binge drinking. Could be dangerous otherwise
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 11:09 PM

Good point Tio.

A lot of people think that achilles are ruptured in the manner we see football on the telly. Bodies hurled at one another and legs mangled beneath. But it's usually not like that at all. I was shooting free throws, missed one, and made a step forward to get my own rebound. I felt a pop and the foot just sort of hung there. You can't step forward any longer. The entire leg needs to be moved. I didn't even think it was serious and was reluctant to see a doctor. A buddy of mine had the exact same think happen while stepping into a stroke in racquetball.

Stretching would have prevented it but back then none of us stretched.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 11:12 AM

Have pulled or stretched an achilles tendon a time or two, don't recall what I did to cause it, but the pain is something I won't forget.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.