Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vet Pet form in San Diego
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 07:18 AM
Vet Pet form in San Diego

I remember reading some time ago that someone new of a Vet in the San Diego area to get a dog form for travel into MX??
bajaspuds
Junior Nomad

Mood: dum spiro, spero

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 01:22 PM

I didn't know about the vaccination and check-up requirement, I thought current tags would be enough, if anybody ever asked. But I have been back and forth across the border three times on Baja trips this summer and fall. Plenty of times before too. No official on either side of the border has ever mentioned the dog, and he's too big to go unnoticed.

But it is a requirement, so I found this online primer on the topic: http://ramblecrunch.com/2012/08/driving-to-mexico-with-your-...

this has a downloadable form:
https://sdcvma.org/pet-health-certificates

And Chula Vista vet Dr. Keith Hilinski says online that he is a USDA accredited veterinarian, needed for the required form. http://www.rollinghillspet.com

[Edited on 10-20-2014 by bajaspuds]

[Edited on 10-20-2014 by bajaspuds]

... dripping w/ chubasco sauce
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 01:23 PM

We cross frequently with our dogs. We always carry copies of their current shot record, and the international health certificate that is issued by our vet. You can probably get everything you need from your vet in Colorado since they will already have your dog's medical history on file.

bajaspuds
Junior Nomad

Mood: dum spiro, spero

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 05:50 AM

I also found this at BajaInsider.com:

"Pets must be caged or restrained when in a passenger vehicle. It will be applied as an 'add-on' ticket. The fine is about $2000 pesos."

Another law they apparently do not enforce, but could, I guess.

... dripping w/ chubasco sauce
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 08:40 AM

I've been crossing the border with dogs for 50 years and never once had anyone Mexican or American ask for a certificate for the dog. You would have to have one very mangy mutt to get the attention of a Mexican inspector.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 11:01 AM

These are my thoughts on the topic and should not in any way be interpreted as a recommendation not to follow the rules of the US or MX.

Our experience has been the same larry. If you are flying commercial it is a different story, you need the international health certificate. We got them the first few times we traveled by car with the animals (2 dogs and 2 cats) but it was expensive (around $100 in the US, $40 in MX) each for 4 animals and no one ever asked for them. We keep current shot records with us and have never been asked for those either. Keep in mind that MX only recognizes 1 year for the rabies shot regardless of the US requirement. They are in plain sight at the border, the only question I've ever been asked was what is in the pet carriers.
The soldiers at the checkpoints ask if the dog bites, I usually say "maybe".

My feeling is that if they want the certificates I will have to stay on whatever side of the border I'm on until I can find a vet and get them. Hopefully it will be as simple as that and not involve an animal quarantine of some sort.

Also, the health certificate has to have been issued within the last 10 days (I think) before travel.

[Edited on 10-22-2014 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
briantroy
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 11:06 AM

I have had the same experience as those above. I was always too afraid to bring my dog because of legal issues, but after crossing many times with my buddy and his dog, and no questioned asked, I started doing it. I have been doing it for the past five years and never had a single issue.

These endless lands and unique waters are not simply soil and sea. These elements of earth and water are as much a part of me as my blood and organs. And the people that populate this corner of the world lift my spirit to heights that allow me to see what is truly important; The beauty of life. And that is the essential gift.
– B. Florez, Mission of Souls.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 04:30 PM

In my travels it has been more of an issue bringing dogs out of Mexico and the US agents at the border wanting to see papers. I have been asked only twice, and as I reached to get the papers, was told "don't worry about it." Still....I always have them with me every time I go south just in case I get asked.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.