Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Short But Good Motorcycle Ride
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 10:18 AM
Short But Good Motorcycle Ride

Been feeling the need for a Baja ride and since, as I mentioned in another post, this month marks 40 years since I first rolled into Mulege it just seemed appropriate to saddle up and hit the road. Since I was riding alone and wouldn't be doing back roads it seemed sensible to ride my gsx1100g street bike but concern about possibly rough highway conditions (unwarranted BTW) made me chose my old workhorse '91 KLR650. I'm 300 miles north of San Diego so about 1000 miles to Mulege. I rode to Ensenada then a long day to Guerrero Negro. Stopped at San Jacinto since I hadn't been out to Shipwreck for many years and then stopped at Los Ancianos where I chatted with Jose Luis and left a small donation. Next stop was El Rosario where I visited with Antonio at Baja Cactus and saw the new freshly painted fire engine. Very impressive. Because of those stops I had to ride in the dark the last 50 or so miles to GN testing my new LED headlight which is a good upgrade. Next day on to Mulege with stops in San Ignacio and Santa Rosalia. Pulled into the courtyard of the Hacienda just like 40 years ago and then spent 2 days checking in with old friends in town and at Santispac.

After 2 days in Mulege I started north and at Vizcaino took a left and headed for Asuncion. Stopped by Juan and Shari's unannounced but found them at home and arranged to spend a night there. Shari quickly prepared a sashimi plate with tuna Juan had caught that morning. Her special sauce and a little wasabi, just outstanding!

I first met Juan and Shari when I house sat for them Semana Santa 2007. At that time the footings had been poured for the new rock rooms. Two years later Kathy and I were among the first guests to use the first rock room and were very impressed by Juan's rock work and just the overall quality of the room. This time I stayed in the new downstairs room with great views west and north. Shari has furnished the rooms very nicely and I can't say enough good things about how their place has changed and the quality of their hospitality. I am happy to count them among my Baja amigos and this all too short visit was the highlight of the trip.

Next day I again headed north and did a long day all the way to San Felipe by way of Coco's and Gonzaga. Road from Chapala to Coco's is just rough enough to be fun and to test my suspension upgrades. Coco seems in good health and spirits. I then did a brief stop at Alfonsina's and continued to San Felipe. I was a bit tired out from the long day, quickly found a room and walked to the nearest place for a little chow. That was Saturday evening and the malecon was very busy and lots of mostly Mexican families.

A little breakfast Sunday morning and again headed north then across to Ensenada. That is a favorite ride with the great scenery and varied terrain. A quick lunch in El Sauzal and then decided to cross at Tijuana despite it being Sunday afternoon. Border traffic was backed up a bit but with the bike I was able to get through in 20 or so minutes. A night at a buddy's house in San Diego and then home to Arroyo Grande on Monday. Total trip was only 9 days and I put another 2500 miles on the old bike which once again ran perfectly.

Sometimes a guy just has to take a ride!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 10:40 AM

Thanks Kurt, any pictures?

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Thanks Kurt, any pictures?

Didn't even carry a camera this trip, Shari did take one in front of their place so perhaps she will post it.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 12:02 PM

It was such a nice surprise to see Kurt again. Another couple are in our campground that were our first guests in 2006 too. It is great to hear how our early guests love what we have done the past few years. Progress seems so slow when we see it day to day but it really hits home when people show up who havent seen some of our new rooms. Kurt, you looked 10 years younger amigo...I am so glad you are healthy and happy these days and we look forward to having you house sit again this spring if you can swing it...ride safe amigo!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 01:23 PM

Kurt, great report! Have you taken the gsx to baja before? Was curious because I have a similar weighted bike and have wondered how it would do on the unpaved roads, especially gonzaga bay to hwy 1. Do you have a fairing or any addl weight on the bike? Have only ever ridden an enduro in baja.

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Camote
Kurt, great report! Have you taken the gsx to baja before? Was curious because I have a similar weighted bike and have wondered how it would do on the unpaved roads, especially gonzaga bay to hwy 1. Do you have a fairing or any addl weight on the bike? Have only ever ridden an enduro in baja.

I would not consider riding a street bike of that size between Gonzaga and Chapala. It is just too rough. The gsx sees an occasional hard packed dirt road but for me it is strictly a highway bike. OTOH, back in the 80's I had a GS850g that saw a lot of dirt roads, it was foolish to do so but I was younger and that bike quite a bit lighter.
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Kurt, you looked 10 years younger amigo...

Thanks for that, but after all I am only 70! I plan to continue to be one of the older guys riding Baja back roads for another decade or so.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 08:42 AM

Sounds like a good time. Thanks for taking us along.

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 08:43 AM

Kurt you are looking great amigo! That OJ at Santa María mission really did the trick! :lol:

Thanks for the trip report!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 08:44 AM

Riding keeps you young and fit as you show here. Thanks for the report and keep it up.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 10:38 AM

Kurt,
Thanks for the RR....while I am only 63, I hope to enjoy Baja riding for some more years as well...

Last year I spent a week in Asuncion and found enough roads to keep me entertained....hard pack washboard and sandy coastal trails....and some exploring off the highway from Vizcaino in a few areas.

A few years ago I explored the flat desert area between the Asuncion-Vizcaino highway up to Guererro.....felt like I was in the Sahara....lotsa fun with occasional pucker moments :biggrin: :cool:

Ride On, Kurt

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 10:49 AM

Badazz !! Nice ride :)
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:

Thanks for that, but after all I am only 70! I plan to continue to be one of the older guys riding Baja back roads for another decade or so.

Well, take care of yourself because currently they say we will only live to 83 years. But your smile in the picture looks sincerely happy and me thinks you will last well beyond the average.

I ride my Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 nearly everyday. Put 32,000 miles on it in 2 years.
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 11:55 AM

Hey guys, new to the forum and wanted to start by saying what an awesome collection of people that share a love for Baja.

Kurt, the road between Coco's and the 1, you said was rough in spots, is it passable in a 2WD truck with a camper on it? How about a small motorhome?

Thanks for sharing! My fiancé and I are headed down on the 5th of Nov. for three weeks, going to wander between the border and Cabo Pulmo, really excited about it.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:

Well, take care of yourself because currently they say we will only live to 83 years. But your smile in the picture looks sincerely happy and me thinks you will last well beyond the average.

I ride my Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 nearly everyday. Put 32,000 miles on it in 2 years.

KurtG, bajalearner... you're men after my own heart. I love riding and have made that Baja trip along with some others. My last ride was also a Kawasaki Vulcan, but it was a smaller 750. In the early 90's I went into a bike shop, bought that Vulcan, packed a small bag...and rode from ND to Seattle to Oregon Coast to San Diego and on to my place in Coyote Bay...about 3600 miles..and back. I still ache in places I won't mention, but I wouldn't trade that trip for anything.

Thanks for a great post. Keep riding and having fun.

VULCAN ND-BAJA TRIP 1991.jpg - 50kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
güéribo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 12:49 PM

Of all the posts on Nomad, I like the trip reports the best. Thanks for taking the time to write. It lets us all ride along with you, and brings back good memories of our own trips.
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WestyWanderer
Hey guys, new to the forum and wanted to start by saying what an awesome collection of people that share a love for Baja.

Kurt, the road between Coco's and the 1, you said was rough in spots, is it passable in a 2WD truck with a camper on it? How about a small motorhome?

Thanks for sharing! My fiancé and I are headed down on the 5th of Nov. for three weeks, going to wander between the border and Cabo Pulmo, really excited about it.

It would certainly be very slow going with a p/u camper and personally I would not drive a motorhome of any size but it is certainly possible if you can deal with taking a couple of hours to do the last 12 miles.
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

KurtG, bajalearner... you're men after my own heart. I love riding and have made that Baja trip along with some others. My last ride was also a Kawasaki Vulcan, but it was a smaller 750. In the early 90's I went into a bike shop, bought that Vulcan, packed a small bag...and rode from ND to Seattle to Oregon Coast to San Diego and on to my place in Coyote Bay...about 3600 miles..and back. I still ache in places I won't mention, but I wouldn't trade that trip for anything.

Thanks for a great post. Keep riding and having fun.

Roger,
I thought of you as I was at Coyote last week. Aren't too many of us left who were around Mulege in the early 70's.

Hope you are doing well.
Kurt
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 04:45 PM

Thanks so much Kurt for the quick reply and the heads up, we will be posting pictures of our trip when we get back!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.