BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Quintin flood control?
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 08:20 PM
San Quintin flood control?

Have stumbled upon this, linked from Mia forum:

Hay que encausar el arroyo - see the 2nd article.

As I could understand with my "muy malo Espanol", they are talking about controlling or re-routing the big arroyo in BOLA - so far it's just a talk, of course. They are referring to some successful project near San Quntin. Can anybody tell more about S.Quintin - is there a dam, or canal, or what?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Have stumbled upon this, linked from Mia forum:

Hay que encausar el arroyo - see the 2nd article.

As I could understand with my "muy malo Espanol", they are talking about controlling or re-routing the big arroyo in BOLA - so far it's just a talk, of course. They are referring to some successful project near San Quntin. Can anybody tell more about S.Quintin - is there a dam, or canal, or what?

They said it would be like the river channel work at San Quintin's San Simon project. (That's the riverbed just north of the Los Pinos plant that is also called Arroyo Santa María)

Translated section:

"You have to channel the stream"

For the citizen Raúl Pérez Espinoza, 42 years living on the site, two things are necessary: to include the media to Bahia de Los Angeles in his notes on the weather, and that the relevant authorities will prosecute the creek.

"We know it is a big project that has to be handled at the federal level lot. Brook us this tragedy occurred, (so) in the future we will avoid such tragedies," he said.

The man asked the extent to Hirata Chico mayor Gilberto, who led a tour of the town during the weekend.

"I had spent but not of this dimension. This stream, dry river may well call it, comes from behind the mountains and joins with other tributaries and stormwater flow into the sea. An example is the one in San Simon, next to San Quintin.

"You see how indicted the creek there, that's what you should do here. This is a more ambitious project. However, there is the CNA (National Water Commission) but hopefully it can be done at the time with communication having Hirata (Chico) with the federal government. "

[Edited on 10-24-2014 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 12:10 PM

Thank you, David. Those machine translations can be terrible. I tried two, and they came up with "prosecute the arroyo" :)... I knew that the meaning was to "control" it somehow, but none came up with "channel the arroyo".
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 12:51 PM

most of the town and the airport is built on an alluvial fan, a flood zone. the drainage area is quite large, so cost of infrastructure to control flow would be large. i am guessing that the cost of engineering to protect from 100+ year floods is more than cost to move the town. so i propose they evaluate moving the town to north and south, out of the flood zones.

these large efforts to control rivers ruin the natural environment,... given the areas appeal as outdoor playground, why destroy the area with many square miles of grading that will destroy the natural desert and replace natural vegetation with weedy vegetation? some engineers will tell you they can replant natives, but that rarely works, once you grade the site weeds will take over, particularly in mexico where funds are limited.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Thank you, David. Those machine translations can be terrible. I tried two, and they came up with "prosecute the arroyo" :)... I knew that the meaning was to "control" it somehow, but none came up with "channel the arroyo".

his is a machine translation as well. Need to ask him what he uses if you like it.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 01:16 PM

Mtgoat, in case of BOLA, even though the drainage area is large, the source of flooding is mostly one arroyo next to the air strip. I'm not a geologist, but it appears that if they channel this arroyo to the sea, the problem will be (mostly) solved.

There isn't much desert area that would suffer from diverting the flood here. If you saw recent documentaries, it was the town that was flooded - not a desert. The stream went Southward from arroyo straight to town. Instead, it could go Eastward to the sea. With the stream diverted East, the desert surrounding the town would get its share of rain without being flooded. Also, the sea wouldn't get that much town garbage.

[Edited on 10-24-2014 by Alm]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Originally posted by Alm

his is a machine translation as well. Need to ask him what he uses if you like it.

Anytime I go to a Spanish text page, it automatically translates... I browse using Google Chrome. It is far from perfect, but enough words translated permits an understanding of the content, usually. Some words I know from Spanish classes all my school years and using Spanish in Baja or here with Spanish speakers.

[Edited on 10-25-2014 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 07:03 PM

Well, as I can see, G Chrome translated only the heading correctly, and then went on prosecuting and indicting the unfortunate arroyo :)

As browsers go, I've so got used to Mozilla Firefox that can't make myself turn to other browsers. Besides, don't like big monopolies.

[Edited on 10-25-2014 by Alm]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 07:11 PM

The bold text is the translation, I only changed one letter in it to correctly spell Quintin (it spelled it Quentin).

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.