BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  14
Author: Subject: 2015 Baja Pole Line Road 4x4 Run (April 4th, 5th, 6th - 2015)
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 09:50 AM

Great Video David. The first time we did it,Years ago.We went to visit Ralf to ask him,about ride to Mission.It was 3 in the afternoon.We asked him, (it was in Dec) If its only 13 miles dont we have plenty of time before dark.He said make sure your headlight works,It will be the longest 13 miles you have done. Last few miles back it did get dark.About the guy with 4x4 Chev Camper van.With out your picture,I would of said No way will he get out of there.Great job;)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 10:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Great Video David. The first time we did it,Years ago.We went to visit Ralf to ask him,about ride to Mission.It was 3 in the afternoon.We asked him, (it was in Dec) If its only 13 miles dont we have plenty of time before dark.He said make sure your headlight works,It will be the longest 13 miles you have done. Last few miles back it did get dark.About the guy with 4x4 Chev Camper van.With out your picture,I would of said No way will he get out of there.Great job;)

Not sure what video you saw, but hbmurphy did put a few up on YouTube from our 2010 trip.

The 13 miles from Ralph's to the mission would take at least 2 hours without stops, 2.5 is more realistic, however.

The guy with the Chevy Van Motorhome is Art, and his Nomad handle is 'edm1'. He amazed us all! For sure, we knew he would be the first to turn around, get stuck, break... NOT SO! While he did have a tire come off the rim (too low pressure), his rig was amazing and his driving skill as well.

CG (Dodge Dakota) was the first incident when one of his new tires got destroyed by a rock. Next was BajaTripper in the bog, as he had no lockers or traction control beyond the 4WD on his 4Runner... so he got pulled through the bog with its 2 ft. deep water. My bumper got snagged within eyesight of the mission on a steep gully.

On the way out, the next day, Neal Johns' heavy camper/Tacoma with tricked our rear differential, exploded (internally) and the front wheel drive alone was not powerful enough to pull him through the bog and up the Widowmaker or beyond... that turned into a LONG night... we all just slept in our trucks, about 8 miles from Santa Ynez, at 2 am.

Art had another tire issue just out of the bog and by using gasoline to blow the tire back onto the rim (a Mexican trick, I employed with success) we got him under way... and he pulled Neal up the mountain from there.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
We shall see... I want to go...
Ken planned this on Easter Sunday weekend, and that is a problem for us grandpas... and Baja Angle bought us tickets to Wonder-Con on Saturday (before realizing Ken's event was the same day).
The draw of Baja is very strong with me, as you know... but the worst weekend for family conflicts! Family comes first.

This weekend was better for those running the trail. Coincidentally, we last ran the Pole Line Road in 2013 on Easter weekend. Wonder-Con? Is that a comic book convention? Sell the tickets on Craigslist or 'gift' them to some friends - We're talking the Laguna Salada, the Pole Line Road, and RIO HARDY!

There are between 8-10 parties/vehicles going on this trip. We have a good Mexican food brunch planned in Progreso (Hwy 2), scenic 4WD driving, a good night camping and another along the Rio Hardy!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 02:32 PM

"Camping" along the Rio Hardy????? You might want to re-think that, Ken. I did that several times, and we were always overwhelmed by mosquitos--------possibly not a problem this time of year?!?!?!?!?

Just something to consider?!?!?!?

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 02:39 PM

Sounds great Ken... Elizabeth is not going no matter what, so if I do go, she will go to Wonder-Con with her daughter or son maybe. Yes, it is like Comic-Con, but none of the crowds... same vendors, etc. We both like sci-fi and action/adventure movies. Comic-Con is a gas, but wow, too many people!

Comic-Con 2014, San Diego...

and when not Iron Man... it's Tony Stark!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
"Camping" along the Rio Hardy????? You might want to re-think that, Ken. I did that several times, and we were always overwhelmed by mosquitos--------possibly not a problem this time of year?!?!?!?!?

Barry

They are going to Mick's place on Rio Hardy after the run... I will be going to find a conquistador from the 1540's!

Three leaders affiliated with the Coronado Expedition were able to reach the Colorado River. The first was Hernando de Alarcon, then Melchior Diaz and lastly Don Garcia Lopez de Card##as. Alarcons fleet was tasked to carry supplies and to establish contact with the main body of Coronados expedition, but was unable to do so because of the extreme distance to Cibola. He traveled up the Colorado river until the river entered the lower half of the Grand Canyon. In this exploration he hauled some supplies for Coronado, but eventually he buried them with a note in a bottle. Melchior Diaz was sent down from Cibola by Coronado to take charge of the camp of Corazones and to establish contact with the fleet. Soon after arriving at the camp he set out from the valley of Corazones in Sonora and traveled overland in a north/northwesterly direction until he arrived at the junction of the Colorado River and Gila River. There the local natives, probably the CocoMaricopa, told him that Alarcons sailors had buried supplies and left a note in a bottle. The supplies were retrieved and the note stated that Alarcons men had rowed up the river as far as they could, searching in vain for the Coronado expedition. They had given up and decided to return to their departure point because worms were eating holes in their ships. Diaz named the river the Firebrand (Tison) River because the natives used firebrands to keep their body warm in the winter. Diaz died on the trip back to the camp in the valley of the Corazones. Don Garcia Lopez de Card##as saw the Colorado River from the South Rim of the Grand Canyon while looking for a route that would connect them with Alarcon's fleet.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 02:57 PM

If it only 2.5 miles to mission,my memory fading.We made it there in 45min.Then to water pools past Mission.There where small fires all around us.It was great ride.Ralf told us to make sure when we came out to let him know we where Ok.We hotel-ed that night as we where riding from San Vicente all off road.Tired,wet, Hot food,hot shower good thing.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 03:02 PM

If it only 2.5 miles to mission,my memory fading.We made it there in 45min.Then to water pools past Mission.There where small fires all around us.It was great ride.Ralf told us to make sure when we came out to let him know we where Ok.We hotel-ed that night as we where riding from San Vicente all off road.Tired,wet, Hot food,hot shower good thing.

2.5 HOURS normal, fun off road rolling over the boulders. I say 3 from Santa Ynez, and you could do it in 2 if you just kept moving, or maybe less... but risk damage if you aren't careful.

EDIT: you said "riding", so on motorcycles? Different ball game... I am talking 4WD trucks... and mostly in low range... sometimes with lockers.

[Edited on 3-5-2015 by David K]

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 03:11 PM

Yes I understand your driving trucks.What that means is you guys are even crazier then us on Bikes.;)
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 03:55 PM

Yes I understand your driving trucks.What that means is you guys are even crazier then us on Bikes.;)

For fun, I took the Baja Grande group up to the swamp and back at night after dinner for a night run. 10 Jeeps looking for crazy action on the Mission Impossible trail. Yes! Verifiable crazy people!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 04:13 PM

Turn on your speakers and drive through the bog with hbmurphy and Zoom... hb (Paul) is in a 2009 Tacoma Off Road with an ARB front locker and Toyota rear locker. He is in the lead of our 6 car caravan... all got through on their own except the one vehicle without a locker, so he got a pull.

Here is the video coming down the Widowmaker (which is before the bog):

The next day, see Art and his motorhome CLIMB up the Widowmaker (it is exciting!)...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 04:22 PM
Viva El Widowmaker! Loco in a Lobo

See how the Mexicans do it... Funny watching the gear bounce out of their trucks... Fun times in La Baja! It's an honor that they have adopted the name I gave it in '99 after BajaMur and I spilled our blood on those rocks!!

and the fun continues...

[Edited on 3-5-2015 by David K]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 05:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

Barry

They are going to Mick's place on Rio Hardy after the run... I will be going to find a conquistador from the 1540's!

If you like, we could go in late November '15 - spend 4 days exploring 4 possible areas of where Francisco Coronado's party may have traveled. I'm suggesting this because it sounds like a trip specifically meant for Jeeps.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 06:07 PM

Perhaps... I want to at least drive up Arroyo Grande from the Pole Line Road crossing to see if I can find the geology Henderson described.

My target area is the bottom left after the big double bend in A, Grande.

MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 07:17 PM

Ken. Bill and I are thinking about staying out and doing the side trip with David k Will this mess up anyone wanting to stay here? I was also thinking it might be good to have two nights out.
David k, are you thinking your side trip would be just Monday returning Monday night or were you thinking more nights?
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 07:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MICK  
Ken. Bill and I are thinking about staying out and doing the side trip with David k Will this mess up anyone wanting to stay here? I was also thinking it might be good to have two nights out.
David k, are you thinking your side trip would be just Monday returning Monday night or were you thinking more nights?
Mick

Hi Mick,
As I am not 100% please don't change your plans or just be flexible as I try to.
I am thinking if I go, on the second day (Easter Sunday) when the Pole Line Road reaches Arroyo Grande (south of the wells, that are west of La Ventana) I would turn right... There was a steel cable blocking the way back in 2012 when I last tried to drive up. I do not know where Ken's caravan is planning on leaving the Pole Line Road to head to Hwy. 5... In the past they went way up to Ejido Saldana and then out to the sand dunes on Hwy. 5., and didn't get close to Arroyo Grande or La Ventana.

MICK
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 07:45 PM

I am very flexible. Just thinking now that a couple of nights out might be fun

Ok being here is fun to
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 08:14 PM
Options open

Mick and DK - I'll have time to spend another day or two as well.

Lets see how the trip works out.

John M
MICK
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 09:30 PM

When all else fails be spontaneous !!! I like it

Ok being here is fun to
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 10:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MICK  
When all else fails be spontaneous !!! I like it

Two nights sounds like fun. I return to work on that Tuesday. Let's see if Baja Angel approves this weekend. I'd like to keep the Conquistador helmet when I locate it.

Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.