BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  14
Author: Subject: 2015 Baja Pole Line Road 4x4 Run (April 4th, 5th, 6th - 2015)
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 08:05 PM
2 groups

Thanks for your interest, Brennan in our 2015 event. Keep us posted if you plan on being in the region so that we know to look for you on the morning of April 4th.

I will have plenty of time prior to the run, but I will only have up until Easter Monday to return home. So, setting up will not be a problem - just, returning will be a bit rushed for me.

That being said, the run will begin Saturday - April 4th, and continue through Sunday - April 5th. We will camp out a second night at the big wash at the close of the run. David K and Paul W plan to research the location of the Lost Diaz Grave the next day. I plan to cross the border, then drive home. Along the way, I will assist with the tow rig before completely leaving for Mexicali and the USA.

As for communications, I do not have a Race Radio - just a CB radio, hard-mounted in my Jeep. I will be carrying two 5 gallon gas cans, and I have on-board air for the tires.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 09:11 PM

Ken,
When we mate up I will loan you a hand held race radio and a mag mount. Communication after that will be good.
I understand Both my rigs in the states have CBs
Paul
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 09:51 PM

Thanks for use of the radio, Paul W. Will it help if I bring along some batteries? Let me know, and I can bring some for the trip.

Even though this run is 5 months away, it sure is fun planning and talking about the fun we'll have looking at the Suzuki, taking pictures!!

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 07:01 AM

Batts not needed. Handhelds have lion batts and I will provide the 12v charger that will top the thing off overnight or while driving. Our last usage indicates radio is good for 10 hours with my gabby wife. We use a pair to communicate for our two vehicle drive from CO to San Felipe.
Paul
======
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Thanks for use of the radio, Paul W. Will it help if I bring along some batteries? Let me know, and I can bring some for the trip.

Even though this run is 5 months away, it sure is fun planning and talking about the fun we'll have looking at the Suzuki, taking pictures!!
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 07:03 AM

what suzuki? what am I missing?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ehall
what suzuki? what am I missing?

I think on one of Ken's runs in there, they came across a Samuri wrecked, and they made into some kind of shrine. A goat may have been sacrificed? :lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 01:04 PM

Jan 2014
The Zuk appears to have all it parts although they are in a very compressed state. It lies about 5-10' above the wash bed at: 31 35.42043 -115 24.61807
If you look on GE you can see where it came from over the cliffs.
Cliff: I could not drive to the cliff so here is where I turned around
31 35.22603, -115 25.13237

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 01:15 PM
PLR Track

I noticed that some have never done the trip so I decided to make the GPS track more complete with out screwups removed. And add the Borrego access per request.

Updated track corrections or updates:
1) West end Mx3 Km103 to summit instead of Km109. Now avoids all the new fences and gates. Nothing new for the old timers. THe 103 track is the traditional track to the summit via Jamau road.
2) After summit (NE side) to avoid really bad road option at the "Y". Yup - we did the trip in the dark and took the most difficult way going up from the east-NE.
3) Borrego to Arroyo Grande option. This leg is a really crappy race road.
The base track remains unchanged
If you have my previous version, please delete it.
If you want the track send me your email
Regards, Paul
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 09:00 PM

[Edited on 10-31-2014 by BajaNomad]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 09:16 PM

Ken, check you Photobucket upload size!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2014 at 07:20 AM

Thanks for the Gps track Paul. Now I need to get it copied and installed .
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2014 at 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Ken, check you Photobucket upload size!

I have the free Photobucket account. No size differentiation was provided.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2014 at 06:42 AM

When you click to upload the first time, click on the small gear symbol for upload options. See the first post in the Nomad Photo Gallery forum for examples.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2014 at 11:27 AM

Paul - you mention a washout and detour on my BajaPoleLineGroup page, but I am trying to figure out where and how bad that washout is?

Could this be the 'skateboard ramp' that we all drive down? Its very off-camber, but nobody has rolled their vehicles down it...yet. LOL

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2014 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Paul - you mention a washout and detour on my BajaPoleLineGroup page, but I am trying to figure out where and how bad that washout is?

Could this be the 'skateboard ramp' that we all drive down? Its very off-camber, but nobody has rolled their vehicles down it...yet. LOL

===
Probably that place? Nobody we were with wanted to take a chance. Looked to me that the track was completely gone. No need to try because several groups have since done the detour and it wont cause any delay at all.
lsclav55

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 05:14 PM

I will not be able to make the Easter trip due to family conflicts. I do want to take several of my SXS buddies on a trip like that. We have a place to stay in San Felipe on a Friday night. Trailer to Borrego Junction and off load SXS early Saturday morning, camp 1/2 way through the trip. Next day finish up at the Valle de Trinidad. Have some one meet us there with trailers and load up and head for home. We all carry extra fuel, belts, tools, spares, tire kits, winches, etc. Not our first rodeo. We may end up going in mid March. We will take pics and post current info.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 06:52 PM

Quote:

[Edited on 10-31-2014 by BajaNomad]

When I first saw this Suzuki Sami, it was in nearly drivable condition. Not by a longshot, now.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lsclav55
I will not be able to make the Easter trip due to family conflicts. I do want to take several of my SXS buddies on a trip like that. We have a place to stay in San Felipe on a Friday night. Trailer to Borrego Junction and off load SXS early Saturday morning, camp 1/2 way through the trip. Next day finish up at the Valle de Trinidad. Have some one meet us there with trailers and load up and head for home. We all carry extra fuel, belts, tools, spares, tire kits, winches, etc. Not our first rodeo. We may end up going in mid March. We will take pics and post current info.

Being this is my 2nd Marriage, I know all too well about family conflicts.:lol:

Keep Mama happy, and the whole family will be happy.:yes:

Post pictures if you go in Mid March - when the weather will be cooler and more comfortable.

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2015 at 09:13 PM

Mr Ken Cooke. Please check your messages.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 12:50 PM

Pole Line stickers were designed yesterday.

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.