Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Problem with trailer jacks rusting out
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2014 at 02:45 PM
Problem with trailer jacks rusting out

I seem to be replacing my trailer jack constantly due to freezing up and the handle breaking when I force it. Doesn't seem to matter if I spend $35 or $100. many times they don't even make it a year.
I WD40 the heck out of when I leave. maybe I should store the boat on a block and not the jack?
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2014 at 02:50 PM

Try grease, wd-40 is fairly ineffective in preventing rust.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-25-2014 at 02:52 PM

This is what I have. But your trailer must be in good enough shape to have the "cap" welded on.

I cant imagine that it freezing up isnt due to immersion in salt water. Does your current jack go under when you launch and retrieve?

[Edited on 10-25-2014 by Hook]
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2014 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

I cant imagine that it freezing up isnt due to immersion in salt water. Does your current jack go under when you launch and retrieve?

[Edited on 10-25-2014 by Hook]

Yes, I use a launch wheel in the front so the entire trailer is under water.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2014 at 03:15 PM

Rinse it good with fresh water after each use.
Apply this.....it's tacky and gooey stuff. Spray on

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product...

Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2014 at 04:11 PM

Pry the top cap off and pour diesel down the tube, work the handle, it should break loose. It's worked for me. I do the diesel every month, no more problems. Bob
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 08:26 AM

Perfect, just take it off while launching and retrieving. I think the top winds have move travel than the side winders, right? Need all the vertical travel I can get for the launching wheel.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 08:30 AM

I better think about this, boat is 1000 miles away. Top wind may hit the winch stanchion. Better stay side-wind, same vertical travel anyway.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 08:48 AM

wash it down thoroughly with saltaway every single time and you'll reduce your issues....also use MARINE grease inside, not just regular grease.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 07:34 AM

Hey Santiago. Old thread but I'm bored this morning and don't want to go out and run yet! They don't understand our situation at Geckos. No one has enough water to wash down trailers. it is what it is. I just watch several sites on a regular basis and buy jacks and hitches when they go on sale. Usually last two or three years on the beach and then replace them. Power tools are a must! I love my battery powered impact wrench to bust off those rusty nuts and bolts.

[Edited on 5-10-2015 by Doug/Vamonos]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 08:50 AM

This is what the commercial fishermen in Alaska use:
http://www.fluid-film.com
It's lanolin based and much more effective as a rust inhibiter than WD40.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 09:11 AM

Ya, WD-40 was created for water displacement (hence WD in the name). If you had some bare metal that got wet you could spray it down with WD-40 and the water would get displaced so it wouldn't form rust. For example, you would use WD-40 (or a specialized form of it) to displace the water after parkerizing gun parts, for example.

It will evaporate, so it's not good for preventing rust. Just good for initial water displacement.

Bob Durrell
cliffh
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 09:55 AM

ATF in a spray bottle works great (auto trans fluid)
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 06:16 AM

A very knowledgable friend of mine that's involved in Baja Racing told me that spraying diesel fuel on rust prone areas will keep the rust from forming, and even eats away old rust. Clean it good and put diesel in a garden sprayer. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to test the theory on parts of the undercarriage of the car I use to drive on the beach and see how it works.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 06:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigWooo  
A very knowledgable friend of mine that's involved in Baja Racing told me that spraying diesel fuel on rust prone areas will keep the rust from forming, and even eats away old rust. Clean it good and put diesel in a garden sprayer. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to test the theory on parts of the undercarriage of the car I use to drive on the beach and see how it works.

I have done that under my F-350 with less than great results.:(

But it is cheap and easy.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 06:58 AM

Harbor freight usually has jacks on sale....I keep a spare around, when I put it on I buy another one so I always have one. I have been using the dual wheeled ones....Disposable..Nothing lasts very long in salt water

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.