Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Traffic fine in Tecate
JohnK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 10:21 AM
Traffic fine in Tecate

In Tecate yesterday, I got pulled over by a police officer on a motorcycle and "fined" on the spot for a traffic infraction. My Spanish isn't that good, but it sounded like I had entered or exited an intersection before two pedestrians had stepped onto the sidewalk. I don't know where this happened, but it was 1:15 PM and he pulled me over when I made the left turn onto the main 2-lane Garita road adjacent to the border fence. This was several hundred yards behind the end of the line. The officer, medium height, stocky and in his mid to late 30s, was exceedingly amiable and conversational. After a few minutes of banter, he asked to see my license. He described my infraction and indicated that a fine had to be paid. 900 pesos. My wife gasped, which seemed to rattle him. He explained how this could play out, I understood that it could be taken care of on the spot. I should say that I am completely unprepared for something like this and have no clue whatsoever about how to handle a matter like this. I haven't been in a situation like this since crossing a border in Western Africa in 1973. I dug the 900 out of my wallet, but he looked around and waved them back. Then he asked me to open my glove compartment. He pointed at the piece of paper on the top, which happened to be my registration. He didn't look at it when I gave it to him, just showed me with hand gestures that it should be folded, the bills put in the fold, and then given to him. This I did. He took the bills, and gave me my registration and license back. At no point was anything written down, no citation. He then asked me, repeatedly, if everything was OK. If I was happy. My wife and I assured him we were happy. Then he shook my hand. Then my wife's hand. I thought for a moment she wasn't going to do it, but she did. So he waved us on, with a smile, and we drove forward to the back of the line.
At no point did we feel threatened or badgered. Frankly just astonished. I suppose I should read up on the appropriate responses in a situation like this.
Strange times.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 11:17 AM

Congratulations, you just reinforced the stereotype that gringos are easy marks.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
JohnK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 12:01 PM

So - how would you have handled the situation?
nandopedal
Nomad

Mood: Negra Modelo

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 12:01 PM

Hi John, there is plenty of info on this board about what to do, do a search on traffic fines specially in TKT.

\"There are many dangers in Baja. The most serious of which is not going.\" Christophe Noel (EXPO)
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 12:18 PM

call his bluff and say lets go to the station, without giving him your documents... some people keep old drivers licenses in their car to hand them in case he boogies off with them in hand... then if he actually makes you get out of line, then he will at some point leave you.... then the worst that happens is that you have to get back at the end of the line...

And you could also hand him the "Sindicatura" card ... thats like holy water and a crucifix to a vampire !!!!

Alan from San Diego

[Edited on 10-27-2014 by DawnPatrol]
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 12:19 PM

John, it is a rattling experience no doubt. Unfortunately it has happened to a lot of us and after researching this board (and others) I have learned that unless you really have done something wrong, you need to politely but firmly refuse to pay any fines on the spot and offer to go to the police station to settle the matter. Usually that will cause the cop to realize that you know the "game" and he'll move on to another victim. It's not easy to do at first but you'll get the hang of it after a few times. I also never hand over my license, but instead keep it in my hand and only display the information for the cop to see. Some people bring a copy with them and only give that to the cop but I usually forget to bring a copy. I also speak only in English. It is definitely a game of chicken but will save you paying unnecessary morditas in the future.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DawnPatrol

And you could also hand him the "Sindicatura" card ...

Where/how do I get this "card" ?

I have downloaded the "apple w/ a bite" image a few years ago from this forum, but don't think this is "the card".

Don't believe everything you think....
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 12:31 PM
Report it

You should always report (in writing) to the Baja Director of Tourism, the mayor of Tecate, and the State Attorney General (although you broke the law when you paid him)

I also would research on line and purchase a video dash cam. Less expensive ($16-$25) can be had on Amazon.com. A better one can be purchased from here

http://shop.komando.com/the-komando-dual-lens-dash-cam-bundl...

Video evidence is hard to beat....and let them know you are recording

cj5orion
Nomad

Mood: time for a cervaza !!!

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by DawnPatrol

And you could also hand him the "Sindicatura" card ...

Where/how do I get this "card" ?

X 2 ? :?:

Home Remodels/Builds..Recession!
Gone BAJA BUILDIN/FISHIN !
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gallesram
John, it is a rattling experience no doubt. Unfortunately it has happened to a lot of us and after researching this board (and others) I have learned that unless you really have done something wrong, you need to politely but firmly refuse to pay any fines on the spot and offer to go to the police station to settle the matter.
Even if you have committed an infraction, you should still demand to go to the station, the multa is usually much less than the mordida. If everyone did that, maybe they'd start getting the idea that it's not worth the trouble to shake people down. If you are determined to pay a bribe, at least try and negotiate it down, take your time, start low balling him, if he insists on a higher amount, tell him you have plenty of time and you'd rather go to the station and pay the multa, time is on your side, the longer you delay, the more nervous he'll get, sometimes they'll give up if you suggest that you are going to mention to the commandante, that he wanted you to pay the "fine" to him.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 01:29 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=62999

And you might try this:

Tome nota de su nombre y número de placa. Gracias
(Please write down your name and badge number.)

Or you could take it a step further with this:

Tome nota de su nombre y número de placa. Quiero que el director estatal de turismo para saber lo que es un buen trabajo que está haciendo en la recolección de multas Gracias
(Please write down your name and badge number. I want the state director of tourism to know what a nice job you are doing in collecting fines Thank you)

[Edited on 10-27-2014 by bajaguy]

JohnK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 01:46 PM

Yeah, I guess I was a bit of a sap here. I'll try to approach the situation with a bit more street smarts if it happens again. I just found the whole thing astonishing. Yesterday was Sunday. Would the police station have been open for this type of business?
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 02:27 PM

This is the sticker I have on the back of my car; it has worked so far and I haven't been pulled over in several years:

I don't know if the police station is open on Sundays because as many times as I have asked to go there it has never happened. I have read of others going, however, so don't assume it won't happen. Just be patient and if he says the station is closed (which is likely), just tell him you have all day and can wait as long as necessary. There are so many other people to pick off that he'll realize you're not worth his time and he'll likely move on. At least that's been my experience.
A-OK
Nomad

Mood: faded

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 03:00 PM

This is what keeps the mordida wheels spinning. And you both shook his hand as he thanked you for being "OK" with being robbed by him?
Wow.
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 03:10 PM

Not everybody knows how the system works; we have all learned it the hard way. It's scary being pulled over by a police officer in a foreign country. I did the same thing the first time it happened to me; my family was in the car and the last thing I wanted was for me (or any of us) to go to jail. Having a forum like this to discuss these things is what helps educate people on what they can do.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 03:15 PM
Good info

http://www.las-gaviotas.com/Baja-Traffic-Tickets.htm

http://www.bajabound.com/before/driving/authorities.php

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
http://www.las-gaviotas.com/Baja-Traffic-Tickets.htm

http://www.bajabound.com/before/driving/authorities.php

I noticed that "not giving a pedestrian the right of way" is a 253 PESO fine. The OP would have saved quite a bit by going to the station even if he was guilty.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gallesram
This is the sticker I have on the back of my car; it has worked so far and I haven't been pulled over in several years:

I don't know if the police station is open on Sundays because as many times as I have asked to go there it has never happened. I have read of others going, however, so don't assume it won't happen. Just be patient and if he says the station is closed (which is likely), just tell him you have all day and can wait as long as necessary. There are so many other people to pick off that he'll realize you're not worth his time and he'll likely move on. At least that's been my experience.

what do the cops really think when they see this on your car?
i suspect it's offensive to the cops, and makes them more resolved to mess with you by catching you in any infraction no matter how trivial,...
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 04:02 PM

I guess you didn't see what I wrote: I haven't been pulled over once since I put this on my car 3 years ago. I frankly got sick and tired of being pulled over and this has worked; I'm not telling everyone to do it, just passing along what has worked for me. And I'm pretty offended being targeted for a mordita over and over, too.
JohnK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 04:15 PM

Gotta say, the handshaking thing was really weird. I wonder if they're aware of how alienating this is. I'm headed over to Norway on Wednesday for a couple of weeks of family and friends (I grew up there). If I were to mention this experience, which I'm not going to do, it would immediately put Baja and Mexico on people's no-go list.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.