BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: NOW needing to pay at the Bank for Visa at San Ysidro???
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 10:14 AM
NOW needing to pay at the Bank for Visa at San Ysidro???

Is this right?
I just heard from a friend that he went to San Ysidro to get his Visa and was told that he has to now pay at the bank???

WTF? I was just there in May and we paid the Immigration guy right there.... is this a new procedure?

If so it sucks as we like the previous 24/7 availabilty when we crossed.

Anyone purchase a Visa at San Ysidro very recently???

Alan from San Diego
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 10:20 AM

yes, you are supposed to pay at the bank next door. Easy process

DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 10:22 AM

do you know if its 24/7 ??? or regular bank hours?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 10:35 AM

In Mexico, the rules can change from day to day and person to person.

I also was given the choice to pay the INM officer or go to the bank window, next door. The INM had a cash box in their drawer to take the money.

Don't let the bureaucrats ruin your trip!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 12:09 PM

We have found that a prepaid FMM solves the bank issue. All typed up, ready to go, just a stamp and 180 days written in by immigration. Couple of minutes...
pbods

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 12:28 PM

How do you get a pre-paid FFM?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 12:34 PM

Join Discover Baja Travel Club (San Diego): http://discoverbaja.com or (and check to see if they still have them to seel) Vagabundos del Mar travel club (northern Calif.).

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pbods
How do you get a pre-paid FFM?

I have been using Discover Baja. Call and they will tell you how.Very convenient.
619-275-4225
800-727-2252
www.discoverbaja.com
bajaspuds
Junior Nomad

Mood: dum spiro, spero

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 12:38 PM

I went through TJ about a month ago and got a visa ... early a.m. ... the official took my 300 pesos, said dollars would be okay too [$25]. Very courteous and professional. Perhaps it was the early hour, but nothing else seemed open in the immigration offices area there, except the bathrooms. Maybe during regular business hours you have to use the bank ...

... dripping w/ chubasco sauce
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaspuds
I went through TJ about a month ago and got a visa ... early a.m. ... the official took my 300 pesos, said dollars would be okay too [$25]. Very courteous and professional. Perhaps it was the early hour, but nothing else seemed open in the immigration offices area there, except the bathrooms. Maybe during regular business hours you have to use the bank ...

Thank you!!!

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 12:42 PM

I paid first week of sept for fmm's and paid in the office...

I asked about bank...new rules to make it easier for the tourist

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DawnPatrol
do you know if its 24/7 ??? or regular bank hours?

yes, the bank is 24/7. There are also a few atms as well.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 01:27 PM

I fail to see how FMM prepaid through Discoverybaja with added service fee is better than paying to INM. Filling it takes only a couple of minutes.

To answer the OP question - yes, tourists have always been supposed to pay through the bank, and 99% of time they did. This is not NEW regulation. What is new is the recent tendency of INM to take the payment directly, bypassing the bank.
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
I fail to see how FMM prepaid through Discoverybaja with added service fee is better than paying to INM. Filling it takes only a couple of minutes.

I used to get mine through Discover Baja too but it really doesn't make any sense now since the bank office is right down the hall. Plus, Discover Baja charges about $10 extra per tourist card and $39 to become a member.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 05:13 PM

It removes just one possible hassle at the border... you still need to stop and get the entry stamp on your pre-paid FMM... but if they don't want to take the money (laughable) and the bank teller is closed... you will be good to go. This may be an issue at Tecate where the border is not open 24/7?

I have always paid at the border for the FMM or FM-T before it... after it was no longer free (mid-2000). That, and 9-11 increased border waits, and the sucky economy has really hurt Mexican tourism. No more crowds of Americans in San Felipe (or other spots) on holiday weekends like before 2000!

Sandlefoot
Nomad

Mood: Home

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 05:24 PM

The big reason to pay at the bank is that is the only way you will get a receipt! I had to fly out one time and did not have a receipt and the INM official said "No receipt, you did not pay!" I did not get a receipt because I got the FMM on the way in on the plane!!!! Took some "splannin" but we worked it out. Bottom line, if there is a snow balls chance you may need to fly out, get a receipt at the bank. I have yet to have the INM office offer one.

Just my experience, I am sure everyone else's is different!!!

Happy Trails

" Don't find fault, find a remedy; anyone can complain." Henry Ford

If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up to much space!

Just because it may not be a good idea does not mean it will not be fun!!!

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 05:32 PM

As in all things, Mexico...to each his own. We are members of Vagabundos, get our annual boat insurance and our annual auto insurance thru them. They also prepare our FMMs and we get them all typed up WITH a receipt from the bank. One stop for the stamp, and we are on our way. We also get the international health certificate for our dog. All of these avoid hassles that we have experienced in the past, An example, the 24 hour Immigration was not open as the guy failed to show up. Another time he was asleep and we had to bang on the window. Simply want an easy passage and the prepaid FMM does that for me.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 05:39 PM

right on, Jack! some folks want to go a cheap as possible, some folks realize time=money and spend both wisely.

to each their own......

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
All of these avoid hassles that we have experienced in the past, An example, the 24 hour Immigration was not open as the guy failed to show up. Another time he was asleep and we had to bang on the window. Simply want an easy passage and the prepaid FMM does that for me.

Having a prepaid FMM would not solve these two issues because you still have to have the immigration official at the border stamp your FMM cards.

[Edited on 10-29-2014 by Bob53]

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 06:19 PM

We simply stopped at Ensenada Immigration for the stamp. Was not an issue. We have also gone to La Paz immigration for the stamp, but prefer not to. Positive demeanor, friendliness pays off. Thing is, if something could go wrong, it probably will. Like insurance, hopefully never needed, yet nice to have it when you do. Again, to each his own....
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.