Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FMM card payment
K7BVT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 08:53 PM
FMM card payment

We plan on crossing at Tijuana. Does Mexican immigration office require pesos or will they take US$? Is California sales tax levied on the purchase of pesos in the state? We usually buy pesos in Ensenada. Old Chuck
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 07:12 AM

They accept pesos or dollars

In Memory of E-57
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 01:31 PM

Border agents and border banks accept dollars and pesos. In SY crossing there is also an ATM in the same building.

There is no "sales tax" in Ca for currency exchange. Very rarely some exchange office would charge a commission either. But, depending on where you buy pesos, exchange rate varies. You may or may not get a better rate in Ensenada than in San Diego or San Ysidro.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Border agents and border banks accept dollars and pesos. In SY crossing there is also an ATM in the same building.

There is no "sales tax" in Ca for currency exchange. Very rarely some exchange office would charge a commission either. But, depending on where you buy pesos, exchange rate varies. You may or may not get a better rate in Ensenada than in San Diego or San Ysidro.

Get ready to defend your blasphemous statements! :lol:
Seriously, I know this is true... but a few Nomads are not in the loop on facts, so they will contest your findings! I paid the INM officer and was told it didn't matter if I paid them or the bank window a few steps away. Same true in Tecate when the back window is closed, the INM officer told me they can now be paid during those hours. Of course, it is Mexico... and things may change.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Alm

Get ready to defend your blasphemous statements! :lol:
Seriously, I know this is true... but a few Nomads are not in the loop on facts, so they will contest your findings! I paid the INM officer and was told it didn't matter if I paid them or the bank window a few steps away. Same true in Tecate when the back window is closed, the INM officer told me they can now be paid during those hours. Of course, it is Mexico... and things may change.

And David I was told in December at Otay Mesa by a Mexican immigration officer that he could not accept a payment. I had to pay at the bank which was closed. He said I could go the the airport or to Chaparral.

Now why would this immigration officer make me go through all that trouble if he was legally able to take my money?

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
...I was told in December at Otay Mesa by a Mexican immigration officer that he could not accept a payment. I had to pay at the bank which was closed. He said I could go the the airport or to Chaparral.

Now why would this immigration officer make me go through all that trouble if he was legally able to take my money?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this was a simple matter of having or not having a cash drawer in his Otay INM booth. Different "officina", different furniture :)
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 06:10 AM

Bajaboy , like David said it's mexico and things change .... often :spingrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ligui
Bajaboy , like David said it's mexico and things change .... often :spingrin:

THIS!

Otay is not Tijuana or Tecate... Now we need to hear anyone who has asked at Mexicali! You must be flexible in Mexico!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

I paid the INM officer and was told it didn't matter if I paid them or the bank window a few steps away. Of course, it is Mexico... and things may change.

Glad you stuck the 'of course , it is Mex' in, we all know there is rarely
consistency in Mex. The San Felipe site, Kats Korner, has a current
few questions posed to the Mex Imm office the old Mexicali crossing, according to them, if the bank is closed, they issue the fmm with
stipulation you pay at the bank in SF, that seems iffy to me
So apparently, at least at that Imm office, they do not take the payment.

but as always, it depends to whom at Mex Imm you are dealing
with and on what day

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.