BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trusted mechanic to remove DPF filter, 2008 ford 6.4l?
BajaBusDriver

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 07:36 AM
Trusted mechanic to remove DPF filter, 2008 ford 6.4l?

Hello everyone. I have a 2008 ford with a 6.4l diesel. This model engine has a DPF filter that cleans itself periodically by going through a regen process. As near as I can tell, I don't trust it...

In the states there are lots of businesses staying busy removing these dpf filters. There is a lot of other stuff that must be done in addition to just removing the filter though, such as remapping the "ECU" computer (I probably have the acronym wrong). I've also been told that most people that remove the DPF filter also get another mod done that has something to do with the exhaust not being re routed back through the engine?

Obviously I don't understand the whole process entirely, but I've done a fair bit of research as well as been stranded on the side of the road in limp mode to know that this sounds like a pretty good option to me.

And now here's my question, finally. Does anyone know of a shop in baja (anywhere) that has done this, does this, will do this and can be trusted to do it right?

Many thanks in advance,

Rob
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 08:47 AM

Good luck with that.:lol:

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 06:48 PM

You are going to need to bring it up to Yuma or Phoenix. Fairly simple to do, but I wouldn't have it done in Baja unless you have a really good guy. BTW- Spartan Diesel tune and DpF delete on my 2008 6.4 with 180,000 miles and has been an incredible truck. Mileage has been 15 to 20 mpg and the tune I chose has 210 horsepower more than stock (560 horsepower) . Amazing truck to drive and never had a problem with it.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 07:23 PM

Isn't this a part of the emissions control system? If so, you probably aren't going to find a credible mechanic in the US that will remove it
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 07:30 PM

RTS-
It is part of the emission system. A very "green" piece of engineering as a result of EPA mandates.
This emission device is responsible for a 30-50 percent reduction in fuel economy and an engine life span approximately 1/2 of what is the norm when the system is disabled. Not all factory hardware is what's best for the end user or environment.
Many, many "credible" mechanics are well aware of the benefits to deleting this system.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
RTS-
It is part of the emission system. A very "green" piece of engineering as a result of EPA mandates.
This emission device is responsible for a 30-50 percent reduction in fuel economy and an engine life span approximately 1/2 of what is the norm when the system is disabled. Not all factory hardware is what's best for the end user or environment.
Many, many "credible" mechanics are well aware of the benefits to deleting this system.

The fact that it is against the law to remove it will keep a credible mechanic from doing so regardless of what he thinks about the device. would you risk your business?
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 07:58 PM

Think what you want-
And do what you may-

Bajabusdriver- you have credible options. And if you get the performance programmer, be careful not to break the law and risk getting points on your license when you realize how much power that engine is capable of with a few simple modifications.

I trust you will make the responsible decision! :)
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
RTS-

This is not a debate over EPA mandated devices. It is about the consequences of removing a device...ie how do you pass emission check, sell your vehicle etc. and how do you find a credible mechanic who will break the law and remove it.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 08:00 PM

This is about finding a mechanic in BaJA to do the work. Near impossible.... But easily done north of border.
BajaBusDriver

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 06:49 AM

Thanks Tioloco!

That is super helpful! I found a guy in grand junction colorado that does this all the time. The guy who towed my truck when it went into limp mode said they get all of their fleet of tow trucks deleted from this shop.

I'm planning on heading to baja on Saturday though and he couldn't get to it and have the parts until next week sometime. I just realized how valuable this modification is when I broke down a couple days ago, for no real reason.

FWIW, I live in a place that has no emissions control. If it wasn't such a matter of reliability, and the bonus of MUCH better fuel economy, I wouldn't be considering this, but...

Tioloco, do you happen to know of a good shop in Phoenix or Yuma?

Thanks for all of the responses.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 08:41 PM

watch this:

i love this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwdQA5ElpuQ&list=UUQz2vF...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.