Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Sushi Restaurant in Santa Rosalia
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 08:43 AM
New Sushi Restaurant in Santa Rosalia

The new restaurant is called: Yamai & Li Sushi Restaurant and is located across from the Coppel store or across from Roman Piso Y Acabos which is the best tile store in the area. The owners are Ricardo Diaz and his wife who also own the Killer Fumigaciones in Santa Rosalia. The menu is great and they have a wide variety of Japanese style dishes. We had the Miso Soup, Tiro soup, and some great Sushi rolls last night.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 09:00 AM

Thanks for the new sushi place tip, Pescador. That café looks great...clean and bright, like a sushi place should be. Another sign of the bustling new vigor brought to Santa Rosalia, thanks to the successful Boleo operation bringing so many changes. Another year or so and you won't be able to recognize the old town.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 09:03 AM

I bet that turns out to be a great location, as long as they have plenty of parking.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 10:22 AM

A good sushi restaurant is one of the things we miss the most, living in Mexico. And it's one of the first things we hit, when we go north.

My biggest complaint with virtually every sushi restaurant I have been to in Mexico is that the primary component in ALL the cut rolls is cream cheese. I mean, a Philadelphia Roll is a novelty on most good sushi restaurants. In Mexico, it is the go-to filler, along with white rice, in all of them. Nik-Sans is still the only sushi bar in Mexico that didnt do this; probably because of all the SoCal people that frequent Cabo. But I havent been there since the late 90s.

Hand rolls are rather rare, IME, in Mexican sushi restaurants, too.

Is this one any different, Jim? What sashimi was on the menu?
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 12:20 PM

Jeez, I thought I was the only one that did not like Cream Cheese. I have been able to get them to do whatever I want with a california roll. The other spicy rolls are great. Sashimi is crab, squid, octopus, yellowtail, salmon, and tuna. I had a good discussion that they need to add hot saki as well.

The Sushi place in Loreto had all of that and was wonderful. I suggested to the owner that next time he was in Loreto to check out the offerings.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 12:29 PM

Why is it that all asian restaurants seem to have aquariums as part of their decor?
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Why is it that all asian restaurants seem to have aquariums as part of their decor?
Why is it that almost all restaurants in Mexico seem to have TV's as part of their decor? Nothing worse than going out to dinner and having Sabado Gigante or some tele novela inflicted on you.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Why is it that almost all restaurants in Mexico seem to have TV's as part of their decor? Nothing worse than going out to dinner and having Sabado Gigante or some tele novela inflicted on you.

It's too help with digestion -

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 08:12 AM

Igor, I guess that soaps are the universal language. I could have seen that same thing in any language and the acting, plot, and depth would be about the same.
Whow, talk about a highjack.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 12:16 PM

Just back from a hard morning decoying wild geese and worked up an appetite. So..thinking about sushi, Ill try to get you back on track.

I have something to say about sushi, which I love. Naturally, whether or not this new place will become a success is up to the customers already in and coming to Sta. Rosalia. Now, whether or not the place will have good or maybe even great sushi is another thing. I hope it works out for the best. With all the fish in the Cortez, we need more sushi!

Those who are supposed to know...say the number one sushi bar in the world is near the train station in Tokyo. A place called Jiro's. Appeals to the jet set crowd and so on….plus Anthony Bordain. Me...I even relish the supermarket stuff. I don’t obsess about it, not a foodie.

Sushi

Some fun factoids for you… the word ‘sushi’ refers to just the rice, prepared with sweetened vinegar. It probably came about from using fermented rice to preserve fish. Raw fish by itself is called ‘sashimi’, an old Norwegian word meaning ‘too lazy to cook’. It seems women are not seen as sushi chefs because they are so hot-blooded and nothing ruins sushi like heat. In order to be a great sushi chef, one must have skill using a sharp knife to make those super thin slices of fish. Also paramount is choosing and properly preparing the right sushi rice, not just making rice balls. Eating with chopsticks is entirely up to the customer and fingers are allowed.

Far a successful business, and what will make him a good sushi chef, apart from the ingredients, is that he attends closely to his customers, notices what they like and dislike, makes special items according to their taste, slips in an expensive freebie occasionally, can spin some good yarns about fish or whatever, and generally makes everyone feel like they got a unique special snowflake experience. Something like Ray Lima did for us all at his La Habana Café.

We sincerely wish this new sushi bar great success. Viva Sushi!

p.s. We found Nemo.

finding_nemo.jpg - 23kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 04:02 PM

Great sushi restaurants have a loyal following. I go often, and my 3 favorite places simply serve me. I don't order, I am in their kitchen. I like sashimi (no rice) and sushi (has rice). One place I go is a Japanese style sushi restaurant - no rolls and no cream cheese. Most of the locals in this area walk out after seeing there are no "fire rolls". Nearly all the customers are Japanese, and then I come along. We were turned away our first visit, they thought we would not like their authentic style. Now we are welcome, and the sushi chef treats me as if I was his guest. It is respect earned by enjoying their preparation.

I do hope this new place is a hit. I miss sushi when in Baja.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 04:27 PM

it truly is amazing how many people's idea of sushi is a California Roll..... NOT. Ain't even real fish; imitation crab at best. But, I can attest, could be worse; here in New Mexico every Sushi restaurant without fail has a ''Green Chili Roll'', and yes, it usually has cream cheese.
:barf:

I've been blessed to have had sushi in several different States, it's a passion for me also. Had it in Baja, and had the incredible pleasure of almost a month on the island of Hokkaido in Japan, ate sushi twice a week.... fabulous. I can also attest the BEST I've had other than in Japan was in Salt Lake City; one of the oldest Japanese restaurants of the City opened a Sushi Bar back in the '90's, and the old guy that owned it all was the Sacho-San. He made it like he learned it, many years before.

I wish the best for the new place in Santa R., as it's my new sister-city; can't wait to get down to try it.... the pics look fantastic.
I doubt they have flying fish roe and quail's eggs though! (my fave dessert dish) :bounce:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 04:44 PM

There is a really good sushi restaurant in Taos, New Mexico, buddha. We hit it this past summer. It's owned and run by a Japanese guy from San Diego. We told him that we were from SoCal at one time and where we had lived and he named our favorite sushi place before we could mention it. Gen Kai in Dana Point.

His stuff is great. I did have some version of a green chile roll but it had no CC.

It's in the area where the Overland store in, before you get into Taos proper.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 05:05 PM

So a sushi restaurant has been opened by people who run an extermination business, which must be lucrative. Frankly. the only restaurant we would frequent in Santa Rosalia for many years has been El Muelle. But I think we'll give this place a try.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 05:42 PM

Whenever the shootings stop here we run down to Plaza Nautico kitty corner from Chedraui on the Abasolo (corner of Colima). In the corner of this strip mall is Jiro Sushi and it's pretty much is as good as any very good Japanese sushi/sashimi house in the US. It's even better than some in Japan. If you catch them on a day they have fresh tuna you're sit'ten in tall cotton. It is however not easy to find fresh tuna in La Paz, Cabo pretty much gobbles it all up.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 06:27 PM

Hook - I certainly agree, Gen Kai in Dana Point is a great one. Live scallops and fresh uni on some nights, prepared as you watch. I always look to see what the specials are on their board, hard to beat.
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sd
Hook - I certainly agree, Gen Kai in Dana Point is a great one. Live scallops and fresh uni on some nights, prepared as you watch. I always look to see what the specials are on their board, hard to beat.

I'll third Gen Kai in Dana Point also. Love the yellowtail cheeks when they have them.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 12:51 AM

HOOK: never did Santa Faux or Taos yet, but I imagine that's where the better upscale spots are in the State. Would you believe, and this is no scata, there's a sushi bar in Cortez Colorado now? Ain't bad....... ain't great, but ......

BAJAHOWODD, if Muelle is the only restaurant you eat at in Sta. R., you ain't been fed the best yet by far. Many good eateries there from small to large. Granted, it ain't bad, but......

MULEGEJIM, ahhhhh...................... FISHFACE! Saved for favored customers usually. Was treated to it when I was a frequent denizen early 90's. Too many yeller heads end up as soup. Even in Yeller Heaven they cook the collar or smoke it, but rarely split the head and broil it. OH, YUMM.

Damn, here we got tilapia, tilapia and .......... you know..... the New Mexico Game and Fish (Filch?) warns in the annual proclamation that fish caught in our local waters (Elephant's Butt Res.) are portioned at 1 portion PER MONTH PER PERSON due to high toxic stuff in the meat.
Don't need street lights though, our people glow in the dark. :O

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
HOOK: never did Santa Faux or Taos yet, but I imagine that's where the better upscale spots are in the State. Would you believe, and this is no scata, there's a sushi bar in Cortez Colorado now? Ain't bad....... ain't great, but ......

BAJAHOWODD, if Muelle is the only restaurant you eat at in Sta. R., you ain't been fed the best yet by far. Many good eateries there from small to large. Granted, it ain't bad, but......

MULEGEJIM, ahhhhh...................... FISHFACE! Saved for favored customers usually. Was treated to it when I was a frequent denizen early 90's. Too many yeller heads end up as soup. Even in Yeller Heaven they cook the collar or smoke it, but rarely split the head and broil it. OH, YUMM.

Damn, here we got tilapia, tilapia and .......... you know..... the New Mexico Game and Fish (Filch?) warns in the annual proclamation that fish caught in our local waters (Elephant's Butt Res.) are portioned at 1 portion PER MONTH PER PERSON due to high toxic stuff in the meat.

Wow! a sushi place in Cortez. Astounding.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha

So give me a few alternatives, Buddha man

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.