Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cell Phones, Telcel, Movistar
jay045
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 10:30 AM
Cell Phones, Telcel, Movistar

We're coming to La Paz for a few weeks, and I've been trying to learn what I can ahead of time. I'd like to use a Movistar or Telcel sim card for one or both of our phones (she has an old AT&T go phone that we might just activate with AT&T).

Some questions:

1) Which one (Movistar or Telcel) works best on the transpeninsular. We're driving down from San Diego, and I know we're going to hit long stretches without service. I saw the map for Cellular Maps.com-Mexico Network Coverage Comparison but wasn't sure if it was accurate; seemed like Movistar wasn't quite as robust.

2) Does it matter where our number is assigned? Since we live in San Diego and go to northern Baja more frequently, it might make sense to get a TJ number. Would that make it more expensive to call within La Paz?

We can use my Verizon-networked phone on our way down, but it would be nice to have Telcel set up in case we need to make calls from the road.

3) I'm unlocking my Samsung Galaxy S3 (Verizon)...is it likely to work? It is set for GSM networks, but I know there were issues with actually accessing networks with the phone.

Thanks in advance,

Jay
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 03:04 PM

I) I've had Movistar & now I have Telcel. I didn't notice much difference with coverage between La Paz and CSL, but there are definitely more Telcel outlets around. The big gaps in service coming down are outside of towns and in the middle of nowhere, right where you wish you had some form of communication.

2) You should get the number in La Paz so you have a local number when you are here, for the benefit of yourself and anyone local calling you. You can put Skype on your phone and use it with wireless when you have the chance.

3) I unlocked my husband's Samsung Galaxy 3 weeks ago, got the sim from telcel and it worked like a charm :)
jay045
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 03:10 PM

Awesome, that's exactly the information I was looking for! Thanks.

Jay

Quote:
Originally posted by latina
I) I've had Movistar & now I have Telcel. I didn't notice much difference with coverage between La Paz and CSL, but there are definitely more Telcel outlets around. The big gaps in service coming down are outside of towns and in the middle of nowhere, right where you wish you had some form of communication.

2) You should get the number in La Paz so you have a local number when you are here, for the benefit of yourself and anyone local calling you. You can put Skype on your phone and use it with wireless when you have the chance.

3) I unlocked my husband's Samsung Galaxy 3 weeks ago, got the sim from telcel and it worked like a charm :)
VWTim

[*] posted on 11-17-2014 at 05:53 PM

I used a Telcel in my Nexus 5 when we were in BCS earlier this year. Worked great between Los Cabos, La Paz, and Todos Santos. I bought mine in advance from a company in Texas, easy google search.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-17-2014 at 06:15 PM

if you buy your phone down here you can save a bundle and get a better phone that you cant even get in the USA. My Inco smart phone has 2 slots for cards and I have both Movie star and Tecel or I can put chip for AT&T if I want has android 4.4 kit kat for under 2000 mx. sim cards are about 10 bucks.

here is link http://www.celularactual.com/2014/08/04/inco-storm-ii-un-kit...

this phone is open when you buy it.

[Edited on 11-18-2014 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2014 at 06:31 PM
Regarding Sim Cards

An annoyance: Sim cards are disactivated if not used within a 2-3 month period, the techies down here say, so plan on buying a new sim card and getting a new phone number if you're a seasonal Baja traveler. Sim cards are about $100-$150 pesos, no worries.

Good news: once your phone of choice is opened it is permanently open.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 11-17-2014 at 07:08 PM

No difference.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 01:48 PM

There is a big difference between the two services. Movistar has a good number of towers in La Paz but as soon as you get away from the city, their number of towers is much lower and you will find more areas of non-reception. They are cheaper, however, if you are going to make calls back into the states.
Telcell has more towers and a greater coverage area but is more expensive per minute.

jay045
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 02:16 PM

Thanks all for replying to my original post, I really appreciated it.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 02:35 AM

I've had nothing but good service from mexicosimcard.com. Used with both Verizon (unlocked GSM) and AT&T GoPhone (also unlocked)

Their SIMs and minutes cost about 20% more than if you buy in Mexico, but I feel like it's well worth it to have them in hand before you leave.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.