Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: coast road to San Evaristo
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2014 at 01:30 PM
coast road to San Evaristo

Anyone know what the road conditions are currently like from La Paz to San Evaristo along the coast road? Would like to explore it in a couple weeks.

Cheers!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-14-2014 at 01:50 PM

I have been wondering the same thing. Since I am cooling my heels in Centennario in between dental appointments, I should go check it out!
I will give it a go tomorrow and report back.
What I would really like to know, is what is the road headed west from there back to Mex 1 like? I drove it two years ago and there was unrepaired storm damage then that was slow going, but a lot of fun.
Any body been on it lately?
G.L.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2014 at 06:04 PM

I went in May 2014. It is a nice drive. Me in a Toyota Tacoma 4WD. Some soft gravel areas. High clearance is nice to have, 2WD would have been OK. A slow drive.

Go and have fun, take food and drinks, nothing there, just fisherman and incredible views.
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2014 at 06:21 PM

We have done that trip after rain and we used our 4 wheel drive a lot...but the funniest thing was that about halfway to San Evaristo we came across the only other car we saw the whole day...a big old chevrolet...with the lone driver, who was somewhat intoxicated...and relayed that the road was good....I guess he was used to it and we never saw him stuck on the way back...too funny.
Anyways it really is a beautiful drive with some incredible rock formations and lots of great views...Just like sd said make sure you've got lunch and dinner because there is nothing available once you pass the last gas station, including gas....:)
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2014 at 06:48 PM

Great way to go is La Paz to Evaristo, then over the mountains through Mission San Luis Gonzaga to the highway and back to La Paz. Several small villages and very nice people.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2014 at 04:57 PM
drove it today

I made a day trip to San Evaristo today, if you have driven it in the last few years expect it to be about the same, or slightly better if you were there shortly after the storm in Oct of 2012.
From the Pemex at the junction with hiway 1, it was 67 miles, and driving moderately it took three hours, about half of that was on the last 15 miles!
The paved road to San Carlos is in pretty good shape, with the few assorted potholes and washed out shoulders like most of the roads around here. Do not follow the arrow on the highway sign pointing the way to San Evaristo, it dead ends a few hundred yards later where there used to be culverts. Even mud boggers haven't been using it lately.
Right after the river crossing, turn right then keep left on the dirt road headed toward the beach and cross through the mine's ore loading facility and follow the coast parallel to the mine road. The road has been recently graded and is in better shape than most of the dirt roads I have driven this trip, but there are always a few surprises!
From about mile 50 on, there are rough spots and good road, becoming progressively more challenging heading north. The places where the road runs across or up the arroyos are soft, but I never had to put my hubs in. There are long stretches in the last 15 miles that are one lane, so I don't recommend pulling a trailer past the Portugese camp until you have checked out the road.
In 2012, I took the road through the mountains back to Hiway 1, so I knew where to find the road to see what it was like. I expected to reach a choke point about five miles up the pass, but where I was still in 2wd drive last trip, I was in first and second low range 4wd for about a half mile until I found a place I could safely make a three point U-turn!
I got out and looked for tracks, but mine were the only ones there. I don't know if the road is passable, but I know I wasn't equipped to go find out alone!
If anyone goes through there in a quad or dirt bike, I would sure appreciate a report.
The trip to San Evaristo is certainly worth your while, and early morning is the best light. I'm glad I went!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2014 at 08:00 PM

Thanks for the report, I'm thinking about heading over there soon.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 11:51 AM

We do this with several other folks each year. We turn off the highway just S of constitution and go thru Gonzaga (mission, interesting village) and across the stream to the S and thru the mountains to just short of Evaristo. Usually we camp in a dry streambed overnight. We have driven in from Las Pocitas and another route. Very nice people and small villages. Coming down to Sea of Cortez is dramatic. Rarely used 4WD except for exploring other roads (like past Mission La Pasion etc.) We will be in La Paz the first week of December and plan on another trip up into that area this year. Lots of water in the steams even on a dry year. A worthwhile trip.
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 04:39 PM

and thanks from me, too. We'll take the coast road this time and see about doing overland another day. I've wanted to do this trip for several years; this info may make it happen.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 05:58 PM

Post photos please! :light::cool::tumble:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 06:59 PM

Gracias, everyone for the road info :saint:

Hope to ride there in a month or so...will take lots of pics...

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2014 at 09:46 AM

Before anyone takes the road through the mountains to San Evaristo, I thought I should update my concerns about the dramatic descent toward the Sea of Cortez that Jack Swords so aptly described.
In 2012, on the grade climbing up from the junction with the Evaristo road, I crossed a very narrow section of road that was stripped down to bed rock. It was also quite a side slope, and if the approaches to that spot, or some other one are any worse than before, getting stuck is the least of your worries!
I wanted to get a look at it, but as I said before, the road below that section was washed out so badly that it was very slow rock crawling. An old man with an old dog can easily drive in further than they could walk out, so I turned around three or four miles short of the cliffs.
I also need to repeat that in one of the only places that still had dirt on the road, there were no tracks!
If anyone wants to have a go at the trail in the next week or so, U2U me, I might be up for an overnighter.
G.L.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-17-2014 at 10:37 AM

drove up San Evaristo yesterday
road good
the mountain pass is impassable
saw AKgringo's tire tracks
it will take a long time before they get the dozer out there

I have rebuilt the pass many times with my own hands (a few strong friends are an asset)

http://carlosnpainter.smugmug.com/Travel/Baja-California-Nov...

Harald Pietschmann
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2014 at 11:45 AM

4x4ABC, Thanks for a second opinion! I am curious, how far up the pass did you go, and what were you driving?
Also, I own a dozer, and would hate to have to fix that road with steel tracks without front loaders or trucks laying out some fill on those rocks.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2014 at 11:58 AM

Great pics....and insight into the best parts...Thank you :saint::cool:

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2014 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AKgringo
4x4ABC, Thanks for a second opinion! I am curious, how far up the pass did you go, and what were you driving?
Also, I own a dozer, and would hate to have to fix that road with steel tracks without front loaders or trucks laying out some fill on those rocks.

I just had a quick look at the first grade and decided not to continue
damage is usually quite extensive after major storms
only a dozer can fix that in a reasonable time
but nobody really needs the road

drove a G500 yesterday

Harald Pietschmann
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2014 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc
....drove a G500 yesterday

And????? How was it?

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2014 at 08:15 PM

how was the car?
the finest

how was the drive up the coast?
divine

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2014 at 08:24 PM

will you ask "What are you wearing?" next

I can show you what she was wearing

and she talks to butterflies

guess, I will need to wash the car

Harald Pietschmann
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-17-2014 at 08:24 PM

Great pictures and trip report 4x4, thanks for the link.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.