Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: El Rosario to santa rosalillita
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 07:35 AM
El Rosario to santa rosalillita

I was wondering if it's possible to get from el Rosario to Santa rosalillita along the beach? If so does anyone have experience with it and how far it is? Also I couldn't remember if there were any gas stations from santa rosalillita up to el Rosario on the highway. Thanks for the help guys.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 09:28 AM

It is close to 220 miles, no services between El Rosario and Santa Rosalillita (on the coast road). My 2007 Road log and photos begin here: http://vivabaja.com/707/page3.html
Since the surfers here are tight lipped about their Seven Sisters region, current information may be hard to find. Posts from members TW, Ateo, and Mexitron are the most recent I believe.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 09:54 AM

Buy a Baja Almanac and hit the road, it's more fun that way.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 09:57 AM

The roads don't go along the coast really. Not to mention the reports I got back from my buddy who was down there in October is that the roads are really bad. You'll need to have a nice rig with lots of supplies, spare parts, etc to feel confident. I have heard there is are some possible farms of illegal nature along that drive, so I'd be careful where you go.

Probably be best to talk about this to people on private messenger.

[Edited on 11-19-2014 by BooJumMan]
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 10:21 AM

Your question about gas is, yes and no. There are barrel-pumping sellers at the BOLA Jct and in Cataviņa, if you're going north from Sta. R-tita back towards El Rosario. You'll pay a higher price, and you never know how clean or old the fuel is. South of the Sta. R-tita Jct and Hwy 1 the closest is Villa Jesus Maria, and one military checkpoint in between.

Take lots of Jerry cans. You'll be doing an 'OG' Baja adventure. Load for bear, and don't forget to post your trip if you do it.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 10:34 AM

There is no access along the coast south of El Rosario at Bahia San Carlos to Puerto Catarina. You would need to go out to hwy 1 at KM81 then down to KM133 and take the Santa Catarina road to Punta Canoas. The road from Puerto Catarina to Punta Canoas is very very poor and with recent rains may not be passable requiring you to go north to Santa Catarina then south to Punta Canoas. See that part here http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=72822

Costal road from Punta Canoas to Santa Rosalillita is good except for a few silt beds. Other than the Santa Catarina road there are three access roads to Hwy1. The best is the Catavina road at San Jose coming out at Hwy1 at KM169. There is another road to Hwy1 at KM233 Laguna Chapala Cocos Jct. It turns from the ocean at 29-10.825x114-44.400. This was the 2003 Baja 1000 route before it was changed due to silt in the area. There are actually a couple of roads going east in the area and they all come together before going up the mtn. This road will not be passable if there is water on the dry lake bed about 4 miles from the Hwy.

Further south just past Bahia Blanco there is a road to the east at a Jct at 29-05.370x114-36.06. It hits Hwy1 at KM252. At this Jct there is also a road south that follows the coast but has much more silt. On the east road after 5 miles and passing a broken windmill another Jct at what's called Cordornices in the Almanac at 29-05.600x114-32.140. The road south is the main road to Santa Rosalillita. The road east is a good road used by the locals.

Some friends and I did the Santa Rosalillita to Punta Canoas costal route in July this year.

I would recommend a 4x4 especially if in one vehicle and when you get to the silt beds check it out before going thru. There are a few places were you will need to go inland to get around a few wet marsh area along the way. Follow the most used road. There are fish camps along the way.

As said get an almanac. No gas along the coast but you can go to Catavina for gas out of cans.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 10:54 AM

TW is as awesome as ever! :light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 12:00 PM

"a few silt beds" understatement of the month!

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 04:00 PM

Quit saying silt or ged will be posting the picture of his broken leg again.:lol::lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 05:45 PM

Even Malcolm Smith switched to 4 wheels at some point in his life! :light: :lol:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quit saying silt or ged will be posting the picture of his broken leg again.:lol::lol:

where is that guy? i gave him all the intel i had from our trip a month ago. is he out looking for those random silt beds right now?

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 06:33 PM

"There are a few places were you will need to go inland to get around a few wet marsh area along the way."

Oh man, the other big understatement of the month!

I remember a day where we had 3 of the best baja dirt bikes ever that were stuck axle-deep just 6 inches off of the 2-track rut at one of those "few wet marsh areas"!! It took 3 guys to get each bike out!

Can't wait to go back there, esp the Cordonices route up over the top.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot

where is that guy? i gave him all the intel i had from our trip a month ago. is he out looking for those random silt beds right now?

I am up here in BC getting ready to drive down Dec 5th....unless the CT scan says the lump is serious....but I think I will come down for a month anyways as the trip has been the plan since May.

No broken leg pics this time due to popular request :biggrin:

I have kept all the posts regarding Seven Sisters area as well as San Evaristo road as I want to explore them this trip....so BIG THANKS to those recent posters (Woody, TW, AK Gringo, Jack Swords, 4X4abc....sorry if I missed a few).

I will be in Buena Vista for about 10 days for the first leg of my trip....and may invite DT to ride some places....but only if he doesn't insist silt is easy if you just "pin it" :lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 08:05 PM

"I don't always ride in silt but when I do I pin it!"..:lol::lol:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 09:17 PM

I've been up and down that route many times over the last 25 years including this past July. There are silt beds to be sure but we never had any problems getting thru them and we were driving stock vehicles. A 93 Tacoma 4x4 bone stock, a Land Rover also bone stock, a 2008+/- I don't know the year and my 2004 GMC Z71 with a 2 inch lift and 33 inch tires. The worse silt was the coast road south of Bahia Blanco that is west of the main road. Twice we went inland to avoid the marsh areas. We camped at the Santa Rosalillita point and fished at Playa el Marron catching several fish, Yellow Fin croakers and Corbinas. We camped at Punta Cono where fishing was not very good but the view was great. Went into Catavina for gas and camped in the rocks outside of town. Left the coast to hwy 1 thru Santa Catarina. Did not see or have any problems with any bad guys. Met many friendly people including a law student getting ready for his last year at Idaho State.
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 09:45 PM

thanks guys. Trying to figure out if I can make it gas wise in my car otherwise it sounds like a fun adventure.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 10:01 PM

LJ,
Pack some extra gas, food, camping stuff, and don't get stuck....and it should be an epic trip. :cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I've been up and down that route many times over the last 25 years including this past July. There are silt beds to be sure but we never had any problems getting thru them and we were driving stock vehicles. A 93 Tacoma 4x4 bone stock, a Land Rover also bone stock, a 2008+/- I don't know the year and my 2004 GMC Z71 with a 2 inch lift and 33 inch tires. The worse silt was the coast road south of Bahia Blanco that is west of the main road. Twice we went inland to avoid the marsh areas. We camped at the Santa Rosalillita point and fished at Playa el Marron catching several fish, Yellow Fin croakers and Corbinas. We camped at Punta Cono where fishing was not very good but the view was great. Went into Catavina for gas and camped in the rocks outside of town. Left the coast to hwy 1 thru Santa Catarina. Did not see or have any problems with any bad guys. Met many friendly people including a law student getting ready for his last year at Idaho State.

I think Hurricane Simon dumped a lot of rain down there...wonder what became of the road. Silt beds, after drying out for a couple weeks, would be easy to drive over, nicely recompacted.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LukeJobbins
Trying to figure out if I can make it gas wise in my car.

I hope you mean "truck" and not "car. =)

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 08:12 AM

or Jeep/ SUV ?

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.