BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Thanks to Scotty while it lasted.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 08:32 AM
Thanks to Scotty while it lasted.

Scotty is getting out of the restaurant business after 12-13 years in Mulege and I for one am going to be really sad to see him go. For all that time we could always count on him to have something that was very well prepared, actually way over the top in terms of preparation. Some things like his French Dip Sandwiches were so good that if you did not set your schedule and arrive early, you might be left out and ordering a hamburger instead. He did some pastas that were as good as anything I have ever had at the Macaroni Grill and he did a better job on squid than anyone I have ever known.

I can easily understand that the long hours and not enough reward monetarily to keep the whole thing going. He is turning it over to his two cooks but we shall hope that turns out well. Zulema is still there but only during the day.

I know it is selfish on my part to wish that he would stay, but I also understand that it is smart to know when to move on. I just want to say that we will certainly miss him and wish him a lot of success in whatever he undertakes.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 08:49 AM

I couldn't agree more.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Scotty is getting out of the restaurant business after 12-13 years in Mulege and I for one am going to be really sad to see him go. For all that time we could always count on him to have something that was very well prepared, actually way over the top in terms of preparation. Some things like his French Dip Sandwiches were so good that if you did not set your schedule and arrive early, you might be left out and ordering a hamburger instead. He did some pastas that were as good as anything I have ever had at the Macaroni Grill and he did a better job on squid than anyone I have ever known.

I can easily understand that the long hours and not enough reward monetarily to keep the whole thing going. He is turning it over to his two cooks but we shall hope that turns out well. Zulema is still there but only during the day.

I know it is selfish on my part to wish that he would stay, but I also understand that it is smart to know when to move on. I just want to say that we will certainly miss him and wish him a lot of success in whatever he undertakes.

The last time we were in Mulege Scottys was the only reason we could come up with to stay more than one night. He will be missed.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 02:29 PM

He and his mom truly did an outstanding job there! He will be missed, but hopefully the cooks can keep up the good work.

good luck on your next adventure,Scotty! and if it is in Baja somewhere....someone please let us know!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 05:57 PM

He has been open shortened hours for several years. Kinda felt like he was not feeling it any more. We went to Los Equipales when we were disappointed that Scotty was closed. Pretty good.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
He has been open shortened hours for several years. Kinda felt like he was not feeling it any more. We went to Los Equipales when we were disappointed that Scotty was closed. Pretty good.

Groan.....
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

Groan.....

No le gusto Los Equipales?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 05:00 PM

Well, I have always liked Equipales better....

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 05:28 PM

Scotty's I think catered more to the American crowd's tastes, where Los Equipales has a more traditional Baja fare on the menu. There are a number of good eateries in Mulege, and I've had good and not so good meals at most of 'em, depending on the day. At L.E. you get it best when the owner is there. You were treated grandly too. Scotty's was great food, but as a host, meh. At Ray's I thought the food was 'good', not stellar, but Ray knew how to schmooze you into believing it was.

El Candil will always be an institution, no matter who runs it. Too good of a location and great building to ever be boarded up, so i'm sure it will be there tomorrow, and the next day, and the next..... it's the nature of Things in Mulege. People come and go, but .... I believe Mulegena put it best; the Little Town that Keeps Going.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha

El Candil will always be an institution, no matter who runs it. Too good of a location and great building to ever be boarded up, so i'm sure it will be there tomorrow, and the next day, and the next..... it's the nature of Things in Mulege. People come ... the Little Town that Keeps Going.

El Candil is still open. The cooks are still cooking-- Scotty personally trained 'em to his impeccable standards.

Come to El Candil. Should be the same good food cooked by the same good cooks and served by the same beautiful waitress Zulema and drinks mixed and served to you by the same able bartender Omar.

Pizza was the special today.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 06:59 PM

yes, the little town that could... its weathered some tough times over the last decade, hopefully weather patterns will vere east or west at Loreto from now on and leave Mulege alone for a decade or two. If you can't find some old time charm in Mulege, you'r simply missing ol school baja, lo profile town that has pretty much stayed the same, unlike some other locations. Can't beat the food at the typical above stated local spots, but also has a few local taco places that are pretty good as well. Sorry to hear about Scotty moving on, but I am sure the tradition of good food and drinks will continue
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 7-10-2016 at 07:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

2X:cool:
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2016 at 08:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGlenn  

2X:cool:

if you stay here in Nomad more than 3 days, you will easily learn to smile more than 2x about this guy.:lol::lol::lol:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 03:36 AM

WASSUP WITH THIS? THIS POST IS YEARS OLD?

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 05:18 AM

Didn't even notice the dates, i'll delete my post.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 12:34 PM

LOL! I didnt notice, either.

So, DID Scotty leave Mulege? IF so, where did he take his culinary skills?
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 04:45 PM

WASSUP WITH THIS? THIS POST IS YEARS OLD?

Looks like someone is tolling you, my friend.:lol:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 06:13 PM

"Tolling" , Wodd?

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 06:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
LOL! I didnt notice, either.

So, DID Scotty leave Mulege? IF so, where did he take his culinary skills?

Yes, he left last year or the year before. I think he's in Oregon or Washington but not sure. Mellow dude and good chef.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2016 at 07:36 AM

and is Candil still open?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.