Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Predatory practices at Amazon.com
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 03:00 PM
Predatory practices at Amazon.com

For years we have ordered from Amazon and had it sent to a friends house to bring down for us. Lately we have read some negative things about Amazon and their predatory practices. We have questioned our future use of their service. In Sept. we had a rather large order sent to a friend in Vegas to bring down for us. They just showed up missing one large item worth over $200. They say they never saw the item in question. We contacted Amazon this AM thinking that since it was over a month ago we were sol. This is Amazon's response:

"Hello,
I'm sorry about the problem with your recent order. This is certainly not what we want our customers to experience.
To help you with this, I've immediately created a replacement for you at no additional charge. I've also upgraded the shipping speed to make up for the inconvenience. Here are the details:
Order Number:
Guaranteed Delivery Date: November 2014
You can also check the status of your replacement order by clicking the link provided below:

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,"

It's pretty hard to NOT do business with Amazon.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 03:31 PM
similar experience

We had a similar experience during this past month. A shipment we ordered to be delivered in Texas apparently never got there on the date Amazon told us it had arrived. Two days later we called Amazon, they immediately sent a replacement order, and it arrived the very next day.

Later we found out the original package had in fact been delivered but the person receiving the order didn't tell anyone and put it where no one thought to look.

So, the receiver now had two packages. We called Amazon to pay for the extra shipment and they told us they had already written it off, declining our offer of payment. Not an expensive purchase ($25) - but the prompt response was actually unbelievable.

That action has solidified our opinion of Amazon.

John M
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 04:15 PM

I bought an item through Amazon on sale and was charged regular price + shipping.(supposed to be free) . Contacted them and by the time I got back to my email...correction had been made! Great folks!

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 04:23 PM

Ditto. Just a few weeks ago, I purchased some 'stuff', and my order came only a quarter-filled of the items; I contacted the seller with my complaint; no packing list supplied, just 'my word' for it... Amazon also sent me an email they were monitoring the situation and wanted to make sure of satisfaction. The seller not only immediately sent me my missing items, but threw in a couple of extra ones as a 'oops, sorry!' gift.

My only questionable feelings for them are cookies; once I've perused any item on Amazon, not purchasing, mysteriously all the ads on my MSN home page are of that item or similar items... I don't like being 'tracked', but ...... 99% HOORAY for 'em. Being in the middle of nowhere it's a great way to get stuff.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 04:33 PM

bajabuddha, download Ghostery. You can decide, page-by-page or browser-wide, what cookies, trackers and beacons you want or don't want.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 04:41 PM

They have been moving our Old Mission books very well from all that I have heard.

The Old Missions on Amazon

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
bajabuddha, download Ghostery. You can decide, page-by-page or browser-wide, what cookies, trackers and beacons you want or don't want.

Thanks for the tip, will try it. We too have noticed the tracking.

weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
They have been moving our Old Mission books very well from all that I have heard.

Interesting comment. I'm not sure if you're promoting your book or praising Amazon but one of the most damning things I have read about Amazon is their squeezing of the "little guy" authors. Do they allow you a decent profit? I happen to believe you are entitled to a handsome remuneration.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 07:16 PM
Amazon Smile

If you order through Amazon Smile, Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible Amazon Smile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice. Same Amazon service, help out a good cause

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
Quote:

I'm not sure if you're promoting your book or praising Amazon.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes, he does that a lot.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 07:30 PM

If you have a horn, blow it

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure if you're promoting your book or praising Amazon.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes, he does that a lot.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 07:38 PM

on a side note, it use to be I had to order amazon using a virtual IP address, now they don't seem to care? but yeah, how america shops! just try to have deliveries go to the work place if you can:yes:
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 07:56 PM

Quote:

Interesting comment. I'm not sure if you're promoting your book or praising Amazon but one of the most damning things I have read about Amazon is their squeezing of the "little guy" authors. Do they allow you a decent profit? I happen to believe you are entitled to a handsome remuneration.

I also sell books through Amazon ... but I won't let them inventory and ship. I receive orders by email and I ship. Their commission is about 30%, which is acceptable considering I give regular bookstores 40%. They were persistent that I change this for awhile, but I didn't cave in. Call me a control freak.

[Edited on 11-21-2014 by Pappy Jon]

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 08:03 PM

Have 'heard' negative things about Amazon but our experience, and that would be spending close to half of our annual purchases via them, has been fantastic. And any customer service issues have been solved quickly and to our benefit as best or better than could be expected. And always on-line as we have no telephone.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 08:11 PM

Is it possible to get stuff shipped (from, for example Amazon) to Baja without having it disappear into customs in Mexico City or some such horror?

I don't mind having to pay some duty. I was told that the duty on construction supplies coming South across the border was something like 16%?

When I was cruising down here 25 years ago I used Downwind Marine and cruisers driving down would pick stuff up from them and deliver it to cruiser hangouts like Santa Rosalia, Puerto Escondido and LaPaz. I dunno if anyone would stop at Mulege.

Sometimes I might like to get a book or some small electronics part. Too for to drive to San Diego for such a small thing.
Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 08:32 PM

We have all our Amazon stuff sent straight to ACV Transport. Then it comes straight to our front door here in BCS.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 08:51 PM

Amazon has done a fantastic job over the years. Glad to hear their customer service is responsive.

All companies track you with cookies. It is a nuisance, but you just have to go into your history tab at the top of your browser and clear the first four items; Browsing and download history, Form and search history, cookies, and cache. Download Malwarebytes for free. They scan for malware and quarantines it all. Then you can delete them. Do this often.

The only quarrels I have with Amazon is: how they held up delivery of small authors' works. I think that is settled now. And they want to be first in using drones for delivery to your door. I wouldn't like that. I hope the FAA disallows it. I don't like drones at all. They are invasive, used to spy, perilous to aircraft, and used to deliver bombs to "war zones", killing too many innocent victims. The negatives outweigh the positives.

I have never read any political opinions from David K with which I agree. However, I have no problem with him promoting his books. He does a great job with Baja History and his passion is quite evident.
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
My only questionable feelings for them are cookies; once I've perused any item on Amazon, not purchasing, mysteriously all the ads on my MSN home page are of that item or similar items... I don't like being 'tracked', but ...

This sight uses a program, from Google I believe, that picks cookies from your computer and displays the ads you see at the top of the forum pages.
Skeet/Loreto didn't know that and he posted a hilarious rant about leaving Bajanomad because the ads at the top of his page were for the strip clubs in the area of Texas where he lives.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 09:16 AM

Tony - good to hear from you!

David - good point about the books.

Amazon - great job all around it seems .... pretty amazing for such a huge company.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 09:37 AM

Quote:

dk,
i see on amazon that you wrote 50% of the "customer reviews" of your book. "customer reviews" are supposed to be by customers, not authors! :lol::lol:

p.s. i like amazon, but i also like many other internet retailers. i find i can still shop around and find a few non-amazon vendors that will sell without collecting sales tax, though they seem to be vanishing breed.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.