Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Traveling Solo W/dog
SDGUY

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 08:36 AM
Traveling Solo W/dog

Hello,

I'm new here, and I really appreciate the site.

I travel alone in my RV with my dog and would like to go to Baja. If I get in an accident and have to go to the police station to sort things out, what will happen to my dog in the meantime?

Thanks,
Blake
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 08:54 AM

Your dog will probably stay in the RV for a short time. Get insurance. This will help keep you out of jail in a minor accident, assuming you are not DUI.

Welcome aboard! Where are you heading?

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 08:58 AM

Stop be us if you are coming this far south and introduce your dog to our dog Rex !

Have a safe trip and if this is your first time down: there are afew police checkpoints and they have rifles. This is the norm here - they are checking vehicles for drugs and weapons (which includes pocketknives). Always keep your docs and wallet on your person as you exit vehicle for inspection. Always keep an eye on the military guys rifling thru the car.

remember to get your visa as soon as you cross the border

welcome to bajanomad and have a great trip!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 09:01 AM

actually, I guess they have machine guns and not rifles (what do I know???)

but they are scary looking and harmless unless you are guilty!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
SDGUY

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 09:31 AM

I certainly have insurance, and guns/soldiers don't really bother me. What I'm concerned about is something happening to my dog because there is nobody with me to watch her if I have to go in for questioning. I don't get drunk, carry weapons, fight, mouth off, use drugs, or do any of the other stupid things that get people in trouble in Mexico. I'm just looking out for my doggie.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 09:50 AM

You and the dog will be fine. I doesn't sound like you'll have any issues. There have been times that folks here have been in accidents and have had the dog run off. If that happens put a piece of clothing or something she knows the last place you saw her with some water. Come back later or the next day she'll be there. Keep her on a leach when you need to.

How many times have you been questioned anywhere? I spend 30+ days a year in Baja for 20 plus years and have never gone to the station. If you are in a camp ask a somebody to spot you up, if there are issues. I'd feed/ walk/care for your dog if need be.

You're a good guy to care, welcome to Nomads.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 09:50 AM

Starting off your Baja adventure with too much trivial paranoia will not enhance your experience; just don't get in a wreck in the first place. If you do on Hwy 1 your dog will be the least of your worries; chances are, there will be a good person that will fill in the gaps you're concerned about. Also, your dog will probably take better care of you than you of it, especially protection-wise.... at the military inspections, if they ask you "Es el perro bravo?" tell 'em "Si, un poco..." and your time there will be shortened. Have a collar tag with your ID info on it in case you do get separated. And above all, keep the black side down on the road. Enjoy your travels; sounds like you have good company.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 09:53 AM
Your Dog

Take several photos of your dog for ID purposes and put them on a memory stick.

Make up a poster (Spanish on one side/English on the other) with photos in the event your dog get's lost....put on the above memory stick

Have ID tags on your dog in both English and Spanish with contact numbers in the US and if possible baja

No matter how well trained, keep your dog on a leash

Bring your dog's shot records.......can't remember ever being asked for the int'l health certificate

Bring dog food in original containers (although that has never been a problem for us)

When you get to a military checkpoint and they want you to get out of the vehicle, leash your dog

Don't worry about getting in an accident, but be prepared. Carry all of your important stuff (ID, money, documents - passport & FMM), vehicle registration and insurance, cameras, I-pad or I-pod in a backpack that you can take with you when you leave the vehicle

Have fun and let us know how the trip was

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 09:59 AM

I also travel alone with my dog, and even though she has zero guard dog instincts, many of the soldiers at the check points are wary of gringo dogs. Keep your leash at hand, and hook it up when you stop at the checkpoints.
The paper work for traveling in Mexico, and entering back into the US is the same as flying with pets, but in four trips with Cleo, nobody has asked for anything from me.
There are good vets down here if you need one, and they charge far less than up north. Medican, on the west side of La Paz is a good English speaking vet if you get this far south.
Maranatha camp and RV park, just west of La Paz, is dog friendly with lots of room to roam the grounds.
Have a great trip!

One more tip, keep a set of heavy duty tweezers, or needle nose pliers handy in case your dog picks up a few cactus spines. Don't make the poor critter wait to find a vet! I have not had problems with ticks or fleas, but watch for them as well.

[Edited on 11-21-2014 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SDGUY

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
You and the dog will be fine. I doesn't sound like you'll have any issues. There have been times that folks here have been in accidents and have had the dog run off. If that happens put a piece of clothing or something she knows the last place you saw her with some water. Come back later or the next day she'll be there. Keep her on a leach when you need to.

How many times have you been questioned anywhere? I spend 30+ days a year in Baja for 20 plus years and have never gone to the station. If you are in a camp ask a somebody to spot you up, if there are issues. I'd feed/ walk/care for your dog if need be.

Thanks for the offer. That's very nice of you. It sounds like people will help me there that wouldn't help me in the states. Maybe a little like boating. Is that right?
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDGUY
I certainly have insurance, .

Be certain to have mexican insurance, which you can purchase for the number of days you will be in baja. Different requirements for travelling in north or south baja.

sbwontoo
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
I certainly have insurance, and guns/soldiers don't really bother me. What I'm concerned about is something happening to my dog because there is nobody with me to watch her if I have to go in for questioning. I don't get drunk, carry weapons, fight, mouth off, use drugs, or do any of the other stupid things that get people in trouble in Mexico. I'm just looking out for my doggie.

...from past experience,I'd say that as for humans,,,the Baja frontier can have some stark surprises for gringo-dogs!!

...whether it be the 'heaven' of a pile of rotting fish guts under a bush at bajia Constitution,,,, cats that stand their ground in Loreto,,,,or coyotes who encircle the camp before collectively letting lose a loud HOWL!!......although he survived the experiences ,,I'd say poor Ed lost a few years on that trip :no:
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 12:36 PM

For many in Baja, they are a bit out of the "normal day to day", many will get to know a camper next to them better then a neighbor they have lived next door to for years. For the most part many of us will help a fellow traveler out in the time of need. I have made some great friends at some very remote beaches.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc

Thanks for the offer. That's very nice of you. It sounds like people will help me there that wouldn't help me in the states. Maybe a little like boating. Is that right?

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

SDGUY

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fandango
Quote:
I certainly have insurance, .

Be certain to have mexican insurance, which you can purchase for the number of days you will be in baja. Different requirements for travelling in north or south baja.

There is different insurance requirements for North and South baja? You sure about that? Ive never heard that before. What's the difference?
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 01:28 PM

The amount of liability coverage that you need to have is higher in baja sur than in baja.

sbwontoo
SDGUY

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 01:31 PM

Oh I see. Thanks. I go overboard on liability anyway.
SDGUY

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:

...from past experience,I'd say that as for humans,,,the Baja frontier can have some stark surprises for gringo-dogs!!

...whether it be the 'heaven' of a pile of rotting fish guts under a bush at baja Constitution,,,, cats that stand their ground in Loreto,,,,or coyotes who encircle the camp before collectively letting lose a loud HOWL!!......although he survived the experiences ,,I'd say poor Ed lost a few years on that trip :no:

I hear ya. Your coyote experience is unsettling to say the least. Sounds like a good reason to carry bear spray. What about stray dogs? I figured they would be a real problem.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 01:49 PM

welcome to the sandbox SDguy...in the event of something happening, you can always contact us on this site. There are many Nomads living and traveling throughout baja who can assist you in times of trouble.

dont forget to clean up your doggies doo doo when necessary!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
SDGUY

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
welcome to the sandbox SDguy...in the event of something happening, you can always contact us on this site. There are many Nomads living and traveling throughout baja who can assist you in times of trouble.

dont forget to clean up your doggies doo doo when necessary!

The office manager at my current RV park in Nor Cal told me I'm the only tenant who actually cleans up after their dog. Even the owner told me he waits for the lawnmower to pick up after his own dog. I swear I've seen more dog crap in RV parks since moving aboard my coach than I had seen in the decade previous. It's just wrong.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
I hear ya. Your coyote experience is unsettling to say the least. Sounds like a good reason to carry bear spray. What about stray dogs? I figured they would be a real problem.

...as I recall,the coyote experience was much more fun than unsettling--for the humans at least...those coyotes were playing coyote games. Ed didn't see the humor and was very happy to sleep in the van with the humans after that.

...iirc,,,encounters with stray dogs were usually pretty friendly...definitely less unsettling for Ed than giving chase to a cat.....only to get stared-down!

...Ed was no 'pooch' either...he started his life on a native reserve in Laborador..definitely tucked and covered for gunshots and loud noises,,but was very saavy at holding his own with all comers in the dog world.

....stand-down cat was deeply humiliating other than the scratch to his nose and the rotten fishguts cost him some years I'm sure of it. :(

.....in any case,,each Baja adventure has it's own surprises....for you're pre-thinking and enquiry here,,you and pooch are more likely to have a good one!;D

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.